What's new

stringbean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just last weekend I acquired a NEO GEO big red machine. I was looking around here and I noticed there aren't a whole lot of threads about restoring these in comparison to other candy cabinets. The monitor on this machine is pretty dark and the colors are off. It is a night and day difference in comparison to my Astro City. I was thinking the first step would be to pull the monitor, clean it, and either recap the control board myself or have it professionally done. I found the board with all the potentiometers to adjust monitor settings and no amount of tweaking those was doing anything helpful. To all those monitor experts, any recommendations?

wysQW7G.jpg

FkC6CKj.jpg

Making adjustments on arcade monitors can be a little rough. So I present to you the guide:

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/How_to_Correctly_Set_Up_Monitor_Colours_and_Brightness

Read twice, and read along as you go.

Once you're done you'll have figured out if there's something actually wrong, or things are just WAYYYYY out of balance.

There may also be pots on the neckboard and/or the chassis depending on the monitor, so you may want to investigate there too.

Red is off, could be a pot or a transistor on the neck. It could also be a worn out tube on the red gun, rejuvining could do the job but is not granted

Thanks, y'all. I'll do some reading and investigate the issue further.

Rejuving is a last effort kind of deal.

Rewrite sent a good link, its a great starting place. Theres a few really good videos on YouTube as well.
I have bought a number of cabinets that came in from the wild in the US and I am always kind of dumb founded sometimes why the colors and brightness are really wonky. A few simple adjustment usually fixes this for me.

In my experiences though it can be a number of things and it will depend how you want to start and what needs to be done.
Always start with the easy stuff when doing any adjustments on monitors.

Here's some thoughts from my own experiences and readings.

-Read the wiki link above and other information about color adjustments online and on YouTube to get more familiar with the process.

Consider the following 2 items first
-cap change (if you intend to keep this chassis its probably not a bad idea to do it)
-adjust the color gains or bias using the trim pots on the neck board or chassis sometimes they can be on the remote board too. See if it makes any discernible differences.

Failing components can sometimes be as follows:
-corrosion on the color adjustment pot
-broken color adjustment pot or bad solder joints
-bad solder joints on the color transistors on the neck board
-worn out color transistor on the neck board (there are 3, each is responsible for one color)
-worn out tube or color guns

-color gun has lots of deposits inside the neck reducing its output efficiency.
( This is where a rejuvenation can sometimes help. It applies excess power to the color gun and blasts/burns the deposits off the gun. The only side effect of this is it can blast those deposits over to another color gun or put undue stress on the gun. In severe cases it could potentially kill the gun ruining the entire gun assembly inside the crt neck.) In my book this is a final attempt to correct the issue.

Always start with the simple stuff and move your way up only when your sure you need to.

:)

I still need to follow the adjustment guide, but I definitely want to install a new cap kit on the monitor. I peeked into the back of the arcade machine and I can see the monitor is a Wells Gardner 25K7193 with a Zenith tube. At first, I thought maybe someone had done a tube swap but now I'm thinking not since I read online others that had a zenith tube in their k7000 monitors. I went ahead and bought a cap kit from arcade parts and repair out of Montana, but before replacing those I'll see if I can get a proper setup with the RGB cutoff & gain, color, and brightness pots.

Thanks for the links, y'all. I'm hoping after some adjustments and recapping I can have this baby back looking real nice.

I seen plenty of Zenith tubes paired with WG chassis's so thats nothing to worry about :)

Hum, have you ruled out it's not the board itself? Neo Geo boards can have failures in the DAC which lead to colour issues. I've seen it (and repaired it) before so you might want to try another board in the same cab to rule that out.
Obligatory warning: MVS boards aren't always JAMMA so beware trying the same board on another cab and vice-versa.

@ic3b4ll, I bought an MV-1B a while back off AliExpress, so I'll put that in the system when I receive it. Knowing AliExpress though, that could be another month.

Because of age, recap it if you haven’t already. It’s already 30 years old.

Hum, have you ruled out it's not the board itself? Neo Geo boards can have failures in the DAC which lead to colour issues. I've seen it (and repaired it) before so you might want to try another board in the same cab to rule that out.
Obligatory warning: MVS boards aren't always JAMMA so beware trying the same board on another cab and vice-versa.
True, install a Unibios or Diagnostic bios so you get the color bars to see if the DAC is working properly.

Back