Taito Type X 3 (TTX3) Owners Thread - Pics/Info/Stuff

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Taito Type X 3 (TTX3) Owners Thread - Pics/Info/Stuff

Lets post all the info about the TTX3 systems here in this thread, and we can chat in this thread about them. Posts are so scattered and it makes it so difficult to find good info and pictures.

I've been playing around with the TTX3 system lately and i have a bunch of info i would like to post up.

So TTX3 is a pc... it's literally a pc. The only thing stopping you from using it as a PC when it comes from the factory is that it has a HDD password enabled and if you try to plug another HDD in to the system, it won't boot it. Just go into the bios (google for the bios password, do not post it here). CTRL+ALT+F9 will get you into the bios.
      Once you are into the bios, just disable hdd security, and you literally have a computer. Grab your DVD drive(no usb boot), throw a SSD in it, put your windows 10 install disk into the DVD drive and install Windows 10.

- You can install Windows, install your favourite emulator frontend, throw in a JPAC or an ARDUINO usb encoder for controls and you have yourself a nice little computer unit, with a TAITO space invader graphic etched into the lid.
      - You could put an AMD video card in there, and run groovy mame on it....
      - You could install all the PC versions of the actual TTX3 games, throw up a frontend, and make your own multi game with your pc games, and don't forget it will all be in a nice box with a space invader on top.
      - You can run nikos TTX2 multi on here with FASTIO only. TTX2 units are selling for more $$ than the TTX3 units... The games on nikos multi load much faster on this than they do on TTX2 hardware. Until someone works out how to make JVS work, it's FASTIO only though.

This thing is literally a PC.

I did a tear down of a 404 model today, i took some pictures that might be a good reference for people if they had some questions about the hardware.

1. This is the case with all the guts removed.

2. Specs info

3. Back of the case

4. The power supply. They are pretty much a standard ATX power supply size. You can use a regular PC PSU as a replacement, BUT.. there will be airflow issues. More about this below. They don't sound like a jet engine like the TTX2 power supplies.

5. Specs of the power supply. 600w output!

6. Here's the power supply next to an 850w Seasonic ATX power supply from my computer. You can see it's similar fit. BUT.. this is where you will run into problems, the air flows in one end and out the opposite end for the TTX3 PSU. This has vents at the back so the air can escape the case. If you use a PC power supply... there is going to be nowhere for the air to escape, it's going to be blowing into the case. You can wing this is you blow the air into the side of the case where the CPU is, because the exhaust fan at the back should remove the hot air, but just be aware of this. Look at the airflow arrows, you get the idea.

07. This is the case fan at the back of the unit. The original fan for reference is at the bottom of hte pic. I replaced it with a silent one at the top. These fans are 3 pin. The case fan has a bit of noise to it, but again, it's NOTHING like the TTX2 fans.

08. PSU and case fan back in the case. You can see what I mean about airflow, there's a vent under that black sleeve so the air flows from the PSU and stays out of the case.

09. Here's the motherboard with the ram, cpu and IO cables plugged in . I left those cables plugged in to show where they go in case anyone needs a reference in future.

10. The CPU. I5 2400

The post was edited 1 time, last by Murray ().

• 11. Just a cool print on the motherboad.

12. Stock ram that comes with this model

13. Rear IO ports.

14. CPU heat sink and fan. The fan in the picture is the original fan. NOTE... it's a 4 pin fan. 3 pin fans work fine, but you won't get any variable speed out of it. It will just be on a set speed all the time. The CPU fan has a bit of noise to it, it's nothing like the TTX2 system but it does spin up a bit sometimes.

15. Original fan in the picture. I replaced it with a quieter one still.

16. The CPU with some lube. Preparing for AMD.

17. Here you can see the original 4 pin cpu fan cable and my new 3 pin fan cable. Even with the cpu fan being locked at a single speed because it's only 3 pin, this new fan is still quieter than the original pin fan.

18. Here's where we are at now. with motherboard and CPU installed again.

• 19. Nvidia 660GTX video card.

20. Heatsink removed from the card. I figured I should replace the lube on the video card as well... actually didn't need to. The CPU was completely dry, this was well lubed still. Very messy.

21. Cleaned up.

22. Fresh lube.

23. Video card back in the case.

24. Empty IO slot.

25. Here's the IO ports, and the DMAC controller. the DMAC controller is the Direct Memory Access Controller. It's supposed to put IO inputs directly into memory, basically eliminate input lag... that's the idea. There is a really good post on here explaining how it works but i can't find it at this time. What you need to know is.... the DMAC card plugs into the PCIe slot. The black thing is the game security cart and it plugs into the back of the DMAC card. Then you have the IO panel that you plug a LAN cable in to go to your FAST IO card. It also has the dips on there.

26. DMAC and Io card installed again.

27. Back together (being powered by static electricity.....)

After all of the above, the machine now runs really quiet. I've also done some minor testing on the thermals, this thing doesn't even break a sweat. I'm running Street Fighter 5 @ 1440p medium settings on the pc version, and the cpu is sitting around 40% use and it hits around 45 degrees celcius. So, so long as you re-lube the cpu, then running slower rpm fans on this system is OK. I haven't had it under any heavy burn in load with the case completely closed. That will come in a future post.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Murray ().

• Few game pictures.

This is the PC version of SF5. Runs very smooth at medium graphics quality 1440p. The PC versions of the TTX3 games are far superior to the coin op versions anyways.

If you wanted to set up a HDD to boot up and boot directly to this game instead of the desktop that it pretty easy as well.

What we really need for TTX3 is a GUI configurable keyboard mapping tool, that maps the FASTIO to keyboard inputs. Basically like the JPAC configuration app. If I had the ability I would of course do it, but unfortunately I don't! If we could get a tool like that for Fastio, or even JVS, or both... that would be awesome. But we don't have those, so the only way to control the games is with a JPAC, IPAC, arduino usb encoder... or something similar. It's not the biggest issue, i have some arduino encoders coming. I'll throw up a guide if I can make them work.

