What's new
Oh wow, I missed that there's a whole thread for it here :sleeping:

Godspeed on the resto!

The person who made this didn't crimp, solder, or even use wire nuts. Every custom connection is done through wire twisting, vinyl tape, and maybe a zip tie.

cZmfeXm.jpg

heL8WXZ.jpg

W0cE1x1.jpg

Last edited:
That's disgusting.
How do we get this guy to stop murdering cabinets?

The guy who produced these "apartmentcade" setups seems to have never learned to crimp, solder, or even use wire nuts. Every custom connection is done through wire twisting, vinyl tape, and maybe a zip tie. I did this kind of thing when i was like twelve years old! These were done by a grown man who is selling these fire hazards.

W0cE1x1.jpg
Oh lord...
I'm glad you rescued this.
Good luck getting er restored.
This cabinet looks like it was a fire waiting to happen.

Seems like a few nice quality cabinets received this unfortunate treatment. Also, some Korean cabinets.

This bloke should be hunted down. Evil like this cannot be simply ignored.

I sourced an upper control panel in a trade with someone on AO. It had been previously painted kind of crudely, so sanding it down and repainting is a must. Here is it after I got through most some of the top light paint, and the grey primer:

e29_panel_primer_sand.jpg

This is it mostly sanded down to the original blue. The areas left in light blue will be covered by panels, so I did not prioritize them.

e29_panel_sanded.jpg

I also tried my best to sand down the areas where cigarettes had melted the cup and ashtray holders. It's still kind of gnarly. Before I painted, it looked like some alien moon crater:

e29_panel_original_crater.jpg

First coat of rustoleum spray paint:
e29_panel_first_coat.jpg

Last edited:
Right, so, with the panel surround looking better, I need to address the missing brackets. The panel underside is difficult to replicate, as the panel top is at a bit of an angle.

@TD-Linux and I did some quick CAD and were able to do some laser cutting at a nearby makerspace.

e29_panel_laser_cut.jpg

The idea is to have some side pieces, as well as a wedge adapter, to perform a similar role as the metal bends in the original design.

e29_panel_wedge_adapter.jpg

Everything fits together roughly like this:

e29_panel_rough_fitment.jpg

This allows the joystick to mount underneath the aluminum control panel.

e29_panel_stick_mount.jpg

I had to do some hasty filing as we neglected to consider the size of the plate when making the second supporting frame.

e29_panel_stick_underside.jpg

Last edited:
With the help of a friend, a worn but original control panel has arrived. It fits well over the replacement bracket.

e29_panel_first_assembly.jpg

The joysticks sit down just a little bit, and the oversized dustwasher is able to properly fit underneath. Until I source the correct black oversized washer, I may paint the top of these clear ones, or laser cut my own. A regular dustwasher is too small.

e29_panel_clear_dustwasher.jpg

Next to tackle is the missing coin plate. I have drawn up a fairly close replication in Illustrator, but getting the custom aluminum cuts as well as the correct printing process and color matching will be a challenge. I will probably make a temporary functional replacement out of acrylic or something, just so I am able to mount the start buttons for the time being.

Last edited:
He created some pretty ugly cab hacks, but please, don't seek out or harass him or anyone.
Nah, not my intent, just funny how things turn out. I just wanted to see what was being done back then, this was around early 2000 time period, and Im sure most of these cabs were seen as trash so repurpose them for mame.

with the panel surround looking better, I need to address the missing brackets
Nice work with reproducing the bracket out of wood!

I think I have a 3D model of the dust washers kicking around somewhere if you're interested. when I was restoring my 2nd one I modeled it and printed some spares In case I ever needed them.

With a temporary coin plate made out of plastic, I'm at least able to mount the start button and get things rolling. I cleaned up the body a good amount as well.

e29_cleaned_up.jpg

I installed a Nanao MS9-29 that I've had on hand (with a spicy mod that will be detailed later). Here is a shot of it first running all assembled:

e29_dark_shot.jpg

The tube is doing great.

e29_batrider_shot.jpg

Finally, for now, the three ugly holes in the front have been covered with a sticker.

e29_tate_hole_cover.jpg

Dammit man that monitor looks dope!

Back