What's new

Lenzz

Beginner
Reaction score
I’m going to be building an arcade cab with a vertically aligned widescreen monitor as I want a big screen for 4:3 with integer scaling without having to deal with the width. If I am dealing with screens with a max resolution of 1080p is they a specific screen size that will give me minimal black bars to the sides or is it all really the same and is there a specific flat screen type OLED , LED etc that is preferable . I hope this makes sense

I was asked a question along that line. My reply was not that helpful because it all depends on personal preference, sensitivity to lag and motion blur.

Also things that you need to specify, are you using a scaler (OSSC) and real PCBs? Are you using a Mister with the build in scaler over HDMI? Are you using a pi? What is your budget? What screen size are you looking for? What resolution are the games going to be running at?

look at Microcenter and test LCDs until you find the one you need.

in general, 1080p LCD 25” or less in size..monitor to look for IPS, freesync (usually low lag) chances to be compatible with OSSC 5x.

if using a PC Mame/Retroarch, I would run the games @120hz, on an IPS, freesync, 144hz monitor with a CRT filter.. I have tested this on a 25” 1080p panel and it is a great solution.

I’m going to be building an arcade cab with a vertically aligned widescreen monitor as I want a big screen for 4:3 with integer scaling without having to deal with the width. If I am dealing with screens with a max resolution of 1080p is they a specific screen size that will give me minimal black bars to the sides or is it all really the same and is there a specific flat screen type OLED , LED etc that is preferable . I hope this makes sense
If you want true integer scaling. Get an OSSC. The built in scaling on your LCD purchase will not suffice for 240p 4:3 upscaling.

If you do get a screen. Make sure it’s compatible with 4x on 1080p. Account for the both horizontal and vertical black borders. (If you don’t see them. You definitely have improper scaling at 960.

The bigger the monitor the bigger the 4:3 image.

Decide what your average target resolution is.

If you want full 240p compatibility and create a bezel for it you will have black bars around the image when your locked into your integer.

For instance the SNES outputs at 256x224 which is not going fill your desired scale into the 960 vertical pixels you had allotted for it on a 240x4 scale

This is one of the reasons it’s tricky to play 4:3 lcds because you will never be able to be compatible with all titles with a set bezel.

Either get a CRT or make a ton of 4:3 bezels to suit your favorite games or put up with black bars.

I hope that helps man

thanks guys ill be using an old pc with a intel q6600 cpu and a geforce gtx 650 via hdmi, it also has dvi and vga out .so im guessing ill always have to deal with the black bars at the side of the image . im only relay interested in emulating neo geo mvs and CPS 1,2 &3 stuff from that era, so i am assuming they all mostly display in the same integer restitution . so i suppose i am mostly cornered with lag and i know a tv is usually the worst for that . but i cant be dealing with sourcing a crt. relay its looking for large tv's 40 inches or bigger the have decent response times. ill be looking for second hand so older models of tv , is there a specific rage of tv's anyone would recommend

OLED LG TVs X series (48”, 55, 65, 77) seems to be what you are looking for with retroarch @120hz 4:3 and CRT filter..don’t worry about the black bars, once you start playing, you will not notice them. Lowest lag and @120hz you will not see blur unless you have super eagle eyes:)

Da Costco price for 55” is insane.
https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?q=Oled

Last edited:
Back