• Few more game pics. Again, this is the steam version of KOF 14.

The steam pc version is much better than the bootleg version floating around out there, the one that's stuck on potato brain lowest difficulty. At least this version is a challenge. You also have the challenge modes as well, and a bunch of other cool stuff in there.

It does look really good @ 1440p

• ArcadeSTG wrote:

@Murray you are great! thanks for doing this :)

What about JVS support? can we use one of this apps for JVS to keyboard?
      No problem :) I just like to share the inside of the arcade system so people can learn and reference. I enjoy reading the posts about other hardware that i don't own.

Well so far I just have the keyboard plugged in to the system playing PC versions of the game.

I don't have any way to make it so we can plug JVS or FASTIO betweem the TTX3 and the arcade machine and control the computer games with that yet. I haven't really gone too much into it yet, but i can't develop anything because... well.. i don't know how to! So far I am just playing with keyboard.

This is something that maybe we can work out down the path! There is fastio2kb but i don't really know how to use that or if it is suitable for this.

My plan is to build a games machine with SF5, MortalKombat 11, Injustice 2, KOF 14, SNK Heroines, and more. All PC versions.
    • Mrhide wrote:

Stop it!! I’m going to have to buy one!
      You know you want one...

I just realised you can actually boot from a USB drive on these. So if you want to install an OS like Windows 10 64 bit, you can just use a USB installation key to make this happen, no need for a DVD drive.

It behaves a little strangely, when the USB drive is in there, if you go into the bios to try and change the boot order, it will only see the usb drive. You can't choose the hdd in the boot order anymore. It's there, because when you start the Windows install it sees the main drive no problem. Just an oddity
    • ArcadeSTG wrote:

Do you plan to upgrade the graphics card?

Maybe a better one to run SFV? TX4 has a GTX 960 for SFV.
      No, because i'm going to build a computer with much more modern hardware to put into my Vewlix clone cabinet when I get one. ryzen 5000 with radeon 5700 video card for all games @1440p max details. The TTX3 hardware cannot do 1440p MAX details on those games and i purchased a 1440p screen especially for when i get taht cabinet.. @1080p it can no problems. I don't know about the original arcade version of street fighter 5 because i dont own that, i'm just using the PC version, for all of these games.

These TTX3 boxes I would like to keep them as stock hardware, this means that anything i do can be made into an image and then shared to everyone else with one of these and they can run it. If I start putting different hardware into things then it won't work on everyone elses hardware without modification.
    • Just a small piece of info.

If you are installing Windows 10 on your unit, make sure you set the disk mode to AHCI from IDE. AHCI is better.

You'll need to set it back to use the niko multi image though. If an OS is installed in IDE mode you'll need to have it set to that to boot, and likewise for AHCI.

When you set it to AHCI, for some reason, it always defaults to USB boot. If you have a USB stick or drive in the system, it will always boot from it, and then it doesn't attempt to boot from the other HDD after that. So just make sure if you are in AHCI mode, that you don't have a USB disk plugged in unless you are trying to boot from that.
    • Mackie wrote:

ArcadeSTG wrote:

@Murray you are great! thanks for doing this :)

What about JVS support? can we use one of this apps for JVS to keyboard?
      Yes you can easily interface between JVS or FASTIO and windows games in general. Using the keyboard mapping would work.
      Please do tell us how!

I've been playing around with FAST2KB and have managed to get it to compile with my own key mappings so far. I haven't gone much further yet, will have some more time to play around with it on the weekend.

If we can get direct JVS to keyboard working, that would be awesome.
    • New

Just in case anyone is wondering, here's a rough guide on the differences between the I3 CPU and the I5 CPU that come in the TTX3 models. These are the 2 stock cpu's that come with most of the TTX3 units.
      I haven't don't any other cpu testing so i can't answer anything about other cpu's supported.
      These tests ignored any turbo boost on the I5, i don't know if it kicked in on the test or not. I was just doing some simple testing.

The relevant thing here is the single core performance. It shows that the single core I5 IPC performance is around 5% - 10% more than the I3. So if you are comparing single core performance, you are getting a less than 10% increase if you go up to the I5.

Now the other thing here is, the I3 is only a dual core cpu with hyper threading enabled. So it shows as 4 cores, but it's really only got 2 physical.
      The I5 has 4 physical cores with no hyper threading.

So, if the thing you are running isn't built to take advantage of multi cores, then you will gain less than 10% performance increase by having the I5.
      If the thing you are running is built to take advantage of multi cores, the i5 is the much better cpu. You will get 5 - 10% ipc increase per core, and you have 4 physical cores. This is better for running things like frontends and emulators, with the games running over the top. You probably aren't going to notice a blistering speed boost, but you probably won't notice as much slowdown and things might load a little faster. For example video loads in the emulator frontend. It all just helps to process things faster.

Power wise - the I3 is also a 65w CPU, and the I5 is 95W, which means the I3 will run cooler, BUT...both of these cpu's run very cool anyways, with the stock cooler, so long as it's been cleaned and you have re-applied some new paste. The cooler that comes on the TTX3 is quite a decent cooler for those chips.

The above is at a pretty simple level, and i know you could technically pick the info and benchmark apart, it's just meant to be some general rough information!

• New

I didn't do any actual TTX3 game testing on these yet. So i'm not sure if the actual TTX3 games take advantage of multiple or more than 2 cores... If I had to guess, i'd say they absolutely will utilise more than 1 core. But I can't confirm that.

TTX2 multi on the TTX3 system, the I3 is more than powerful enough to run those very well.