What's new

BroadwayJose

Professional
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting one of these boards and I'm not sure what exactly to expect or which style of arcade cab I should be running this on. Preliminary search for info didn't get me what I was looking for, so hopefully someone here can answer the following questions:
  • Video: 31khz only, 15khz only or both? Hopefully not medium res
  • IO: there seems to be a JVS connection but also a JAMMA edge. Safe to assume controls work with either? How about video?
Any other useful info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm looking at getting one of these boards and I'm not sure what exactly to expect or which style of arcade cab I should be running this on. Preliminary search for info didn't get me what I was looking for, so hopefully someone here can answer the following questions:
  • Video: 31khz only, 15khz only or both? Hopefully not medium res
  • IO: there seems to be a JVS connection but also a JAMMA edge. Safe to assume controls work with either? How about video?
Any other useful info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I have the KOF 2002 UM on the Y2 board, so I can only comment on that.

1 - video is 31 khz (progressive) and 15khz (interlaced)
2 - You can run it as a straight JVS or as a JAMMA. There are dipswitches on the motherboard to change between. In JVS, you can use the 15 pin VGA style connector for the video.

There's not too many games on the system itself

Thank you both. KOF 2002UM is primarily what I'm looking to play on this hardware. What other games came out for the Y2?

Any idea what the pins do on the Y2 board? I have one and I don’t know what the pins do.

Also what’s a good power supply to get for the Y2 board? Do they sell any?

Sorry there’s just so little out there about this system.

idk about power supply demands. My board runs fine in every jamma cabinet and supergun I've tried it on, so I suppose whatever typical arcade power supply should work fine here.

These are the dip settings I'm using at the moment. This produces 15Khz video via jamma and requires coins to start - not sure how to enable free play assuming that's an option at all. I believe there is a test menu? Been a while since I fired this board up.

20220529_093503.jpg

20220529_093510.jpg

Besides the free play configuration the only other question I have is if it's possible to mod the hardware for stereo audio.

I must have been thinking about the KOF98UM game on PGM2 then. Good to know that stereo is an option for this board at least.

I must have been thinking about the KOF98UM game on PGM2 then. Good to know that stereo is an option for this board at least.
It happens dude. I just didn't want you to do an unnecessary mod for something that is already available. Thus, not having to waste time and resources :)

Anyone know if swapping rom boards works on these?

I had a broken kof2k2 and bought a working kof2k2 to try to figure out if its the rom-board or mainboard thats busted but uh.

- New mobo with new rom-board works
- Old mobo with new-romboard does NOT work
- New mobo with old rom-board does NOT work
- (Old mobo with old romboard does NOT work)

Is there some protection in place for the rom boards, or am I just unlucky and both are busted on my old setup?

@buffi I know this is a old post, but stumbled across it answering another thread about Y2, haha.

You probably already figured this out, but It looks like the boards are encrypted; see MAME. I would think that the ROM boards aren't married to the mainboard, but it sounds like they might be. The only way for sure is to get two known working boards+ROM and then swap the ROM boards.

If you got the chance to try that out, would be curious to hear the results!

I just got my system y2 and am having problems with it. When I turn it on with a cart in it all I get is a purple screen. This is in both 15khz and 31khz modes. I cant get the system to do anything. I have 5.1 V goin into it so I dont think thats the problem. Anyone have any ideas as to whats going on?

Some boards are sensitive to >5.0 so try turning it down. Also try cleaning the contacts.

It's also entirely possible it is defective. :/ Let us know what happens.

Tried a lot, got voltage down to exactly 5V, cleaned contacts, no dice. I think its just broken so I returned it.

What are the best options when hooking these up in a Blast City? Ideally, without using a separate USB I/O board (JAMMA controls). Looks like the options for dipswitch 2 are JAMMA or JVS I/O, so I assume that just affects controls? Are there any benefits to running 31KHz video over the VGA-style connection vs the JAMMA edge that it would already be connected to? JAMMA doesn't have stereo audio, so could I just connect the RCA cables? Power would be all JAMMA too. And all the dip switches would be off. Any dangerous combinations here?

What are the best options when hooking these up in a Blast City? Ideally, without using a separate USB I/O board (JAMMA controls). Looks like the options for dipswitch 2 are JAMMA or JVS I/O, so I assume that just affects controls? Are there any benefits to running 31KHz video over the VGA-style connection vs the JAMMA edge that it would already be connected to? JAMMA doesn't have stereo audio, so could I just connect the RCA cables? Power would be all JAMMA too. And all the dip switches would be off. Any dangerous combinations here?
VGA connection will give the best picture for the system Y2. I dont have a cabinet, but I do use a supergun and connect the VGA with the dipswitch set to VGA mode. then use the jamma edge as a means of powering it on, but you can also use a sun power supply like that of the naomi in order to power it on as well. It does not require any sort of IO board of any kind

Back