What's new
sorry I'm not familiar enough with that hardware to understand what you were describing.

Do all Zeus II PCB have these batteries. what do you mean by "IC Blocks"?

Really useful thread - great idea.

Although the title should probably be changed to 'PCB collectors thread of doom and depression!'.

Worth adding in the pcb-based MVS titles, as they have batteries.. SNK vs. CAPCOM SVC CHAOS pcb is one of them.

Also worth adding every Irem board fitted with self-composting capacitors ;)

Although the title should probably be changed to 'PCB collectors thread of doom and depression!'.

Also worth adding every Irem board fitted with self-composting capacitors
The eventual goal is to link every PCB in the list to instructions on how to get rid of the battery so you don't have to worry about it.

so no doom and depression, it's happiness and sunshine.

sorry I'm not familiar enough with that hardware to understand what you were describing.

Do all Zeus II PCB have these batteries. what do you mean by "IC Blocks"?
I don't know about all Zeus II PCBs, but definitely Cruis'n Exotica. According to system16 the only other game is The Grid.
https://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=617&gid=1147#1148

https://www.arcadeshop.com/i/1377/atari-midway-time-keeper-battery.htm This doesn't list The Grid?

s-l500.jpg

https://www.newark.com/stmicroelect...-snaphat-snaphat/dp/89K1437?ost=m4t28-br12sh1

Oh it's a TimeKeeper, the same thing Konami uses on their late 90s PCBs.

I've never heard of one leaking and you can still buy them new (at least that's true of the model Konami uses), since it actually keeps time (hence the name) it's next to impossible to get rid of them without losing functionality.

There is 100's missing from your list :D

Here's a few from memory:

Score / settings only:
Atomiswave motherboard :(
Telepachi Fever (sunsoft)
Taito Gladiator
Track n field konami
Hyper sports konami

Suicide:
Super roller (galeco h/w)
Play 2000 (gaelco h/w)

Last edited:
Oh it's a TimeKeeper, the same thing Konami uses on their late 90s PCBs.

I've never heard of one leaking and you can still buy them new (at least that's true of the model Konami uses), since it actually keeps time (hence the name) it's next to impossible to get rid of them without losing functionality.
There's 2 of these IC batteries on the Zeus II hardware. One is the TimeKeeper/Snaphat. Not sure why they wanted 2 different nvram solutions, but it is what it is. I have also never heard of them leaking, and you can buy either the ST or Dallas part to replace the original with now.

The TimeKeeper/Snaphat one is the one which controls saving the settings. I know that because my exotica was asking for calibration on every boot. After changing just that 1 battery it started being able to save the calibration settings.

Last edited:
I wasn't really planning on diving too far into the pre-JAMMA or dedicated cab stuff, but I can include those if people thing there is a benefit.

"It's a neverending sto-ory" ;)

There are so many...
Caliber 50 hardware from Seta has a coin-cell battery soldered in for instance.

Back