What's new

Zebra

Professional
Reaction score
I've seen multiple posts here saying that Time Crisis 3 also works with a CCD camera gun set-up (in addition to regular light guns). Has anyone actually seen this working?

I can't find any reference to it in the TC3 manual and I've never seen any CCD Time Crisis guns for sale anywhere (new or used).

If there is a non-light gun option for use on HD screens, which I/O / gun system does it use?

Vampire Night's Rays PCB would be my guess as it's also a 246 game and it's I/O seems to connect to the USB ports (just like the regular TC3 I/O) but I've seen posts here claiming it's compatible with the Crisis Zone gun system. Crisis Zone's I/O seems to output in a USB-like format (with D+, D- 5v + GND) but it's not a 246 game.

So... has anyone here actually got TC3 working with a CCD gun? If so, which one?

I did manage to find the manual for the camera set up version of the game. Here, take a look:https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/5/5a/Time_Crisis_3_DX_Camera_Manual_.pdf
Thanks.

That proves it exists and it uses the same tech as Crisis Zone. I'm very curious to hear how it performs in comparison to the light gun versions.

In theory, that design should be at least as accurate as light guns but, for whatever reason, Namco chose to go the OMZ route for all subsequent HD shooters. That makes me assume there was some kind of issue.

Plus, you never see the ccd camera version guns for sale on eBay. So, either they weren't very popular or they were so good that everyone is hanging on to them....

Thanks.

That proves it exists and it uses the same tech as Crisis Zone. I'm very curious to hear how it performs in comparison to the light gun versions.

In theory, that design should be at least as accurate as light guns but, for whatever reason, Namco chose to go the OMZ route for all subsequent HD shooters. That makes me assume there was some kind of issue.

Plus, you never see the ccd camera version guns for sale on eBay. So, either they weren't very popular or they were so good that everyone is hanging on to them....
A Chinese seller on eBay is selling the cabinet cameras for time crisis 3, the only thing I don’t see for sale are the guns themselves until they posted some guns that claim to work for time crisis 1-4. This caught my attention because this light gun was in the original design opposed to the upgrade version time crisis 4 uses. Plus, time crisis 4 doesn’t uses optical gun technology. I went ahead and bought one. Well, it’s a NAMED branded gun. It uses an optical sensor instead of a camera. The manual for the camera version uses the rays pcb but I think time crisis 3 is also compatible with crisis zone’s I/O pcb, with a different eprom? What I’m most curious about this setup is if it still needs a crt or projector screen for the cameras to register the shots or can a led/lcd screen can be used? I wish I had a complete crisis zone set or vampire night pcb to test this theory out as well. I guess that one reason they’re so rare is because they (the gun sensor and cabinet cameras) break/fail so easily. Plus, I’m guessing no operator wanted to pay more for the camera technology opposed to the easy to “fix” optical technology version.
As for Namco not sticking with camera technology, I guess that IR was far more cheaper and easier to work with than camera setups. Obviously, as IR tech became more cheaper and widely used, camera tech wasn’t going to stick around for much longer. Hopefully we don’t have to worry about this longer as I have some hope that the sinden light gun and the OSSC can make these games playable on a modern flat screen and with great accuracy!

Last edited:
A Chinese seller on eBay is selling the cabinet cameras for time crisis 3, the only thing I don’t see for sale are the guns themselves until they posted some guns that claim to work for time crisis 1-4. This caught my attention because this light gun was in the original design opposed to the upgrade version time crisis 4 uses. Plus, time crisis 4 doesn’t uses optical gun technology. I went ahead and bought one. Well, it’s a NAMED branded gun. It uses an optical sensor instead of a camera. The manual for the camera version uses the rays pcb but I think time crisis 3 is also compatible with crisis zone’s I/O pcb, with a different eprom? What I’m most curious about this setup is if it still needs a crt or projector screen for the cameras to register the shots or can a led/lcd screen can be used? I wish I had a complete crisis zone set or vampire night pcb to test this theory out as well. I guess that one reason they’re so rare is because they (the gun sensor and cabinet cameras) break/fail so easily. Plus, I’m guessing no operator wanted to pay more for the camera technology opposed to the easy to “fix” optical technology version.
As for Namco not sticking with camera technology, I guess that IR was far more cheaper and easier to work with than camera setups. Obviously, as IR tech became more cheaper and widely used, camera tech wasn’t going to stick around for much longer. Hopefully we don’t have to worry about this longer as I have some hope that the sinden light gun and the OSSC can make these games playable on a modern flat screen and with great accuracy!
Time Crisis 4 (and all of Namco's subsequent HD shooters) use the same OMZ IR guns as Sega. It's definitely not a cheaper set-up. I'd say it's probably even more expensive than the CCD camera set-up.

