What's new

neSneSgB

Student
Reaction score
I have two D29C051s with PB9929 chassis that I recapped at the same time. The first one works great, but the second one no longer wants to power up, instead it makes a chirping sound. The working chassis works on both tubes, so the tubes are okay.

Both chassis were recapped with the same capacitors, and I have gone over both side-by-side to confirm that nothing is installed backwards, shorted, or otherwise installed improperly. I also replaced the ceramic cap at C808 on both, since it was cracked on the working chassis.

I see that a bad HOT or flyback can be the issue here, but I wouldn't think one would give out on me right after I recap it. I could also use the working chassis to swap parts around to find the culprit, but I fear that a bad component may cause damage to the working parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo19trRyMQI Here's a link to what it is doing, any advice would be appreciated.

I checked the Toshiba 2SC5332 HOT, and the resistance measurements I got matched what I measured on the working chassis, so I don't think the HOT is shorted. I might try undoing any capacitor work done in the HV area and see if it starts working again.

Were you able to identify the issue with this? Very curious if you shorted the HV.

I did a little more investigation, but I just decided to send it in to a repair shop, since I have other things to work on. I'll report back with what the issue was when it gets back to me.

Back