What's new
The really nice thing about a Tekken 5 like this...

It comes with a CRT monitor called the Sanwa PFX, my pal Roger (300wins) calls this one of the greatest CRTs ever made!
They must not last very long because every single Tekken 5 cab I've ever seen in the arcade is either out of order due to the monitor or had an LCD swap.

I think the Kraylix is better, but it requires more work to put it all together and prime/paint it.

P1010018.JPG

Is something like this feasible for me?: http://www.recroommasters.com/sit_down_arcade_p/rm-xt-sd-f.htm
I have a 32 inch flatscreen TV I might be able to place in there.

sure, but you still have to bring your own fight sticks (which will then need converted to JVS, or rewired) and so on...
I think that Kraylix is kinda the go-to for a nice product (SNK-NEO-GEO can probably speak to the build quality- I think he has one of the slims) that is actually more like a real cabinet:
http://www.kraylixarcade.com

check the 2-player kit for a 32" tv size.

They must not last very long
No idea, but next time I visit my buddy I'll take a shot for you side-by-side with a Nanao 2931.
The PFX blows it away, no I'm not joking around!

He actually backmounted it (Rogers trick) to a SEGA frame, and then put it inside a Astro City.
I have mixed feelings about how the bezel looks, Astro's bezel is curved and this is a pure flat tube (creates gaps at the edges).
Wow the colors and sharpness tho are unreal on this thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
LoL, Kraylix is just a nicer Xtension cab, another LCD solution but requires more work. He just wants to play the games first. Then he can become elite later.

That's fair-he'll still need to adapt the USB to JVS, but you have a point :)

I own a Kraylix V3 (they're on V4 now I believe).

It's a nice cab and people ask me if it's a legit Vewlix all the time.

There are some design issues but it feels more like a proper cab when compared next to the decidedly "consumer grade" RecRoom Masters stuff.

I bought mine used and already assembled and professionally painted for $800 (completely stripped, no monitor or anything)... plus another $150 for the monitor, and then another $200 or so for the controls, wiring, encoder pcb, coin door, locks, speakers, amp etc.

had KC been selling cheap Vewlix cabs at the time I would have much rather dropped a few hundred extra and bought one of those instead.

Kraylix is fine for arcade junkies like us. But OP isn't quite there boys and girls. OP has ambitious demands of his arcade cabinet, but none of the requisite experiences. Pump the brakes a little and let's help the guy get to playing the games he loves.

Kraylix is fine for arcade junkies like us. But OP isn't quite there boys and girls. OP has ambitious demands of his arcade cabinet, but none of the requisite experiences. Pump the brakes a little and let's help the guy get to playing the games he loves.
nonsense. Kraylix was created by people in the fighting game community who were looking for something more dedicated than a fight-stick and less costly than a Vewlix. It's literally designed for you to install an off-the-shelf LCD and throw an Xbox 360 inside the base and call it a day.

Not to mention someone experimenting with MAME without proper guidance ends up building something like this:

shame7.jpg

... nobody wants that...

I'm in between here- personally, I simply don't have a garage to do woodworking/good painting or i'd likely design and build my own candy clones or be lazy and go with kraylix... The product is pretty simple, with the most complicated part being finishing it, and technically that doesn't HAVE to happen right away.
Remember, it's basically constructed like a slightly more complicated IKEA desk.
That being said, I really do like metal and fiberglass in my cabs over MDF and the like.

But getting into the hobby, it's not common to have the money to plonk down on a Vewlix or New Net City, and you make do with in-betweens.
I'm looking to sell off my NAC's at some point and move to Vewlixes or something entirely custom .. but this is mostly because I didn't see myself investing 100% in JVS when I got them.

Is something like this feasible for me?: http://www.recroommasters.com/sit_down_arcade_p/rm-xt-sd-f.htm
I have a 32 inch flatscreen TV I might be able to place in there.
sure, but you still have to bring your own fight sticks (which will then need converted to JVS, or rewired) and so on...
I think that Kraylix is kinda the go-to for a nice product (SNK-NEO-GEO can probably speak to the build quality- I think he has one of the slims) that is actually more like a real cabinet:
http://www.kraylixarcade.com

check the 2-player kit for a 32" tv size.
I sold my Kraylix to a member on this forum ... If you find one complete and painted for a good price buy it.. If it is just the kit, OMG just stay away.. It is labor intensive, putting it together and painting it. Them you have to pay for all the components which socks big time. I sold mine for $600 because it was to a member on this board but let me tell you that the labor alone cost more than $600.. Any how, the Recoommanster, I would not recommended, looks like cardboard and you have to put it together and add a TV,, a TV...that is my problem with these types of cabs and the Vewlix clones, to me the LCD is the most important part and a TV will not do.. That is why I paid the money for the new LCD from Taito,, very happy and no problems.. I got two not just one:)

Talking about Vewlix clones, I would not recommend that as well... I highly recommend a Vewlix L.. for $1600 before shipping from KC, that is an absolute deal.. I kid you not, mine came MINT or close to new.. only down side, missing power supply which is optional on the L, as I found out.. but the monitor is like a PC monitor rock solid and not a TV crappy looking. The control panel is solid as well.. it does not bend and it is not miss aline.. seriously get an L... I have not seen inperson the F or FC or D. but once you go that route you are talking F/FC $2400-$2600 and D $3000 without shipping so yes the L is a no brainer..

