Mortak Kombat 1 - UE13 fail and then victory

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mortak Kombat 1 - UE13 fail and then victory

I have a MK1 board that started erroring out on POST with UE13 failing. To my horror, it is one of the main chips smack center of the board, not exactly a lightweight.

I decided to try reflow the pins even though I am still not confident with this fine pitch stuff.
      I am not sure if I just worsened the existing fault but saw that one of the damn tiny fine pitch pads was lifted after my attempted reflow and I felt like Boogie Nights

I read the schematics and found where the pin was supposed to go and as you can see from my amateur attempt to use a bodge wire I carefully with a magnifying glass and tweezers managed to pull it off!

The bodge wire and reflowing the chip fixed the issue. I cold started it a dozen times and no error anymore and did bunch of soft reboots too and it seems to pass POST every time now!
      Images
      • mk1u13fix.jpg

180.85 kB, 1,080×608, viewed 17 times
    • Nice job!

I had a Rampage World Tour fail on me, same deal (one of the large I think U33 or something chips).
      These Midway PCBs are "creeky & cracky" and cold joint all the freaking time! :cursing:
      I highly recommend the Highflow.NL cases both for consolidation and protection. :thumbup:

Darksoft/Apocalypse: CPS2, CPS3, F3-β, MVS, S16-β
      Marqs: OSSC v1.5/1.6 VGP, OSSC v1.6 Kaico
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b/1.7c, Tri-Sync Helper, JVSPAC2
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega S16/24, Namco S11/12 KHA
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender SE-HAS, Jassifier v1.6