What's new
3D games are far off in MAME in general, no matter what PC's you have
MAME isn't optimized for 3d hardware at all.

You what to hear the craziest story of poor 3d emulation/optimization?
BSNES was a super accurate SNES emulator made by byuu.
It was known for being slow, but again highly accurate recreating every part of the original hardware.

I've got a i7 6700K overclocked to 4.2GHZ, with 16GB of 3866MHZ DD4 RAM, and a Nvidia/EVGA 970 4GB Superclock.
When I loaded Starfox, I was getting about 5~8 frames per second.
It was so slow it was unplayable, and this is a game that launched in 1992.

Man, we are all basically there, if not, we couldnt afford this obsession, I meant to say hobby :D
This is quite the misplaced introduction thread actually. But it works and has stirred up a healthy discussion.

I made a statement earlier about arcade schwag being bleak in Pittsburgh. Then you guys ribbed me a bit for it; I really don't have a clue it seems. Always wanted my own arcade once I could afford one. Yesterday, I saw a post from @Malenko over at KLOV where he is selling his MKII cab. I picked up the same cab along with 2 others for $280. He was selling his one cab for over 5x as much as I paid for three. I see MKII selling in my area selling for 1/3'd the price all the time. Anyhow, that isn't a brag. I am just lucky to be in this hobby and to live where I am at. Happy to pay it forward and help this guy out.

Round here a MKII Dynamo conversion will run ya 850$, if you want the "real" dedicated cab its always over 1000$ (I've even seen one priced at 1800$ and the seller was dead serious).

In contrast out in Rosemead CA, KC will import you a Vewlix L (not a clone a real L) for 1600$.
Of course this is before shipping, but still which would you rather have?

Some stinky old woody with warped/water damaged MDF and a trashed Happ based control panel...
Or a 100% plastic/steal LCD cab with Sanwa parts in the control panel?

Those unicorns are always in a different state more than 6+hrs away. Found a big blue in FL bundled with another cab. That's a really long trip just for the one cab.

Found a big blue in FL bundled with another cab. That's a really long trip just for the one cab.
I never buy anything from Florida out of principal. I've been scammed/screwed over about 4 times over the years in this hobby and in others and every single time it was a Florida man ... I've been a lot happier since I just pretend that the whole state is a black hole and any listings there might as well not exist.

I lived in FL, Tampa Bay Area for 2 years.. The arcade hobby community is very strong and great people.. My two Egreet II came from the Tampa Bay Area.

In a different note..I can tell you for a fact.. People is my current area plain suck or maybe I have not run it the right people but I lived in the area for over 20 years.

Last edited:
What specs for a PC would you suggest if I wanted to run Soulcalibur I-III on an arcade emulator?

What specs for a PC would you suggest if I wanted to run Soulcalibur I-III on an arcade emulator?
back on page 4:
the Pentium G3258 CPU mentioned earlier (overclocked if possible) is what you want to base the build and then a GPU compatible with CRT_EmuDriver if you end up with a CRT (ATi HD5000 HD6000 or HD7000 series is I believe what you want), coupled with Windows 7. A Modest amount of Memory, a motherboard that is amicable to overclocking and the largest hard drive you're willing to buy (My MAME rig is 3.5TB and it's not quite as large as I'd like it)
I don't know what the state of Namco System12 emulation (SC1) I think it might be playable in MAME with a really powerful CPU (see quote above) But Namco System 2x6 can't be emulated so nothing can emulate SC2 or SC3 right now. The closest you can get is if you emulate the PS2 versions... in which case you'll want a PC with the specs listed in the quote above.

You're better off interfacing a PS2 to an arcade machine. Emulation is crap for 3D fighters.

You don't want to emulate Soulcalibur..

