What's new

Cookie

Professional
Reaction score
Lets post all the info about the TTX3 systems here in this thread, and we can chat in this thread about them. Posts are so scattered and it makes it so difficult to find good info and pictures.

I've been playing around with the TTX3 system lately and i have a bunch of info i would like to post up.

So TTX3 is a pc... it's literally a pc. The only thing stopping you from using it as a PC when it comes from the factory is that it has a HDD password enabled and if you try to plug another HDD in to the system, it won't boot it. Just go into the bios (google for the bios password, do not post it here). CTRL+ALT+F9 will get you into the bios.
Once you are into the bios, just disable hdd security, and you literally have a computer. Grab your DVD drive(no usb boot), throw a SSD in it, put your windows 10 install disk into the DVD drive and install Windows 10.

- You can install Windows, install your favourite emulator frontend, throw in a JPAC or an ARDUINO usb encoder for controls and you have yourself a nice little computer unit, with a TAITO space invader graphic etched into the lid.
- You could put an AMD video card in there, and run groovy mame on it....
- You could install all the PC versions of the actual TTX3 games, throw up a frontend, and make your own multi game with your pc games, and don't forget it will all be in a nice box with a space invader on top.
- You can run nikos TTX2 multi on here with FASTIO only. TTX2 units are selling for more $$ than the TTX3 units... The games on nikos multi load much faster on this than they do on TTX2 hardware. Until someone works out how to make JVS work, it's FASTIO only though.

This thing is literally a PC.

I did a tear down of a 404 model today, i took some pictures that might be a good reference for people if they had some questions about the hardware.

1. This is the case with all the guts removed.
001.jpg

2. Specs info
002.jpg

3. Back of the case
003.jpg

4. The power supply. They are pretty much a standard ATX power supply size. You can use a regular PC PSU as a replacement, BUT.. there will be airflow issues. More about this below. They don't sound like a jet engine like the TTX2 power supplies.
004.jpg

5. Specs of the power supply. 600w output!
005.jpg

6. Here's the power supply next to an 850w Seasonic ATX power supply from my computer. You can see it's similar fit. BUT.. this is where you will run into problems, the air flows in one end and out the opposite end for the TTX3 PSU. This has vents at the back so the air can escape the case. If you use a PC power supply... there is going to be nowhere for the air to escape, it's going to be blowing into the case. You can wing this is you blow the air into the side of the case where the CPU is, because the exhaust fan at the back should remove the hot air, but just be aware of this. Look at the airflow arrows, you get the idea.
006.jpg

07. This is the case fan at the back of the unit. The original fan for reference is at the bottom of hte pic. I replaced it with a silent one at the top. These fans are 3 pin. The case fan has a bit of noise to it, but again, it's NOTHING like the TTX2 fans.
007.jpg

08. PSU and case fan back in the case. You can see what I mean about airflow, there's a vent under that black sleeve so the air flows from the PSU and stays out of the case.
008.jpg

09. Here's the motherboard with the ram, cpu and IO cables plugged in . I left those cables plugged in to show where they go in case anyone needs a reference in future.
009.jpg

10. The CPU. I5 2400
010.jpg

Last edited:
@Murray you are great! thanks for doing this :)

What about JVS support? can we use one of this apps for JVS to keyboard?

Do you plan to upgrade the graphics card?

Maybe a better one to run SFV? TX4 has a GTX 960 for SFV.

@Murray you are great! thanks for doing this :)

What about JVS support? can we use one of this apps for JVS to keyboard?
Yes you can easily interface between JVS or FASTIO and windows games in general. Using the keyboard mapping would work.

I've tried with a GTX960 and it didn't work. TTX3 splash screen but keyboard won't respond. It then hangs just after the splash screen. If the auxiliary power isn't plugged in, it hangs with a warning instead.

I've tried with a GTX960 and it didn't work. TTX3 splash screen but keyboard won't respond. It then hangs just after the splash screen. If the auxiliary power isn't plugged in, it hangs with a warning instead.
Hmm... that's a little strange. That tells me the card is working. TTX3 does some weird stuff if you try to boot it once and it doesn't like a piece of hardware. It goes into some odd boot loops... For example if it fails to boot a game because... the security chip is missing, and you try and quickly power it off then back on, you can't get into the bios, and it won't really let you do anything.

