What's new

IPD

Professional
Reaction score
I've had a MV1-FZS Neo Geo board collecting dust here for a while and today I decided to test it. After hooking it up to my HAS supergun and starting it for the first time I immediately detected some kind of annoying "humming" sound coming from my monitor. Power on/off a few times, but it's still there. Everything seems to work though, except for that annoying noise.

Anyway, I tested a few other boards that I have here, MV2, MV6, a Turtles PCB and my Taito F3. No noise coming from the monitor. Great. So I guess something is up with the MV1FZS, but what? I cleaned the Jamma connector and the cartridge slot with some ISO, but the problem is still there after connecting it again. Looking at the board I see no obvious problems, but I'm certainly no expert. My setup is quite simple - MV1FZS - HAS Supergun - MWP-606 PSU - Panasonic BT-M1420PY monitor.

I'd appreciate some help or suggestions. :)

I'd recap the board using Rubycon PX or Panasonic NHG capacitors, but I'm not sure if that may solve the problem.

-- edit: since the sound comes from the monitor, have you tested other MVS boards in that setup? it may be some issue with the monitor and Neo Geo video signal.

I'd use a ferrite bead for the video cable too. I've experienced humming sound in some consumer TV sets with some boards in the past, but I didn't find the cause. Maybe the monitor needs a recap?

Last edited:
Yes, I've tested with my Neo Geo MVS MV2 and MV6 boards. Both run fine, no sound coming from the monitor.

Also, the monitor is a Production/Broadcast monitor. Very similar to a Sony PVM. I've used it for years with many game consoles and arcade pcbs, and I've never noticed this humming sound from it before. :)

Last edited:
Back