What's new

Hatsune Mike

Champion
Reaction score
It was me, I got it. I have a lot of work ahead of me.

This poor wounded bird has landed:

OfqwAL1.jpg

Of course, everything about the control panel is bad news. I don't want these American controls in here at all.

On the bright side, the top green acrylic piece is intact and survived the trip.

TvGekCv.jpg

I am also pleased to find it has a front door, even though it's got a notch cut in it.

1qcy7Dj.jpg

The perpetrator has ignored the panel that exists behind the coin door, and drilled holes and put this in the front instead.

e29_front_holes.jpg

Let's see just how bad it is underneath the control panel.

Qk6pnZ0.jpg

XJipnTw.jpg

Oh no...

gmdffyu.jpg

This is how the spinner controller was "isolated"

AiNoexJ.jpg

And a JPAC.

a5wr556.jpg

This is what's left of the nice crimped JAMMA harness.

loWMThG.jpg

The entire control panel upper has been routed out. The metal mounting brackets that should be inside are missing.

VXQCSTP.jpg

This was just twisted, wrapped, and zip-tied. What is this, some grounds? It was routed out of the floppy drive of the old PC that was shoved in there.

Y0z7I97.jpg

The wiring is a hot mess.
0HdNM6a.jpg

They had the gall to remove the inner service panel. Why??
RJUbEM3.jpg

First step for me is going to be to source an entire CP upper. That's going to be hell...

Last edited:
Wow... Brb, pouring out a can of Olde E for that cab. Looking forward to seeing your progress debastardizing this!

Dude... I literally gasped out loud when I saw the upper control panel housing.

If you need any help with the resto let me know; I have much love for these cabs and I've restored 2 already, including one that was dropped upside down off of a truck.

I have loads of photos and info in my resto thread: Taito Egret 29 Restoration I also have a color coded wiring diagram for the whole cab in there.

For some parts you might need, I have CAD drawing I did for the marquee plastic, and I've had made some laser cut front plastics in the past so I know they're properly sized. I also have replacement marquee hardware as I was able to source perfect matches to the original M5 security torx and acorn nuts.

Watch YAJ for a JAMMA sub-harness (the W connector to the JAMMA edge) there's actually one for sale right now for cheap and they pop up from time to time. and I know a month or two ago there was someone selling a couple replacement PSUs on eBay and I think they ended with no bids so they may still be around.

For sure your biggest struggle will be sourcing the proper parts for the control panel :( That shit is unobtanium and I know more than a few people who need new panel uppers and panels.

of course if you need measurements or pics of anything let me know, I'd be happy to help.

Dude... I literally gasped out loud when I saw the upper control panel housing.

If you need any help with the resto let me know; I have much love for these cabs and I've restored 2 already, including one that was dropped upside down off of a truck.

I have loads of photos and info in my resto thread: Taito Egret 29 Restoration I also have a color coded wiring diagram for the whole cab in there.

For some parts you might need, I have CAD drawing I did for the marquee plastic, and I've had made some laser cut front plastics in the past so I know they're properly sized. I also have replacement marquee hardware as I was able to source perfect matches to the original M5 security torx and acorn nuts.

Watch YAJ for a JAMMA sub-harness (the W connector to the JAMMA edge) there's actually one for sale right now for cheap and they pop up from time to time. and I know a month or two ago there was someone selling a couple replacement PSUs on eBay and I think they ended with no bids so they may still be around.

For sure your biggest struggle will be sourcing the proper parts for the control panel :( That shit is unobtanium and I know more than a few people who need new panel uppers and panels.

of course if you need measurements or pics of anything let me know, I'd be happy to help.
The one that was dropped off a truck, you got any pics of that one?

Reactions: AMS
Oh dear god! That poor Egret 29! Why for the love of all that is good, why would someone destroy such a beautiful rare cabinet!

My mouth agaped when I saw the CP work. Good luck to you on this project. This will be an epic restoration. I hope you can source a new CP. Wow. ;(

wrong thread: this belong to the "WTF sales thread" =O

Congrats on the purchase, thats exactly the condition I got my E29, form the same guy that destroyed them to Mameafy them.

Luckily I was able to source all the parts, to restore it

Im finishing up the repro marquee with chamfer cut exact to the original. The green acrylic was an expensive bitch to get, had to order a few 4'x8' sheets.

My all time favourite cab, I never get why someone would want to advertise that they use Mame, it’s like being proud that that you prefer Amstrad to Naim.

damn, you got your work cutout for you on this one!

Great catch, buddy! It needs lots of work but it will definitely worth it.

Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of the base?
Seems that removing control panel let it to pass through not big doors without needing to disassemble it at full.

I got one of their abominations a few years ago too but mine came in a lot worse shape. It was totally striped of everything and missing all the parts including the marquee. Parts are hard to come by. I tried but I couldn’t find enough so I ended up putting all Astro city guts including monitor in it and it’s kinda an egret city now. I’d love to get whole control panel done better one day though or find real one. I ended up just covering with plexi, put on an overlay and put a sega cp on it. Here a pic of mine how I got it and how it currently is. I’d like to find the marquee one day too but then it will be blocking my tv :P
6596710F-276A-4108-8386-5231A6AB18D6.png
13105616-A525-45FB-84E9-2E9BB3A940FD.png

Attachments

• 1D7C9FDD-8286-4FC6-84FF-F7B4CEA1A441.jpeg
    1D7C9FDD-8286-4FC6-84FF-F7B4CEA1A441.jpeg
    12.9 KB · Views: 219
It's funny you say that - since the internals have been gutted my plan was to use a spare New Astro harness I had, and basically wire this thing to be a New Astro inside. I'm lucky that mine has the original MS8-29 in good shape, but I'm definitely upgrading it to an MS9-29 chassis, or even another cursed combination I haven't tested yet.

I was hoping someone from here bought that thing, planning to restore it. I didn't imagine it being that bad though wow.

Back