What's new
I haven't tried a different ROM set. I'm honestly not even sure which version I have currently. It was named OldCPS2BasePack. The games load up on the LCD screen just fine and I can scroll through them and flash one which I've tried with multiple games thinking maybe it was just one of the games having an issue.

EDIT: I'll see if shorting the EXC5 pins will make any difference. I just located them earlier, but didn't try that.

This is really weird. After I shorted EXC5 pins, I plugged the B board back in the A board and turned on the arcade to see some garbled text in the middle of the screen that I couldn't quite make out. When I changed to a different game and started flashing it on the LCD screen I noticed the monitor then started outputting some green stuff that sort of resembled the matrix screen. Then, once finished flashing it went back to the garbled text same as before. Something is different as I haven't seen this before. Has anyone seen this before?

4VVo5Fd.jpg

This screen showed before and after flashing games when the arcade was on

jKtbvkc.jpg

This screen showed while flashing the game.

The garbled text that displays sort of looks like this screen that normally shows when things are good before booting the game.

EAN3xR0.png

I tried a second set of unencrypted ROMs I found over on ArcadeOtaku and with those it just shows the black screen again.

Last edited:
Is that PAL compatible I thought it was GPAL/FPAL only?
I thought the Champion Version of the CPS2 Multi meant that you no longer have to modify the PAL. Although, if that were my issue, that would be great.

Please READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. You don't need to toucht the PAL anymore. It works with any PAL.

Here’s some troubleshooting steps:

Make sure your 5v is as close to 5v as possible, maybe even a little higher — 5.1v is a sweet spot. Although, the Astro PSU can sometimes be weak.

Short the EXC5 again, but this time for longer periods when touching the two points.

Give the edge connector on your CPS-2 a very good clean with isopropyl.

Make sure the interconnect board is sitting really firm on both multi boards (push it into the multi gently from underneath), then check the connection to the CPS-2 board is strong and all the way in.

If you have another SD card. Check that. Or format using the SD formatter tool and test with just one game.

Try switching off the multi and pushing the setup down onto the board and then turning on an loading again.

I’m assuming the game before you installed the multi was working perfectly?

@djsheep, thanks for these debugging step recommendations. I'll see if I can run through those. I tried loading the flash test (10101 and 01010) games onto the SD card as someone else recommended and I'm pretty sure it passed because I never saw any errors on the LCD screen. I've tried two Sandisk Micro SD cards - one a 32 GB and another a 16 GB each are showing the issue. As for the previous game, I still have all the chips so what I want to do is re install those with the Arduino just to make certain I didn't somehow mess anything up with the B board while trying to install the multi kit. I will also run through all these debugging steps you've recommended.

Got it up and running this weekend, together with the AES multi I also ordered. Too many games accessible at the same time 8o
Is there a way to manually sort the games being listed?

Enjoy!

If I recall correctly, you can just sort the file order in the microSD. The order shown when you make a dir command from dos window is the order in which they appear.

I got my Darksoft Champion Edition setup and I'm having two problems. I am using Revision 7 of the CPS2. My first problem is that the LCD does not display. I can blindly move up and down and select a game but I have no idea what I'm selecting. The LCD does glow. I tried both cables, the short and long. And second, the music is all F$%Ked up. It's similar or the same as the original DarkSoft kit when you connected the wire from the G Pal to the pin on top of the Darksoft board to fix.

Have you tried adjusting the contrast pot on the main PCB of the multi? Also what is your 5v at?

Have you connected the key writing wires? What ROM set are you using?

Have you tried adjusting the contrast pot on the main PCB of the multi? Also what is your 5v at?

Yes, I tried the contrast pot. It does nothing. The brightness doesn't change. 5v is at 5v. Key Writing wires are connected. What Rom sets am I using? As in which games have I uploaded? AVP, 19xx, SFII CE, MVC, SSFII Turbo and a few others. Is any of this trouble shooting for the Sound? I'm more concerned about the sound. Everything sounds like baby farm animals.

Yes, I tried the contrast pot. It does nothing. The brightness doesn't change. 5v is at 5v. Key Writing wires are connected. What Rom sets am I using? As in which games have I uploaded? AVP, 19xx, SFII CE, MVC, SSFII Turbo and a few others. Is any of this trouble shooting for the Sound? I'm more concerned about the sound. Everything sounds like baby farm animals.
Yes, it's troubleshooting for your issues. Trying to help you out.

Please post a video of the sound issues you're having, and clear photos of your install.

Those sound issues could be created by either a cable coming out of your PAL to somewhere else, or a bad GAL if you replaced it. I can't think of anything else right now.

Did you try the troubleshooting guide? And the test romsets?

PLMK.

Back