What's new

tacobell

Grand Master
Reaction score
I powered this on and the sound was super low but peaking at the highs. Kind if glitchy and scratchy sounding, with some echoing. This is the first time I’ve come across this issue, but was hoping someone can help me out with this. I purchased this off eBay and just received it today. If this is easily fixable, I will keep it, if not I will return it as it was listed 100% working. Thanks in advance!

Attract mode

Comparison with Sunsetriders

It's the SMD caps on the sound module. You'll need to replace those.

Someone will chime in with replacing the whole sound module, but personally I have just have recapped the two I have and they've been fine.

Thanks @nem! Where are these located and how hard is that? I was also told that @Mitsurugi-w replaces those too? I’m not that skilled and I wouldn’t want to try especially with this expensive board.

They're the 10 round things on top of the sound module, covered under the black paint. You can see them in the preview pic of the Youtube video.

I wouldn't say it's hard. Certainly one of the easiest SMD work you can do. Naturally if you decide to tackle it, practice on some scrap board beforehand (anything with SMD caps). You will also need to strip the paint off beforehand.

It’s 100% worth having @Mitsurugi-w do it for $55. He includes installation, the Caius replacement board, and sockets for that price.

Unless you just enjoy DIY, it’s worth it.

I would ask the seller for a $70 refund (to cover shipping) and do that. Depending on what you paid for the board it shouldn’t be an issue.

Back