What's new

Velyks

Student
Reaction score
Not my fault. Sega's wiring puts 12v on the red wire and 5v on the yellow wire.

Ive managed to stick 12v on the 5v rail of my CPS2. Has anyone done this before? What is likely to have blown? Is it a gonner?

I had a B board on it too. Ive tried it on another A board and it it boots but the graphics and sound are garbaged. Is it likely that just the sound/graphics/code ROMs are borked and replaceable

first of all, never EVER wire things based on wire color, that's there only as a guide so you can more easily distinguish one wire from the next in a bundle or more easily find the other end of the wire in a harness. NOTHING MORE.

while a lot of companies do typically use red for 5v and yellow for ground, there's no actual standard, and who knows if someone has messed with it... never trust the wire color.

with that said your PCB is likely borked for good.

in the instances where I've had a significant over voltage on a PCB I've found that even if I replace all of the faulty chips, many of the "good" chips are damaged but not showing signs and will fail within the next few weeks, months, years depending on use. the 5V line is connected directly to EVERY chip on the PCB, it's like they all just took a bullet, some have died now, some will die soon, and even the ones that survived will likely die before their time.

Just be glad you did this on a "cheap" board like a CPS2

if it were me I would cut my losses and buy a new board set maybe find a cheap one with a messed up shell so you can salvage that from your current boardset.

Back