It's weird that the CCD option exists for Time Crisis 3 given that the camera version cabs still appear to use the same CRT rear projection TVs as the regular deluxe version.

I always thought that the only reason that Crisis Zone used a camera set-up was because it's a machine gun only game. When you play it on the PS2 with a real light gun the flashing is a bit much. It looks like a Japanese wedding...

Time Crisis 4 is a 480p game so they wouldn't have been able to use the same light gun I/O as TC 2 and 3. The company seemed to lose it's taste for developing it's own custom hardware in that period. The OMZ guns were an easy off-the-shelf 3rd party option.

My guess as to why they didn't use CCD guns for TC4 would be compatibility issues with monitors that have anti glare / anti reflective coatings. Who knows though. It could have been maintenance issues too as used Crisis Zone guns always seem to be broken...

BTW, those "Named" Time Crisis guns are just Chinese knock-offs of the regular Time Crisis 1, 2 and 3 guns. Compatibility with Time Crisis 4 would have been a typo.

The only way you'd be able to use a Time Crisis 4 gun to play TC3 or TC2 would be a custom USB adapter / converter (like a UHID but for a Namco 246) or... Using a PS2 emulator on a PC.

Personally, I think playing Time Crisis 1, 2 and 3 on HD flat screen monitors is the wrong goal. Old light gun games look an play best with a real light gun on a CRT.

If the goal is to play them on a larger screen then a CRT projector is the way to go IMO. I bought a pair for my basement recently. With the right screen and Namco's amplified gun sensors, a 70"-100" 4:3 screen is no issue.

This isn't my video but it does the job:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxbrxXPBigk

The old 15khz only 7" CRT projectors with RGB are dirt cheap on ebay. They're small and light enough to move on your own and take up no more floor space than a 27" crt monitor.

All fellow light gun fanatics should own a set of OMZ guns too but for all the Sega and Namco's HD shooters.

There is a whole lot of awesome light gun games and HD shooters. Enough that it's worth investing in both IMO.

Personally, I think playing Time Crisis 1, 2 and 3 on HD flat screen monitors is the wrong goal. Old light gun games look an play best with a real light gun on a CRT.
I don’t know if it’s just me but have you hooked up these games on an OSSC? They look extremely gorgeous! Same thing with point blank 2! I have never seen these games running on real hardware look as good as emulation. I’m still hoping for sinden light gun support.

There is a whole lot of awesome light gun games and HD shooters. Enough that it's worth investing in both IMO.
I know that lol! I wish I could get more (ninja assault or vampire night). I love learning about what arcade hardware they ran on and what is needed to get them hooked up. I know a console is easier and cheaper to hook up but I like a great challenge! The only thing holding me back from obtaining more gun games is how expensive they can be and how rare or scarce some parts are to get them running properly! I enjoy talking with you about this topic! 😎

I know that lol! I wish I could get more (ninja assault or vampire night). I love learning about what arcade hardware they ran on and what is needed to get them hooked up. I know a console is easier and cheaper to hook up but I like a great challenge! The only thing holding me back from obtaining more gun games is how expensive they can be and how rare or scarce some parts are to get them running properly! I enjoy talking with you about this topic! 😎
Most of us are in the same boat. If money was no object then there would be no PCBs left on ebay.

All you can do is keep an eye out for a deal on what you want and prioritize.

Luckily all the multi game options and cracked PC based arcades is making it easier as you can just buy each bit of hardware once.

I'd personally never choose to play an old standard res arcade light gun game on an HD flat screen with a consumer camera based gun when I could choose to play with real light guns on a CRT.

That applies equally to any other type of CGA, EGA and VGA arcade games. I've never seen one look better on a flatscreen. That applies x10 if it's an LCD as they are the worst display tech ever made.

An OSSC does a better job of scaling than the crappy onboard scalers found in most TVs but it's still a major compromise.

As anyone who went to Sunday school knows... Scaling makes baby Jesus cry....

I own real light guns, Sega OMZ IR guns and a whole bunch of positional guns. I already could play most standard res shooters on an HD display. I choose not to.

The 77" Oled in my living room looks great for 1080p and 4k movies. It looks awful for old games.

To me, using (the right type of) real arcade controls and the correct type of display for each game is the most important part of bringing the arcade experience home.

Back