What's new

Darksoft

Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
UPDATED BY DARKSOFT ON 5th May 2023
New Firmware release! it fixes the problem with not original or slow microSD and also the problem with MicroSD written in a Mac.
You can download it here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/2l28533gtbot1tr/CPS2_Champion_Edition_Mac_Fix_v2.7z/file
IMPORTANT! This firmware is only to be used with the Champion Edition!!

You can get the download instructions v1.3 from here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/tpv1g9gbnyhevac/CPS2_ChampionMulti_Guide_v1.3.pdf/file

If you need to make any repairs on your multi, the pins for program ROM PCB were bought from HK Kemei Electronics and the part number is KM1004. However, minimum order is *sigh* 1000 units.

Should you need to replace the microSD card slot on your kit pcb this is the proper replacement:
mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/47352-1001/

Buttons for the LCD Display can be bought from here: en.maritex.com.pl/switches/tac…h/tacts60h130b280-jl.html
alternatively you can find compatible ones here:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/e-switch/TL1105DF160Q/271562

Last edited:
Thank you my friend, got the updated version of the cps2 multi in.

Gotta say you have simplified/made the installation so much easier, basically foolproof. I will be installing it in a freshly repainted shell. I think I will also do the hdmi mod to this setup.

Hope everyone is happy as I am with this refreshed/updated version, it eliminates any install issues regarding the pins, pal chip and such. etc.. :thumbsup:

IMG_6310.jpg

Helllllllll yes. Multi should be in tomorrow, been dying to do this for years! Can’t wait to try it out!

Didn't realize they were shipping! ordering mine now..

edit: highscoresaves says they will be closed until Nov 30th... any one know if they're shipping these during the 'closed' phase?

Last edited:
Long time lurker here. I got my kit installed on Monday evening. Board arrived in good shape but there were a couple pins on the main PCB that were bent slightly. Nothing too concerning. I gently bent them back and they installed into the B board without issue. It's a rev 6 with a G-PAL.

On first boot I got a little scared because I had no sync from the OSSC, but I quickly realized I had the key-writing cable installed backwards. Swapped it, turned it back on, and everything was good.

Unlike the other posters talking about nice cases and other mods, my B board was a phoenixed MvC board that had seen some shit, so it's naked and mounted onto the finest slab of random wood money can buy. Maybe one day I will class it up, but for now I am happy with it.

All in all, I have to say I'm quite pleased. Good stuff.

Attachments

• alpha.jpg
    alpha.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 389
  • board.jpg
    board.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 384
  • install.jpg
    install.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 403
  • running.jpg
    running.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 486
I've done 3 installs with the old multi, friend just got the new one, see if he needs assistance or not. But it sure looks like it will be easier this time around.

Of all the great Darksoft products, and as much as I enjoy Third Strike, if I could only pick one the CPS2 would easily be my first choice. It's just such a great product for a great piece of hardware. Glad to see it getting extra love and support in a second revision.

It was a snap here. Had to desolder an Infinikey on the board I used. Seems like maybe EXC5 was holding on to the key from that? Shorted that and was playing Progear before I knew it. Hoping to get the encrypted rom set and keywriting functionality going before too long.

For now though, I'm truly impressed. What a fucking awesome piece of kit. Big, big shout to everybody who made this thing reality.

Long time lurker here. I got my kit installed on Monday evening. Board arrived in good shape but there were a couple pins on the main PCB that were bent slightly. Nothing too concerning. I gently bent them back and they installed into the B board without issue. It's a rev 6 with a G-PAL.

On first boot I got a little scared because I had no sync from the OSSC, but I quickly realized I had the key-writing cable installed backwards. Swapped it, turned it back on, and everything was good.

Unlike the other posters talking about nice cases and other mods, my B board was a phoenixed MvC board that had seen some shit, so it's naked and mounted onto the finest slab of random wood money can buy. Maybe one day I will class it up, but for now I am happy with it.

All in all, I have to say I'm quite pleased. Good stuff.
For the extra information, You can add the 3 feet ribbon cable for more convenient used the LCD & SD card Extensor for easier to update the new games or firmware without screw off the B board.

Attachments

• IMG_20201105_192928.jpg
    IMG_20201105_192928.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 208
Last chance to stop me breaking something...

B9304AE1-7A9A-491C-A4AB-92213386065B.jpeg

Key writing connections for the 9646B-4 B-Board.
Long connection is actually from @Arthrimus as I picked up his CPS2 helper board before the v2 came out.

Attachments

• 27F68F46-FC9D-48BA-B6C9-DA4617E029A1.jpeg
    27F68F46-FC9D-48BA-B6C9-DA4617E029A1.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 243
Any word on this guy?

59FE0BA1-D717-4F4A-8A26-F5C52E1C5FC1.jpeg

I am inclined to leave him be?
I thought that resistor could be removed? I I think @undamned explained what it was for.
from my experience it does nothing. It's literally tying one of the programming pins to ground, I expect to prevent accidental programming cycles. It is more of a safety measure than something necessary, especially when you're rewriting the keys every time.

Found it:

1. Not all Rev. 3/4 boards have a resistor added to CN2 pin A32. I own many Rev. 3/4 boards that never had that resistor added at the factory, so this is definitely a widespread problem. This resistor (4.7k ohm) is a pull-down resistor for the DATA signal of the decryption key programming interface and should be added for reliable programming (pin C32 is a convenient GND connection on CN2). Capcom added a surface mount pull-down resistor to their layouts on later PCBs.

Viqy3vCm.jpg

2. Rev. 3/4 boards have much longer traces for the programming signals (they run almost the entire length of the board). This means your programming signals are ~10" + whatever your actual programming cable length is. Longer path means opportunity for noisier signals, so be careful with long cable length (especially the GND connection between the Arduino and the B board).

I don't think I can write the key.
There is also no reset.
Are I doing something wrong?

DSC_0885_copy_1209x1612.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0884_copy_1209x1612.jpg
    DSC_0884_copy_1209x1612.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 262
Back