What's new
@ekorz, I noticed the redline going the other direction on the PDF for the LCD. It only fits in one way as it has tabs. I tried two different cables. However, I don't know if you read further up, I can still select and enter roms, I just can't see them. I'd imagine if the cable wasn't connected properly, that portion wouldn't function.

@Darksoft I tried F PAL. The unit continued to work but the results were the same; Jacked Up sound. Earlier, I tried removing the PAL all together and it wouldn't load. However, I found out that if a game is already loaded, it works with no PAL at all. For me, the result was the same, sound was still messed up. Oh, so I tried it in a different cabinet on a different "A" board but nothing changed. Thusfar, I've tried everything requested of me and no luck. I have 6 working CPS2 boards but I don't want to ruin another board. That's $200 a pop. This is a video with the F PAL (which is no different from when it had a G PAL).

nothing you've done should "ruin a board" it should all be 100% reversible. it sounds like the lcd might just be bad... it happens. do you know anyone else with a kit that you could borrow a known working lcd?

I know it can be frustrating, but I assure you the kit in the end will be worth it. It's an awesome piece of arcade gear, and your big blue is a great home for it so you can enjoy some sexy Q sound goodness. Send the PCB to @Mitsurugi-w - he'll get you taken care off. Highly recommend him.

I know it can be frustrating, but I assure you the kit in the end will be worth it. It's an awesome piece of arcade gear, and your big blue is a great home for it so you can enjoy some sexy Q sound goodness. Send the PCB to @Mitsurugi-w - he'll get you taken care off. Highly recommend him.
I'm not frustrated yet. I know it will be worth it. I'm just hoping no one thinks I'm a pest. I'm trying to dot every "I" and cross every "t". You have the same Big Blue model as me! The Q sound is just incredible! I should probably say a little about myself. I do collect Arcade Machines. I also build and restore them. This month restored two Galaga Machines and sold both. I have 20 arcade machines in my game room. I own about 40 different Jamma boards. This is an old video of my game room. Since this video, I've gotten Primal Rage, Big Blue, Nintendo Playchoice, Daytona USA, Tekken 5, Area 51, TOKI and Mortal Kombat II.

@Segamer any extra wires on the back of the b board connected to the pal? No one thinks you’re a pest, there’s like 100 pages of troubleshooting various Multis on this forum, it’s part of what goes on here routinely.

No
@Segamer any extra wires on the back of the b board connected to the pal? No one thinks you’re a pest, there’s like 100 pages of troubleshooting various Multis on this forum, it’s part of what goes on here routinely.
No obvious tampering with the "B" Board. So, I think it was originally a SF II The NEW CHALLENGERS and it was converted by Capcom to MVC. There is a MVC sticker right over the SF II TNC sticker. The only thing that looks as though it was changed were the jumpers. Using a multimeter, I checked the jumpers as they are, the closed were closed and the open were open.

I'm happy to look at it for you. I would really test it on another b-board though. That would confirm a lot of things.

@Segamer sorry but we didnt know your level of expertise. Please send to @Mitsurugi-w he has all the gears and will troubleshoot it 100%

If it's broken well replace it. You'll get your gaming experience. No worries.

Cheers.

@Segamer sorry but we didnt know your level of expertise. Please send to @Mitsurugi-w he has all the gears and will troubleshoot it 100%

Cheers.
I'm going to take a break from this kit until next week. Then I'm going to try a different "B" board (I have 6 to choose from). If that doesn't work, I'll pack it all up and send it to you guys! LOL! and let you all figure it out. :)

Just got my first (of two) darksoft champion edition kits up and running!

HUGE thank you and respect to @Aurich and Kyle for their help and support with this project and getting it installed.

Thank you to Darksoft and team for continuing to improve on this awesome achievement for the community.

Now it's time to play some games :) <3

Attachments

• S__67125269.jpg
    S__67125269.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 148
Lot of really excellent games that work just fine with 3 buttons on CPS2. You guys need to see this Aero Table, it's looking so clean. :D

Sorry if I missed the post, but I have a newbie question that might be related to firmware?

With the current/new Darksoft cps2 multi, after a flash a game successfully and get the "have fun" prompt, the screen remains frozen with a scrambled sprite-sheet.

If i power-cycle the cab, the game boots up properly. Every time I change it though, I have to power-cycle. On the original kits, from what I've seen, the board reboots itself automatically once a game is selected and flashing is completed. Have I set up something incorrectly on my SD card?

Cheers.
Good News, I tried a new "B" board and the kits is now working with one exception, the LCD. Not only did the new board not change things with the LCD but it actually stopped selecting games. The LCD was selecting games at first, then it stopped. I checked both set of cables. So the LCD doesn't display or select games.

Last edited:
and I guess that you played with the contrast regulator, right?

At this stage, please stop using the LCD and we'll send you a new LCD. If that doesnt fix it, then the problem is somewhere else and you'll probably need to send to @Mitsurugi-w for troubleshooting.

Please PM your order # and purchase date and I'll get in touch with the distributor that you got it from.

Sorry if I missed the post, but I have a newbie question that might be related to firmware?

With the current/new Darksoft cps2 multi, after a flash a game successfully and get the "have fun" prompt, the screen remains frozen with a scrambled sprite-sheet.

If i power-cycle the cab, the game boots up properly. Every time I change it though, I have to power-cycle. On the original kits, from what I've seen, the board reboots itself automatically once a game is selected and flashing is completed. Have I set up something incorrectly on my SD card?
I was experiencing this too, actually. Do you have the key writing cable installed? I'm currently using the decrypted set, and have been since I installed my multi, so just assumed I didn't need the key writing cable. However, I installed the cable in preparation to switch to the encrypted set and noticed that games reboot automatically upon new selection now. I have no insight into why this would be the case, but I do know that it seems to have resolved the issue. Maybe worth a shot?

The key writing wires enable the multi to reboot after loading the game.

With no key writing wires installed and using the decrypted ROMS, you need to power cycle after loading the game.

>Do you have the key writing cable installed?

I do not! The provided cable was too short, so I will have to extend it. I'm running the unencrypted roms for now. The cps2 I'm using was not the preferred rev, so the shorter key writing wire won't work as supplied. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Successfully installed my multi, a couple of pins were bent slightly on the small PCB but I managed to gently straighten them out again.

The kit also comes with a nice padded box to store your pulled EPROMs and mask ROMs in :D

Attachments

• IMG_2625.jpg
    IMG_2625.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 123
My 2nd darksoft cps2 kit arrived, and did not come with the key-writing wire. Is this a standard size pin connector? Anyone know where I can order one by itself?

Back