The trick i've found, is you need to remove the power cable, until the green light goes out on the IO port on the back. It can take up to 10 seconds some times. If you don't do this, it's like it retains a boot error or something like that and it prohibits it from booting or letting you do anything. When you let that green light go out with no power plugged in, it seems to reset the boot state and it's like a fresh boot again.

It took me a while to work this out, every now and then it would seem to lock me out from the bios and i was swapping hard drives around and i thought i'd broken the unit because it would behave strangely at boot. I wasn't powering it off long enough for the green light to go out. Now when it happens i can stop it every time just by powering it off for long enough.

What HDD did you have plugged in to the unit when you were trying to boot? Was it an original game HDD or a multi? Or something else?

The fact that it posted tells me that card will work. Even more so that you got the insufficient power error when you booted without it, of course i could be wrong!
That was my feeling too that it was on the edge of working because I had tried a few video cards and this was the 'closest'. However, I messed with it for hours with varying PSUs, different drives (all multis though), different cpus (note to one of your previous posts the i7-2600 works fine) and memory. It boots fine with on board video but could never get past the odd loop with the video card. This was my home project from one of those $10 X3 MBs so I don't know for certain it isn't a problem with that. I have a complete working X3 system on a SLOW boat from Japan so my plan was to play with it more once that arrives.

If you're in Melbourne I'm more than happy to lend you the card to play with. Might be something super simple I am missing.

I've tried a 960 I had laying around as well, splash screen with a single beep. Also tried a AMD7870 for fun and it actually booted, only ran at like 5fps but just shocked it booted at all.

Quick question, can the X3 be setup with a multi-game disk too? And will it support the same games that can be used in X and X2? And is it good as a mame computer in case you are only running 31khz?

Maybe I misunderstand your specific questions, but I believe the first post by @Murray speaks to both points. Yes, it can indeed run the X2 multi by @Niko (but the usable image has not been created by @Niko and is not without some bugs) and, yes, an X3 system can also capably run MAME.

Maybe I misunderstand your specific questions, but I believe the first post by @Murray speaks to both points. Yes, it can indeed run the X2 multi by @Niko (but the usable image has not been created by @Niko and is not without some bugs) and, yes, an X3 system can also capably run MAME.
Thank you for your reply. It might be me but I felt it wasn't completely clear, and if it indeed was suitable for a non flat screen setup. Then I hear back and forth that it works with JVS out of the box vs it needing something else to work with JVS. So want to get things confirmed before I buy one :)

Hmm also seems that they come with different specs, the one I am looking into seems to be lower specced than the one in the OP.

Hmm also seems that they come with different specs, the one I am looking into seems to be lower specced than the one in the OP.
I’m pretty sure almost all come with a Fast I/O card, which is not the same as JVS. So ask about which card is installed before you buy.

I have all of that and I can get the x2 multi to boot but for some reason the p2 directional switches wont work, p2's buttons all work just not the stick

@Murray thanks for the intro to the hardware. Is it basically an alternative to using a PC and Brook UFB setup for those who want to use original hardware and tinker a bit?

Thanks @Murray good info. A Brook Ultimate Fighting Board is a board that goes between consoles/PC to the buttons on fight sticks (originally) but now many use in gutted cabinets without button harnesses or IO I’m guessing.

The trick i've found, is you need to remove the power cable, until the green light goes out on the IO port on the back. It can take up to 10 seconds some times. If you don't do this, it's like it retains a boot error or something like that and it prohibits it from booting or letting you do anything. When you let that green light go out with no power plugged in, it seems to reset the boot state and it's like a fresh boot again.
For some reasons, I can't get into the BIOS.
The game boots, but throw me an IO error, which is normal as I don't have the required hardware for the game (gunslinger, no guns, no gun IO)

I plug a USB keyboard and maintain ctrl+alt+f9 at boot. I'm greeted with 2 splash screens "Taito TypeX3" then it goes straight into windows boot screen.

Does anyone here have any idea why ?

EDIT : all good, keyboard was the issue

Last edited:
Thinking about picking one of these up with a multiboot, but...

Can you stick this in a cab with a 2P panel? Do the games work with local 2P mode?

Back