What's new

atro city

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this forum (and to arcade components in general) so I apologize for my lack of experience. I hope this is the right place to post this. I have two Raiden 1 boards (one US/Fabtek, the other Japan/Seibu) that I'm having issues getting working.

When I hook up the JP board to my Parsec and run it through an OSSC I get a good picture with some minor horizontal tears, but no sound. From what I understand, there is a white potentiometer on the board that adjusts volume? I adjusted it both ways and still got no sound. On the Parsec, I have the -5v regulator switched on and the lights for -5v, +5v and +12v all light up when powered on. I also tried flipping the Mono/Stereo switch. I'm using a standard ATX power supply for power if that matters.

The Fabtek board only displays some odd symbols in random locations with mostly a white screen. No sound, of course. I'm not sure where to begin with this one. These are my only two boards so I'm not able to test another one to make sure my setup is good.

I imagine that there is a high chance I'm just doing something wrong, as I'm new to this and doing what I can to learn about arcade PCBs. If it turns out they need capacitors/chip replacements or other repairs, I am open to sending them to someone to do repairs on them.

Thanks in advance

You could upload some photos of the setup to an image host like Imgur and then link them here. The parsec uses a 1/8” stereo jack for audio. Is that connected to the ossc? I think the ossc also has a toggle for its 1/8” stereo jack to be an input or an output. You could try flipping that.

Yep, that was it. Hooked up the audio cable and the sound works perfectly. (don't know how I missed that, duh)

https://imgur.com/EndSb4x

The picture isn't perfect but at this point I'm glad to have it working.

I'm guessing the Fabtek board is just hosed then?

Glad it worked. I meant a photo of your gear! But you could also photo of the image the fabtek board produces. Since you have basically the same game I’d say the US one is shot somehow. It’s actually the exact same pcb right? The us versioning is just rom 4 being different (maybe labeled 4j).

Otherwise I do know raiden is hard to sync sometimes but if the Japan one works then I’d expect the US one to work the same. You could photo the pcbs to confirm that.

First thing to make sure is that the board is getting 5v but again if the Japan one works I’d say you’re fine. If you have a programmer you could check to make sure the program roms are good. Photos of the pcb will show is it’s not a bootleg or something. Program roms are 1 through 4. Four socketed chips between the jamma edge and the dip switch.

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blo...8e5027829d16/src/mame/drivers/raiden.cpp#L442

you could swap those chips from one board to the other as well to confirm they’re good/bad, assuming it’s the same pcb.

Yeah they’re both legit boards. Basically the same hardware and they run the same program code. So you can try swapping chips 1-4 between boards to confirm if the USA ones are good. You’d at least want to see it boot up and see movement in the image. If it doesn’t boot with the Jp program roms, then it could be a dead cpu, dead ram, dead something else. Likewise the Jp board should boot with the USA roms. You can even replace them one at a time to confirm each one is working ok.

best Wiha 27920 Precision Chip Lifter, ESD Safe, 1 x 3.5mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000T9W5DW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_FmFBNiN7BKeCV

Or a thin flathead screwdriver

Back