What's new

war3zlod3r

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I recently bought my first candy cab and it’s a Sega Blast City and I’ve been working on restoring it I got locks replaced today and finally got to spend sometime playing it. In addition to the common convergence issue (strips on the way, hopefully that fixes it) the image is alittle titled and blurry. I’ve tried adjusting the OSD settings as much as I can but always end up with one corner wanting to flare out or curve in. Is there a setting I’m not getting right? Does my yoke need to be just slightly rotated? Can I make these adjustments while the monitor is in the cab or do I need to pull it completely out? Help me out please!

You say tilted, but then you say a corner is out. If it's tilted, you have to rotate the yoke. However, if it's just one corner that's out, then you need to insert yoke strips inside the yoke to pull the corner back in.

Anyway, neither of these issues you can fix with the OSD. To fix both you need to pull out the monitor from the cab and work on it while it is on.

Take a pic of a crosshatch screen.

If the whole image is tilted , there is an adjustment in the FACTORY menu called HoriZontal Raster (R-Shift) . This can be adjusted there.

Look at the service manual
https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/3/34/MS-2931_Service-manual_full.pdf
so I was looking through the extended OSD menu by holding down the far right button until getting the "mode extension" option and couldn't find this feature, how do I get to the factory menu? Also here's an example of my cross hatch I took several pictures kept catching the spot I wanted to show in a screen roll....

Posted a gallery of photos here: https://postimg.cc/gallery/yRdk4yg

I can take a video if this isn't sufficient for diagnosis.

You can particularly see the distortion in the upper right corner I mentioned here in this picture:

Upper Left:

Lower Right:

Lower Left:

If you look at the text here you can see its higher on the left than on the right:

Thanks in advance for any advice I hope you guys can help me get this sorted out.
Also I made sure to reset the OSD settings from the menu before taking these picture so this should be all default settings.

Ok so I did figure out how to get into factory mode but there was no R-SHIFT option listed

Sorry . Tried it myself and there is no R-shift in the menu. The info is in the service manual though....

maybe someone knows more about this specific adjustment .

yea I'm going to keep playing with it more tomorrow but I'm starting to think maybe its not a tilted yoke but hopefully one of the Guru's will chime in with some more info!

Sorry . Tried it myself and there is no R-shift in the menu. The info is in the service manual though....

There's two different hidden menus. There's an extended menu, and then there's the factory adjustments menu. I've been meaning to add this to the AO wiki, but I always forget. For the factory adjustments menu you have to press three buttons down, not just two. Press the up and down buttons first, then the menu button, then hold all three for 3 seconds.

As for the pics, well, you don't have to rotate the yoke. Image at the top looks bang on. Dynamic convergence doesn't look too bad either, certainly better than many of mine.

You should be able to get the geometry looking better by adjusting trap, then para, then SPC and finally corner.

There's two different hidden menus. There's an extended menu, and then there's the factory adjustments menu. I've been meaning to add this to the AO wiki, but I always forget. For the factory adjustments menu you have to press three buttons down, not just two. Press the up and down buttons first, then the menu button, then hold all three for 3 seconds.
As for the pics, well, you don't have to rotate the yoke. Image at the top looks bang on. Dynamic convergence doesn't look too bad either, certainly better than many of mine.

You should be able to get the geometry looking better by adjusting trap, then para, then SPC and finally corner.
Thanks alot! I really appreciate the input I'll take sometime tonight to play with these settings and see if I can get it right that top right corner bugs me

This picture shows the tilt issue alittle better than the crosshatch I think:

if you look at the super gauges down at the bottom you can see the left players has a gap between it and the bottom and the right players does not

if you look at the super gauges down at the bottom you can see the left players has a gap between it and the bottom and the right players does not
I can see it. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to fix that. You can get the left and right hand side edges OK with the OSD, top and bottom you need to manually adjust the yoke.

so you think I do need to adjust the yoke? It doesn't seem like I would need to much I think. Having never worked on a CRT like that is there anything I should be especially aware of when trying to rotate it?

You can't fix your problem with rotating the yoke. Your top edge looks fine, it's just the bottom right edge that's sagging. You would need to remove the yoke, clean the tube and yoke, put it back, insert yoke strips, possibly magnets.

Personally, I wouldn't bother (and I haven't with my monitors).

You can get the left and right edges looking OK with just making adjustments in the OSD.

I might not, my top right edge is flaring out if you look at the pic for some reason but whenever I get it adjusted with trap/para it just seems that the lower left corner curls inward instead or creates a weird bowing along the top/rightish side, maybe thats just the convergence again. I'll try playing with SPC (side pin cushion) and corner when I get home tonight and see if that helps any, can I get a quick explanation of those two options I'm not really sure what they mean/do? Sorry if it seems like a dumb question.

SPC is for adjusting side pincushion. Basically the bowing in and out. SPC does both left and right sides at the same time. If one side is inward and the other outward, you can adjust BALANCE.
CORNER is similar to SPC, but it affects only the very top and bottom (not the middle).

Just play around with them and you'll better understand what they do. You can always reset to factory defaults.

Very likely one corner will not fall in line with the others. It is what it is. That's when you have to starting sticking things on or under the yoke.

Thanks for the explanation that will save me some time of just fooling around I really appreciate it!

Back