I play Soulcalibur 1 on Dreamcast, Soulcalibur 2 on Gamecube, and Soulcalibur 3 on PS2

I have the arcade PCBs for Soul Edge 1 and 2 and Soulcalibur 1, but I tend to prefer to play with the console versions.. specially the GC SC2 version (playing with Link is priceless) :)

I have SC1 on DC, SCII on GC, and SCIII on PS2 on discs. Trying to hook up a console to an arcade cabinet would defeat my purpose of the all-in-one solution though. PCB's are more expensive than I thought they would be. I saw an Ehrgeiz PCB on a site for $150 bucks. Dang haha

What did you guys think of the craigslist link I sent?

I have SC1 on DC, SCII on GC, and SCIII on PS2 on discs. Trying to hook up a console to an arcade cabinet would defeat my purpose of the all-in-one solution though. PCB's are more expensive than I thought they would be. I saw an Ehrgeiz PCB on a site for $150 bucks. Dang haha

What did you guys think of the craigslist link I sent?
That PC would work but lowball him. I'd advise sticking with Intel. Intel caught up and left AMD in the dust right after the Athlon X2's CPU's enjoyed a brief reign as the primo CPU on the market.

Lots of ppl enjoy arcade action on consoles. All those consoles with the exception of the GC can be played on an arcade cabinet with this controller PCB. I actually have this, but never used it. Also, not too much effort to interface a DC to an arcade cabinet. PS2 is a little more effort, and the GC is kinda like, why bother. The games on the GC sort of lend themselves well to the cozy console environment with lots of other people.

Sorry about missing that post from page 4. Hmm...would something like this work: pittsburgh.craigslist.org/sys/5634980999.html
I wouldn't buy that.

Assuming you want to emulate stuff newer than 80s games you want the highest clock speed CPU you can get. IMO anything below 3.2GHz isn't worth buying. Moden CPUs all have lower clock speed and make up for it with multiple cores, unfortunately multiple cores aren't supported by most emulators and those that do support them barely make use of them. So you don't want to waste money on CPUs with a high core count and hyper-threading and instead go for one with a very high clockspeed.

The reason the Pentium G3258 is recommended is because it has a clock speed of 3.2GHz but can be easily overclocked to 4.3GHz which is significantly higher than some CPUs that cost 5 times as much. Also GHz for GHz Intel chips will outperform AMD when it comes to emulation. bang for the buck you will not do better than the G3258, the next step up from that would be something like an unlocked i5 or i7 which cost a few hundred bucks just for the chip.

PCB's are more expensive than I thought they would be
Check out what people are paying for a Turtles in Time or a Punisher, ouch.

Dreamcast is a bit easier to hook up when compared with a Wii.
If your using a 15khz CRT tho, I'll again be recommending the UVC (which is limited/expensive).

You really might want a LCD cab, VGA input native.
Wii, Dreamcast, MAME PC, 360, PS3/4 pretty much all plug and play, just get a PS360+ and controls are done too.

Sorry about missing that post from page 4. Hmm...would something like this work: pittsburgh.craigslist.org/sys/5634980999.html
I wouldn't buy that.
Assuming you want to emulate stuff newer than 80s games you want the highest clock speed CPU you can get. IMO anything below 3.2GHz isn't worth buying. Moden CPUs all have lower clock speed and make up for it with multiple cores, unfortunately multiple cores aren't supported by most emulators and those that do support them barely make use of them. So you don't want to waste money on CPUs with a high core count and hyper-threading and instead go for one with a very high clockspeed.

The reason the Pentium G3258 is recommended is because it has a clock speed of 3.2GHz but can be easily overclocked to 4.3GHz which is significantly higher than some CPUs that cost 5 times as much. Also GHz for GHz Intel chips will outperform AMD when it comes to emulation. bang for the buck you will not do better than the G3258, the next step up from that would be something like an unlocked i5 or i7 which cost a few hundred bucks just for the chip.
Do you think this is worth it? http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/sys/5685236524.html I'm not sure. Especially since it's used. Paying that much for a used PC probably isn't that cost effective for the situation anyway.

Back