What's new

phokkun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello!

Recently attempted to swap one of these into a Pop'n Music cabinet, Everything looked fine at first (POST and all) until windows booted. I was seeing these light, wiggly lines and specs dancing around the screen, very noticeable on a dark background which is front and center on a game like Pop'n.

Here's a couple of images to demonstrate. https://imgur.com/a/Jl1zTkz (Look below the "Ready?")

In an effort to isolate the problem. I hooked up a 360 and while it struggled to sync up initially, locked in, and the exact same issue was present. So I'm a bit stumped at this stage. I've spoken to two other Pop'n Music cab owners who've had the exact same issue with the 2932. Sadly a solution was not found.

Anyway, here's a list of what I've tried.

- Different VGA cables (one bog standard blue one, and another from a NNC)
- Different power sources (one from Pop'n and one from the NNC)
- Different outlets.
- Running the monitor outside the cab, away from any speakers or other machines.
- Adding ferrite cores to the VGA cable.

It's worth noting that the original Orion/Toei combo worked absolutely fine, albeit at 15khz. And, the 2932 was demonstrated to be working perfectly via a Dreamcast when I picked it up.

Thanks for looking :>

Looks like ground interference.

In Sega cabs the monitors are never grounded. They're isolated from the rest of the cab. Do you have continuity between the motherboard cage and the frame of the monitor?

Although, you did say it happens with a 360 too. So yeah, maybe I'm wrong.

This actually interests me, because I was about to drop a 2932 in a Pop'n too. It currently has a Tosh PF and I have way better uses for it.

Thanks Nem. I suspected as much but with your post helping confirm my suspicion I did some more homework and sure enough.

I checked continuity and it's present however sketchy in some areas, I had a few ground wires spare from the coin mech I removed so I touched up a few areas. It's an original cab, with wiring for the DJ MAIN, Python and BemaniPC. So it's a bit of a rats nest too.

Near the DSUB15 port on the chassis I decided to run a ground wire up and screw it in and it actually went away for a while! Removed the wire and it came back. I've got it to a point where I honestly couldn't even notice it now, but would much prefer it's gone 100%.

Regardless, it's a start, and I'm relieved it's not something terribly wrong with the cabinet or chassis. Maybe I overcomplicated what was essentially a simple problem. But after speaking to two other cab owners with the same issue it was hard not to haha.

Now to rig up a degauss switch...

Back