What's new

Samelak

Student
Reaction score
I’ve been trying to get this cabinet for nearly a year from a local operator and finally its in my possession. Needless to say, it needs a full cosmetic restoration. The whites are all yellowed out and the CPO is cracking. The cabinet is fairly solid, but uses a lot of particle board. I want to re-do the sides in formica to strengthen everything, but I need to figure out how to reproduce the artwork. Can anyone recommend someone who can reproduce the art if I somehow get scans from my cabinet? I would also consider sending my control panel to someone who can scan it for reproduction.

ZHJH2A.jpg

wUAMtR.jpg

Awesome get.

Artwork looks super easy to vector. I can do that for you free if you can get me the scans. I can do them off photos too, but they won't be as accurate and you'll have to provide me measurements as well. Then you would just need to get the artwork printed.

Although this said, looking at the pics, at least the left side looks perfectly fine and the original artwork on it looks great. Not sure why you would want to redo it. Why is particle board an issue? Most arcade cabs are made out of it.

Original trumps repros any day of the week IMO.

Normally I would agree with keeping the original art, but the white looks a lot more yellow in person than what the picture lets on. Plus the control panel overlay is cracking really bad. The cabinet also has damage on the lower, back corners from not being support properly. I want to fix the wood and reinforce it with laminate. That will keep the particle board sides from breaking up. But of coarse I would need to replace the artwork afterwords. Oddly enough, the back and the insides are practically pristine. Aside from the sides and front, this should be a fairly easy restore.

Love the look of that cab, can't wait to see the restore!

I was actually researching this cabinet recently! Very unique looking. Would love to get all sorts of dimensions and shots of how it was made. This is a cabinet that I feel would be lost to time because of it's wood based sides going bad. Please do whatever you can to preserve this.

I was actually researching this cabinet recently! Very unique looking. Would love to get all sorts of dimensions and shots of how it was made. This is a cabinet that I feel would be lost to time because of it's wood based sides going bad. Please do whatever you can to preserve this.
It’s not just wood-based, it’s all wood. Even the curvature at the top are thick pieces of wood. Only the marquee housing is plastic. The cabinet could probably be reproduced fairly easy. You would just need someone to reproduce the metal control panel and the marquee housing.

I appreciate the offer on the art. I have someone on the KLOV offering help right now, but I will keep you in mind if it falls through. Would you be interested in pictures and dimensions if you want to vectorize for historical purposes?

Send me a message with your email and I will send whatever pictures and dimensions needed.

Do you already have this in hand? If/when you do, I selfishly ask you take a video tour of it inside and out. Such a rare cabinet. I find this and the Domy H.V. to be unicorns.

Need all the dimensions, someone who can reproduce the plastic topper, and already a few folks in these forums who could reproduce the metal control panel. Techno Urban repros for everybody! And since it's wood as you say, we can fit any monitor in there really. :)

I just got it stripped down to just the cabinet, so no problem on documenting this. It actually wouldn’t be too hard to duplicate. Someone on the KLOV is helping on the artwork plus I sent pictures to nem to vectorize as well.

I'm sure he's slammed at the moment, but if it comes down to it, try asking Hursit once the Mini Cute repros are on the boat. Awesome pickup, and good luck with the project!

Just finished up the bodywork on one side and installed new laminate. The particle board was stable, but easily chips. Reminds me of my Donkey Kong cabinet. The laminate will protect it much better and makes a good foundation for side art.

w1VMtl.jpg

Updated progress... The sides have been re-done in laminate, the insides repainted black and check out that awesome control panel. Big thanks to an awesome KLOVer who is helping me with the artwork. Once I have the side art, it’ll be a matter of a few hours to finish this project. I have Silkworm, Wild Fang (Tecmo Knight) and Ninja Gaiden PCBs on a switcher.

3gpmEo.jpg

JDYBym.jpg

Y1Nrii.jpg

Big thumbs up!

I am rather envious. I hope you document the dimensions and stuff. Really only thing holding reproductions of this back are the plastic topper and metal cp.

It’s not just wood-based, it’s all wood. Even the curvature at the top are thick pieces of wood. Only the marquee housing is plastic. The cabinet could probably be reproduced fairly easy. You would just need someone to reproduce the metal control panel and the marquee housing.

I appreciate the offer on the art. I have someone on the KLOV offering help right now, but I will keep you in mind if it falls through. Would you be interested in pictures and dimensions if you want to vectorize for historical purposes?
You should definitely post the artwork here or wiki ao

I
Do you already have this in hand? If/when you do, I selfishly ask you take a video tour of it inside and out. Such a rare cabinet. I find this and the Domy H.V. to be unicorns.

Need all the dimensions, someone who can reproduce the plastic topper, and already a few folks in these forums who could reproduce the metal control panel. Techno Urban repros for everybody! And since it's wood as you say, we can fit any monitor in there really. :)
can probably do the topper and cp just need the dimensions.

I

can probably do the topper and cp just need the dimensions.
So I am guessing just the front facing part is plastic?
@jermz1 How can you do the topper? What material would you use?

@Samelak Get this man some dimensions pronto :thumbsup:

@Kavas I was going to recreate it in fusion 360 for 3d printing. I'm guessing it's hard plastic anything less would be too flimsy and would of cracked. Unless that's fiberglass

@Kavas I was going to recreate it in fusion 360 for 3d printing. I'm guessing it's hard plastic anything less would be too flimsy and would of cracked. Unless that's fiberglass
I'm a bit ignorant of 3D printing, but isn't that piece rather large for a 3D printer? Would you print it in parts and and then glue together? Or is this something to be sent off to a large 3D printing house?

@Samelak Not only dimensions, but could you get some close of pictures of the topper and plastic marquee part and how it connects? Hell more pictures in general all around :)

Back