What's new

metro_digital

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Primal Rage PCB, and have ordered a Mak Strike V3 Supergun to play it on. I still need to get an arcade style PSU to power it though.
I have read that Meanwell PSU's are recommended as they are good quality.

I would like to know if the Meanwell RT-85A will be powerful enough to power the Primal Rage board.
I won't be getting any other PCB's so it only has to work for Rage.

The RT-125A was my first choice, but I can't get them locally, so would have to ship it from China which will take very long and be expensive. I can get the RT-85A locally though.

The PSU listed in the Primal Rage PCB Manual is a -5V @1A, 12V @2A, +5V A12A switching Power Supply.
The Meanwell RT-85A is rated at -5V @0.5A, 12V @3.5A, +5V @8A

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

with the size of that pcb, you are better off with this:

ps.jpg

:)

I have no idea about the amps, but can confirm the PR PCBs I have both suck down the juice like there is no tomorrow! Most games I run at 4.95v, PR I run at 5.2v or I don't get a clean game (graphic issues).

My Blast City PSU has to be cranked to near max get this game to run.
It takes a LOT of power.
The higher the amperage the better in this case.
Your paltry Meanwell won't mean well for the PCB.

My Blast City PSU has to be cranked to near max get this game to run.
It takes a LOT of power.
The higher the amperage the better in this case.
Your paltry Meanwell won't mean well for the PCB.
Thanks for the feedback guys.
So it looks like I’m going to have to go with the RT-125A in this case.
I do have a 450W ATX PSU, but without being able to control the voltage I’m not convinced it’s the right choice. The supergun has a molex connection option for power, but there’s no -5V with it though.

Sorry for the necrobump, but i just got a PR board and trying to run it in my Blast City as well, and sure enough I had to crank up the voltage to almost maximum :/ The video is a little green too, and I definitely know it's not the Blast's monitor, it works fine with my other stuff (MiSTercade, RGBPi, MGCD, Neo 1 slot, etc).

@Psyko-M1 did you encounter anything like this with the vid?

Same, Midway games like MK1/MK2 as well they suck lots of +5v.

Are you bypassing the included filterboard?
Plug the JAMMA edge directly into the mainboard.
I was, I'll try that as soon as I have a sec.

Depending on your monitor the image will likely be brighter, but the greenish tint should be gone.
Huh. There we go, filterboard was causing it. Im 99% certain my last Rage PCB had the filterboard as well. Granted it was running on an entirely different cabinet, but still. You're right, its a little brighter, but no green tint :)

Looks like its up and runnin'. Thanks for the tip @jassin000 !

Curious, does this mean that the filterboard is broken, or useless now?

Its not broken, the monitors used in the original PR cabs needed it (screen is waaaay to bright without it).
Most monitors however do not, and no scaler (xRGB Mini, OSSC, RetroTink 5x) needs it period.

Ah cool, now the only issue is having to mess with the settings on the monitor whenever I swap out boards. Ah well!

I sold my PCB for 80$ because I never liked it...
Horrible game play, ridiculously huge hardware/board, mono sound unless you attenuate the funky/offspec 2.1 (left/right/base) wiring setup.

I know some people like it/keep the PCB around because MAME isn't very accurate with this game.
But I won't even boot it up in MAME, its such a bad game. ;)

Sophisticated presentation
1658784944556.jpeg

Thankfully Midway killed off the 2nd game before it could be unleashed onto the world.
#IratherplayPitFighter

Last edited by a moderator:
I sold my PCB for 80$ because I never liked it...
Horrible game play, ridiculously huge hardware/board, mono sound unless you attenuate the funky/offspec 2.1 (left/right/base) wiring setup.

I know some people like it/keep the PCB around because MAME isn't very accurate with this game.
But I won't even boot it up in MAME, its such a bad game. ;)

Sophisticated presentation
1658784944556.jpeg

Thankfully Midway killed off the 2nd game before it could be unleashed onto the world.
#IratherplayPitFighter
Ah so that was you! lol

I totally agree on the board size, its ridiculous. And with its rage cage, its wicked heavy. But I like the game for what it was. Got pretty good at it back in the day.

Back