What's new

iCEQB

Student
Reaction score
Hi all,

I tried to look for information which GAL I need to use to burn a G PAL dump to and all I could find is "GAL16V8".
But which "GAL16V8" can I take? There are "GAL16V8A", "GAL16V8B", "GAL16V8C", "GAL16V8D" available ... are they all compatible?

I looked on ebay for the cheapest "GAL16V8" and it gave me this "GAL16V8D" chip:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/2PCS-IC-GAL1...127866?hash=item2ee546f33a:g:bCIAAOSw6EhUN1OR

Can I use this?

Regards,
iCEQB

I think so too ... reading up on the differences in the datasheet, they seems to be the slowest tho?
Maybe @Darksoft can shed some light on this?

EDIT: Just took a quick look at the original PALs:

cps2G.jpg

They seem to be specified to 15ns.
The target devices for the PAL dumps are GALs anyway (only jed for those available) ... so I guess I can (or should?) take a -15 GAL?

Last edited:
I have used many times GAL 16V8D-15 with CPS2. They work without problems.

I've also used ATMEL ATF16V8B-15 with very good results.

How can I tell what's a good result and a bad result?
Will games run differently?

Ah ok thank you man :)

And that Atmel you talked about? You said "very good results" did you expirience any difference to the other "perfect" result? :D

Sorry for so many questions, but I try to understand the smallest details, so please bare with me :D

It's just a GAL. It will work or it won't for this application. You would be able to tell immediately.

Ah ok thank you man :)

And that Atmel you talked about? You said "very good results" did you expirience any difference to the other "perfect" result? :D

Sorry for so many questions, but I try to understand the smallest details, so please bare with me :D
no difference. Same results as GAL.

I may be off topic, but is the file to flash on that "GAL16V8D" is available somewhere?

Not to revive an old thread but. What do you use to program said chips?

As in type of chip or programmer? Most EPROM programmers will burn GAL16V8

Where are you located? If you don't have a programmer someone who lives close by may be able to help.

I have a GQ-4x4 would that be able to program the gals?

No, the GQ-4 programmers can't do GALs at all

The cheap MiniPro TL866 can apparently burn them but how reliably I'm not sure. Otherwise you'd need to look at upgrading to one of the Wellon programmers or similar.

No, the GQ-4 programmers can't do GALs at all

The cheap MiniPro TL866 can apparently burn them but how reliably I'm not sure. Otherwise you'd need to look at upgrading to one of the Wellon programmers or similar.
tl866ii + works great for gal's. I've burned several dozen with mine including wiping and returning. Works 100% of the time, all of the time.

can you copy palce16v8h info into a GAL16v8? This for a CPS1.

Thanks.

Top3000 handles GAL with no issues too.

can you copy palce16v8h info into a GAL16v8? This for a CPS1.

Thanks.
Yes but it needs to be dumped correctly (a PAL is protected) and converted into GAL

All CPS1 PALs have been dumped and converted already as far as I'm aware and are available on jammarcade

Back