What's new

everten

Champion
Reaction score
This project has been in the works for months, but it's finally just about done. A member of the forum asked me to do some custom wiring on his STV multi and I kind of took it too far... but the results are so nice I had to share. There were quite a few iterations, but I'm really happy with how it turned out with mounting the selector under the acrylic top.

I created brand new top plates for the Lions case, made custom versions of the cart and selector cases, wire harnesses, new 3D parts for the case and wire connectors, etc.

A lot went into making this. Hopefully the photos do it some justice.

Files are available here if you want to modify your Lions3 case, read the notes on Thingiverse for what is needed:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4658017

IMG_1189.jpg
IMG_1165.jpg
IMG_1191.jpg
IMG_0962 2.jpg
IMG_1187.jpg

Big thanks to @Derick2k who laser cut my newly design top plates lightning fast and to @twistedsymphony for his selector and multi housing designs.

Attachments

• IMG_1168.jpg
    IMG_1168.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_1179.jpg
    IMG_1179.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_0981.jpg
    IMG_0981.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0963 2.jpg
    IMG_0963 2.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Quite proper indeed, that ST-V setup looks really outstanding. I think you photographed it quite nice as well so thanks for highlighting this impressive work.

Beautiful work! Your design is pretty much what I saw in my head back when I still owned an ST-V Multi setup and tried (unsuccessfully) to use SketchUp to make a plexi case for it. Marvelous to see it executed properly now! :thumbsup:

Looks great! I've been hopeful for a state-side case that incorporates the lcd selector.

The case mod can still be done without all the special connectors and wire harnesses. If you have the selector case and lions and want to do this you need:

New top plates
longer 3d printed standoffs for top plates w/ threaded inserts
4 x longer black screws for selector case, black M3-0.5 x 35mm

For the new top plates I measured and recreated the Lions plates from scratch. I redrew the STV logo in vector format, shifted and resized it, and added cutouts for selector.

Lions didn't provide me the source files, but I'm still not sure if it's acceptable to share my files since it's based on his work?

If anyone is interested in modifying their Lions3 case to do something similar:

Lions gave me permission to share my recreated top plates. I've put everything needed, including the new 3D parts needed on Thingiverse. Hopefully @twistedsymphony doesn't mind I also included taller buttons from his case design. :thumbup:

Files:

You still need the official Lions3 case.

You can laser cut your own replacement top plates using the files included on Thingiverse. You also need to 3D print the 6 taller standoffs and taller selector buttons. The selector case needs slightly longer screws and you will need heat-set threaded inserts for the new standoffs.

Everything you need is on Thingiverse, check the notes.

I'm way late replying here... I am the lucky recipient of @evertens fine work. It was fun being along for the ride with the creative process and the finished product far exceeded expectations.

I'm sure most of you know already but for anyone reading this that's newer, I can't say enough about everten's skillset, patience, and friendship through the time we worked on this. I've got ideas kicking around that I might throw at him again, but he doesn't know about them yet. Haha.

Thanks again!

Thanks @noonan2678

Good times! I still haven't done this to my own board, mostly because I'm not looking forward to crimping 128 wire connector pins again. I'll wait until I find a small improvement to make it a little better than yours... :D

I think this would be nice with a right angle cart connector (if it ever pans out). That way you could hide all the wire harnesses. I still prefer it the way we did yours so the multi can be removed super easy. I have a Decathlete I still need to pop in once in a while until it's working on the multi.

Thanks @noonan2678

Good times! I still haven't done this to my own board, mostly because I'm not looking forward to crimping 128 wire connector pins again. I'll wait until I find a small improvement to make it a little better than yours... :D

I think this would be nice with a right angle cart connector (if it ever pans out). That way you could hide all the wire harnesses. I still prefer it the way we did yours so the multi can be removed super easy. I have a Decathlete I still need to pop in once in a while until it's working on the multi.
The rumours about my early demise have been greatly exaggerated.

It's coming!

This project has been in the works for months, but it's finally just about done. A member of the forum asked me to do some custom wiring on his STV multi and I kind of took it too far... but the results are so nice I had to share. There were quite a few iterations, but I'm really happy with how it turned out with mounting the selector under the acrylic top.

I created brand new top plates for the Lions case, made custom versions of the cart and selector cases, wire harnesses, new 3D parts for the case and wire connectors, etc.

A lot went into making this. Hopefully the photos do it some justice.

Files are available here if you want to modify your Lions3 case, read the notes on Thingiverse for what is needed:

IMG_1189.jpg
IMG_1165.jpg
IMG_1191.jpg
IMG_0962 2.jpg
IMG_1187.jpg

Big thanks to @Derick2k who laser cut my newly design top plates lightning fast and to @twistedsymphony for his selector and multi housing designs.
This is awesome! I wouldn’t mind paying to get this done.

This is awesome! I wouldn’t mind paying to get this done.
I've had a few requests to do this. This project was just a one-off experiment and it's probably not something I will ever do again. I haven't even done it to my personal board. I think I posted everything you need to make this for yourself assuming you have access to a laser cutter and 3D printer. Lions may even print and cut the files I provided if you ask. Maybe @noonan2678 will sell you his, but I doubt it ;).

I'm happy to assist with questions as needed.

I've had a few requests to do this. This project was just a one-off experiment and it's probably not something I will ever do again. I haven't even done it to my personal board. I think I posted everything you need to make this for yourself assuming you have access to a laser cutter and 3D printer. Lions may even print and cut the files I provided if you ask. Maybe @noonan2678 will sell you his, but I doubt it ;).

I'm happy to assist with questions as needed.
Thanks for reply! Great call out asking Lions to assist with the prints. :)

Back