Last edited:
I'm in between here- personally, I simply don't have a garage to do woodworking/good painting or i'd likely design and build my own candy clones or be lazy and go with kraylix... The product is pretty simple, with the most complicated part being finishing it, and technically that doesn't HAVE to happen right away.
Remember, it's basically constructed like a slightly more complicated IKEA desk.
That being said, I really do like metal and fiberglass in my cabs over MDF and the like.

But getting into the hobby, it's not common to have the money to plonk down on a Vewlix or New Net City, and you make do with in-betweens.
I'm looking to sell off my NAC's at some point and move to Vewlixes or something entirely custom .. but this is mostly because I didn't see myself investing 100% in JVS when I got them.
@defor - you are welcome to stop by to see the Vewlix L so it can give you a better idea of what you are looking at if you have not seen one. I wish some one close to me had an FC and a D to look at so I can compare but oh well.

Heh thanks for the offer :)

Again, the style of the cabinet was really important to me when choosing the first cabs I got- I was all set to buy a Naomi Universal a few years ago when I first started getting more than just PCB's.. Thankfully there was an arcade auction near me in Baltimore, so I was able to look at a few different styles of cabinets, and concluded that the look of the older low-sitting Astro/Versus City was my preference, but at the time, Vewlix were way out of my price range, and rarely imported at all. The look of the Naomi Universals and their variants was really not to my taste, so like SNK-NEO-GEO says, see the cabs in person before settling if you can, they're by no means small, and will be an investment, both in upgrades and upkeep over their lifespan, don't get stuck with something you don't really like!

So the general consensus is that I should either save up some good cash and go get something pretty good or just the very basics like a fight stick and the DVD drive?

I should either save up some good cash and go get something pretty good or just the very basics like a fight stick and the DVD drive?
I say continue to look AND continue to save!
One of two things will happen...

1. You get the deal on the project cab you've been looking for (maybe a Dynamo or something cheepy cheep) locally via CL.
  2. You finally save up enough cash to drop down on some serious cabbage like a New Net or Vewlix, from our buddy KC. :D

I say continue to look AND continue to save!
One of two things will happen...

You get the deal on the project cab you've been looking for (maybe a Dynamo or something cheepy cheep) locally via CL.

You finally save up enough cash to drop down on some serious cabbage like a New Net or Vewlix, from our buddy KC.
^I second this suggestion.

while you hunt/save up you can start building a MAME rig. the Pentium G3258 CPU mentioned earlier (overclocked if possible) is what you want to base the build and then a GPU compatible with CRT_EmuDriver if you end up with a CRT (ATi HD5000 HD6000 or HD7000 series is I believe what you want), coupled with Windows 7. A Modest amount of Memory, a motherboard that is amicable to overclocking and the largest hard drive you're willing to buy (My MAME rig is 3.5TB and it's not quite as large as I'd like it)

If you want a slick looking UI for game selection and the ability to play various consoles in addition to MAME then you'll be spending quite a while setting everything up on the PC anyway.

Others may draw different conclusions, but I'd recommend getting your feet wet. Pick up a genuine JAMMA arcade cab with a working monitor and SF2 style control panel. Sell whatever game board comes with it to recoup some of your investment (or keep it around for testing). Work on interfacing that cab to a MAME PC. MAME has a huge library and you won't find yourself bored anytime soon. Curious and inquisitive about other possibilities, but bored, no. That will give you an idea of 75% of what you are up against. You'll also learn the difference the right way between playing arcade classics on a CRT as they were intended vs an LCD. You might even learn the pain of being a CRT owner. If after this experience you find yourself leaning one way or another, the topic of conversation then simply becomes do I get a hi-res CRT to dual boot MAME with S256 or an LCD. From there, the discussion is which choice is the best for you. The point is to enjoy the games. Don't let the high investment cost and the time you waste on getting set up deter you from your original purpose. Ever hear of the term "buyer's remorse"?

Get your feet wet. Before you know it, you'll be a wise-guy, like the rest of us replete with your own snobbish preferences.

but I'd recommend getting your feet wet. Pick up a genuine JAMMA arcade cab with a working monitor and SF2 style control panel.
Something like this would be nice for a MAME build...
cl3.PNG

But I think 850$ for a Dynamo 25" (the monitor in the picture for some reason looks smaller maybe its actually the HS1 19") and MKII is high.

BTW Twisted I actually LOL'd at this, even now when looking at it. :)
shame7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell you what, I have a ton of SF2 style Dynamo's. I'll sell you one for $150. You pay for shipping from California.

Tell you what, I have a ton of SF2 style Dynamo's. I'll sell you one for $150. You pay for shipping from California.
While that's a great price, after shipping he'd be paying as much as that Dynamo/Tekken Tag that's local to him.

Back