What's new

SF3BMX

Professional
Reaction score
Well it was working great for a few days and all of a sudden the problem I was originally having from the start unfortunately came back.

So I got my chassis back from Sharp Image in Vegas this past weekend from being repaired and they basically did a complete chassis overhaul. Caps, solder joint reflow, cleanup and whatnot. The issue I had was the monitor would go into shutdown after being on for a certain amount of time. I tried adjusting the screen voltage on the flyback down a little bit since the screen had raster lines noticeable on a black screen and I initially thought too much screen voltage could have been the issue. It did last a couple hours after the adjustment so I turned the cab off and called it good. Eventually though, when I turned it back on the following day, it shut down again and was dead. Didn't turn back on after that. Sent the chassis over for repair after that point.

So when I received the chassis back after repair, me and my bro installed and connected everything. I had it on for about 4 hours+ without any issues, turn it off for the night, then I would turn it on the next day and let it run for about a couple hours before shutting it off. My plan was to repeat this process for a few days just to be sure there was consistency and that it was indeed fixed. Well today unfortunately screen began to flicker after being on for about 30min, then monitor shut itself off. I was like are you serious right now? Lol. And here's the other interesting part- when I powered it back on the amount of time the monitor would stay on seemed to get shorter before going into shutdown. Now sadly to say I am back to square one on this problem as it is back to not powering up. Still get audio and everything, but no screen. There's no "pop" when I turn on the psu like there's supposed to be either. Neck glow is also back to being non-existent.

Anybody have any idea on what to look for on this issue? I'm sure others have ran into similar scenarios on monitors and am curious on what the problem might be. Here's a quick video link I made of the issue-

https://youtu.be/74CCV2pSjnE

Bumping this thread still looking for a solution. It appears there was not enough high voltage going through that may have caused the chassis to shutdown. Need to find out what is causing it and hoping it's not a flyback issue.

I would be extremely surprised if it's the flyback.

I had similar issues and it was down to cracked solder joints on the neck connector on the neck board. That would explain the lack of neck glow too.

It would baffle me if all it happens to be is cracked solder joints, being the fact I got it back from being serviced and the same problem returns after working for a couple days.

can you:

Try the chassis on another tube? (Got a second astro?)

Try another chassis?

can you:

Try the chassis on another tube? (Got a second astro?)

Try another chassis?
I currently am looking around for a replacement chassis. Preferably an MS9-29 since I did purchase an MS8 to MS9 yoke adapter harness just to expand the options. Chassis right now is unfortunately dead so it won't work on any other tube. Still would like to fix the issue so that way I would have a spare. Yes I have a second working Astro.

does sharp image have a warranty? I've used PNL in Covina and he always gives me a 60 day warranty.

does sharp image have a warranty? I've used PNL in Covina and he always gives me a 60 day warranty.
Yea they have the 60-day warranty as well. At this point I feel like I probably should have gone the PNL route in the first place lol.

Hey @nem maybe you might know the answer to this.

So if I do grab a MS9-29A chassis will there be anything else I would need to use it on the MS8 tube besides the yoke adapter? Like the power and degauss connections and whatnot. Or are they the same as the MS8? My tube is a Toshiba A68KJU96X, which I know for sure will work with the MS9 chassis.

Degauss connector is definitely different, but if you scoop up an ms9 with the connector cables already on the chassis it should be plug and play

It would baffle me if all it happens to be is cracked solder joints, being the fact I got it back from being serviced and the same problem returns after working for a couple days.
Easy enough to check. Take a pic of the neck board (solder side).

I just received a MS9-29A chassis from PNL. Now I'm just waiting for the MS8 to MS9 yoke harness to arrive.

@nem, As soon as I get around to yanking out the MS8 and installing the MS9 I will take pics of the MS8 neck board.

Hopefully the swap will have the cab back up and running for the long haul.

I just received a MS9-29A chassis from PNL. Now I'm just waiting for the MS8 to MS9 yoke harness to arrive.
Hi SF3BMX,

How did you hung up with PNL? Do they have spare Nanao's you might know of?

Thanks!

Hi SF3BMX,
How did you hung up with PNL? Do they have spare Nanao's you might know of?

Thanks!
They might. They do sell rebuilt fully serviced chassis. Thankfully they had the MS9 I've been searching for with everything included. They don't do email though, all of their business is over the phone. Here's their info-

https://www.pnlvideo.com/

@nem finally got the MS9 chassis installed today and so far it is working well. Here is a pic of the neck board from the MS8 solder side.

FC816B41-E9B0-4F37-8449-35F8705BDB29.jpeg

Reactions: nem
@SF3BMX, yeah, it looks like all the trouble spots have been reflowed. Problem lies elsewhere!

Back