What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing what games on System 246/256 I can make work with the OMZ IR Gun setup (aka: Sega Type II IR).

From what I understand there are 4 guns games for the System 2x6 and these are the I/O boards they're designed to use:

Time Crisis 3: - uses Namco V185 I/O Board (also compatible with Time Crisis 2 V221 I/O Board) with old-school CRT Guns
Time Crisis 4: uses Namco V329 I/O Board with an OMZ IR Gun setup
Cobra: The Arcade: uses Namco FCA2 I/O Board with IR Gun setup (are these OMZ guns as well? I don't know)
Vampire Night: - uses Namco V221 MIU I/O Board ("TMIU 1 PROG0 B" EPROM) with and IR/CCD gun setup similar to Crisis Zone

I don't think TC3 or Vampire Night have any chance of working without some kind of custom hardware interface.

However TC4 will definitely work so long as the I/O board is compatible, and I don't know enough about Cobra to say for sure but it's the next likely candidate.

Can anyone who has these games confirm if a Sega Type 1 or similar I/O board will work with any of these games (particularly TC4 or Cobra)? or do these games refuse to boot without a specific I/O board attached?

Time Crisis 3 supports both CCD gun and CRT guns, I THINK that it'll also work with Sega JVS I/O, I just need to do some rewiring tests (and have been too busy), It also appears to support at least SOME io using the PS2 controller input (step, etc), and possibly will work with some variant of a legit guncon or similar.

Vampire Night SHOULD also work with this setup, and I've got an original IO board from VN, but I'm still not getting proper gun response. At least gun setup is working (the Time Crisis 3 IO won't show a proper gun init screen in service when used on Vampire Night, even though it SHOULD be close to identical)

Time Crisis 4 and Cobra both use what I believe you call the OMZ board to convert camera+IR to analog, but each are chained to different IO boards, Cobra to an FCA2, and Time Crisis 4 to a V329 NA-JV.

Cobra at least works flawlessly with the Sega JVS I/O out of the box, and I believe Time Crisis 4 can be made to work the same as well. I believe I TC4 is checking one of the Digital inputs for to verify the gun is not offscreen, and I need this set.

The cobra gun also happens to have the EXACT same Time Crisis 4 camera module in the gun, but the solenoid hammer for force feedback on the Time Crisis guns is replaced with a vibration motor (think Console controller).

There's also evidence of potential USB HID gun support in Time Crisis 4, but I've yet to play with it.

I've got a full setup pulled from a Time Crisis 4 that I'll be wiring up at some point with hope that I can sort out what's not working on the Sega IO.

Cobra WILL check for the presence of a card reader at boot, and while the check can be nullified, I've had the game lock up on game clear when it tries to write to the IC card. Again, more fun stuff to sort out, what with the 4+ different card reader setups I've run across for this system so far.
I also wish I could find any cards for the stupid game...

[Time Crisis 3] also appears to support at least SOME io using the PS2 controller input (step, etc), and possibly will work with some variant of a legit guncon or similar.
if it works with a PS2 controller then it can be made to work with the OMZ gun setup since you could theoretically just wire the output to an analog stick.

Cobra at least works flawlessly with the Sega JVS I/O out of the box, and I believe Time Crisis 4 can be made to work the same as well. I believe I TC4 is checking one of the Digital inputs for to verify the gun is not offscreen, and I need this set.
that's good to hear. the OMZ gun setup works that way with Sega games too where there is a digital input for "gun off screen" since there's no way to convey a difference between location "0,0" and "no location" over an analog signal.

Thanks for the useful info!

Time Crisis 3 supports both CCD gun and CRT guns, I THINK that it'll also work with Sega JVS I/O, I just need to do some rewiring tests (and have been too busy), It also appears to support at least SOME io using the PS2 controller input (step, etc), and possibly will work with some variant of a legit guncon or similar.
That would be great! I have like 4 or 5 Guncon-2 at home...

WIll you be so kind to share your findings once you manage to test it? :)

Thanks!

Cobra WILL check for the presence of a card reader at boot
Do you know if the Card Reader is similar to the ones used by WMMT? it's possible you could use the emulator developed by winteriscoming as a basis for emulating Cobra cards too.

I THINK it's the same reader- I don't have anything for any Wangan games other than the two on 246. I've got the card reader, I just need to wire it up and test.
Here's the relevant bits from the C:TA service manual (I've stuck all the relevant parts together to make it easier to see):
Cobra-Card-Reader.gif

Can anyone who has these games confirm if a Sega Type 1 or similar I/O board will work with any of these games (particularly TC4 or Cobra)? or do these games refuse to boot without a specific I/O board attached?
I can confirm that Sega JVS I/O Type 1 and Type 3 boards works with Cobra and TC4. Tested using a OMC-GZH200 gun sense board and Sega IR guns.
Really don't see the need for the Namco V329 I/O unless you have the original TC4 guns for that solenoid recoil.

Back