What's new

Tailsnic Retroworks

Professional
Reaction score
Hi. I'm studying about a hack I have in mind. I know that Soul Calibur has its best version on Dreamcast hardware, but it is a home version after all: many game modes, allows pause in combat...Not the real spirit.

I'm going to put a Dreamcast inside a Naomi Universal cabinet with this game, and I would like to make an arcade hack of this game to make it feel like Namco System 256 game, I don't know if I'm explaining well.

The game should work as follows:

- Constant loop between main menu, intro video and demos. Until this it's the same working game.
- When pressing start of the player 1 or player 2, we should enter directly in the arcade mode, not to the main menu list of game modes / options.
- We play normally in this mode, and die, etc...
- Pause mode isn't allowed. It's a real arcade game.
- It would be good to make a "dipswitch mode" (using another shortcut button as trigger), that make us enter directly to "options" mode to adjust the parameters and save.

What do you think about? Would it be really possible?

I would like to make an arcade hack of this game to make it feel like Namco System 256 NAOMI game
Fixed that for you (remember Dreamcast's arcade counterpart was the Naomi, NOT Namco 256 you are thinking of Playstation 2).
What do you think about? Would it be really possible?
All the requests listed above seem very reasonable, patchable (well maybe not the dipswitch thing, don't know where you are going with that one)...
Problem is your going to have to pay @MetalliC a LOT of money to do it (ain't no freebies here). X/

If he can show me how to edit the game's code, I can do it myself. I want to publish the hack for free.

Sorry about Namco System 256. I have said it to compare the arcade version I want.

EDIT: the dipswitching thing is only to push one button and enter in options menu automatically, nothing more.

Last edited:
If he can show me how to edit the game's code
I can show you how to "edit" the code, just get WinHex haha. ;)
WrpHwHw.png

No the problem you have is you need to know the EXACT offsets in memory of the values to change inside the binary...
This is why you need someone with the skills to run the (IDA with SH4 CPU profile?) disassembly, to find them.

Most of the above requests could be simple jump point edits (like bypassing the title/mode selection screen for example).

Last edited by a moderator:
Shit, you are right...If no one wants to do it, I don't mind to do it myself, but I need to learn about it.

Yeah, there's no chance anyone will make this for you. Start hitting the books.

Back