What's new

awbacon1

Champion
Reaction score

Ok so this could EASILY be common knowledge here but 1) it's the most common question I get in YT / via email and 2) I am sure new members will sign up and could stand to use this.

Going to be doing a JVS series next year as well to hopefully "demystify" that process as well.

I've just noticed a lot more questions lately...probably people starting new hobbies during the pandemic!

Thanks. I’ve made a I/O tutorial and a power tutorial + building custom harnesses at home to make it all work

Great, I signed up to actually ask about that... ;)

I recently bought a Naomi 2 and I'm completely at a loss here. I never had a real Arcade in my life before, but always wanted the Naomi 2 board since I knew about it. Now I'm a bit confused at where to begin.

I searched in your channel for this tutorial but was unable to find it. Or do you mean you made it but haven't uploaded it?

The thing is - my Naomi 2 has a NetDimm and a Raspberry Pi on it for the games. But no I/O board and no power supply. I live in germany and my Naomi 2 board seems to be (?) japanese. I know that it works since the guy showed me that it DOES work. ;)

I'm just unfamiliar with ATX PSUs. I'm from the Console / Mac world and I don't know much about the PSU stuff. I can do solder jobs on consoles but I'm totally clueless with power. Some say the Naomi 2 needs two PSUs because of the I/O board. Some others say you don't. Could I just hook up a really powerful ATX PSU and just use that?

And why on earth is it you don't have more clicks on YouTube? You made a ton of really great videos but only a few views :0

I recently bought a Naomi 2 and I'm completely at a loss here. I never had a real Arcade in my life before, but always wanted the Naomi 2 board since I knew about it. Now I'm a bit confused at where to begin.

I searched in your channel for this tutorial but was unable to find it. Or do you mean you made it but haven't uploaded it?

The thing is - my Naomi 2 has a NetDimm and a Raspberry Pi on it for the games. But no I/O board and no power supply. I live in germany and my Naomi 2 board seems to be (?) japanese. I know that it works since the guy showed me that it DOES work. ;)

I'm just unfamiliar with ATX PSUs. I'm from the Console / Mac world and I don't know much about the PSU stuff. I can do solder jobs on consoles but I'm totally clueless with power. Some say the Naomi 2 needs two PSUs because of the I/O board. Some others say you don't. Could I just hook up a really powerful ATX PSU and just use that?

And why on earth is it you don't have more clicks on YouTube? You made a ton of really great videos but only a few views :0
Lolol I think I deserve more clicks and views too but I’m a very not impartial person in the matter.

the videos are uploaded but not released yet. They are scheduled.

you can buy ATX to JVS / Naomi adapters online but I don’t like most of them as they only run one lead per pin for 3.3/5/12V. I run multiple leads from the 24 pin ATX cable into these pins for a more robust / reliable power delivery.

you only need a second power supply if you are using a Capcom I/O as those units will power starve a Naomi with a netdimm. They are usually fine for cart games though.

I use a relatively new I/O device made by a dude over at the Neo-Geo forums. Goes by the name “Tucson Logic”...it’s a very small and easy to use I/O for stick and button based games. There is a second firmware to plug in analog potentiometer controls for driving games but it’s really made for standard style games.

But crimping an ATX to NAOMI cable isn’t too bad. That’s what the tutorial will be when it’s out. I use a Silverstone 450 watt SFX modular power supply for my JAMMA supergun and JVS stuff and I’ve never had any power delivery issues whatsoever

F8C075C4-C82C-4617-B605-4BAB011F028D.jpeg
F8C075C4-C82C-4617-B605-4BAB011F028D.jpeg
Screen cap from the video so it’s not great but you’ll see what I mean about two leads into one pin for more reliable power

Lolol I think I deserve more clicks and views too but I’m a very not impartial person in the matter.

the videos are uploaded but not released yet. They are scheduled.

you can buy ATX to JVS / Naomi adapters online but I don’t like most of them as they only run one lead per pin for 3.3/5/12V. I run multiple leads from the 24 pin ATX cable into these pins for a more robust / reliable power delivery.

you only need a second power supply if you are using a Capcom I/O as those units will power starve a Naomi with a netdimm. They are usually fine for cart games though.

I use a relatively new I/O device made by a dude over at the Neo-Geo forums. Goes by the name “Tucson Logic”...it’s a very small and easy to use I/O for stick and button based games. There is a second firmware to plug in analog potentiometer controls for driving games but it’s really made for standard style games.

But crimping an ATX to NAOMI cable isn’t too bad. That’s what the tutorial will be when it’s out. I use a Silverstone 450 watt SFX modular power supply for my JAMMA supergun and JVS stuff and I’ve never had any power delivery issues whatsoever

I saw a few of your videos before, but none of the Naomi stuff... could it be a bad tagging? Actually the past week I searched so much about Naomi ports etc. I'm a bit shocked why your video didn't show up.

Since I don't know much about the ATX PSUs... the Naomi region doesn't matter much, does it? The ATX PSU does the whole converting by itself?
And since you mentioned the problem with the one 24 pin cable... would I get around with this? https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-RM75...=1&keywords=corsair+750&qid=1608059310&sr=8-1

Just as an example. I just quickly posted the one I was buying, but since you say 450 is enough... ;)

And yeah, I was going to buy either a Capcom I/O or a Sega I/O Rev. B - at the moment I don't know the biggest disadvantages when I would decide to buy the Sega one (I would plug the Audio into something else anyhow)

And I also intend to buy a Supergun. So... the power problem is really bugging me. Especially since I have a beautiful, fresh, willing Naomi 2 sitting right next to me, whispering in my ear.

*EDIT:kiss:

I have to take a closer look @ Tucson Logic IO

Haven't heard about that... And IO Boards are still a mystery to me lol
You should make a video about that board! :)

Last edited:
I saw a few of your videos before, but none of the Naomi stuff... could it be a bad tagging? Actually the past week I searched so much about Naomi ports etc. I'm a bit shocked why your video didn't show up.

Since I don't know much about the ATX PSUs... the Naomi region doesn't matter much, does it? The ATX PSU does the whole converting by itself?
And since you mentioned the problem with the one 24 pin cable... would I get around with this? https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-RM75...=1&keywords=corsair+750&qid=1608059310&sr=8-1

Just as an example. I just quickly posted the one I was buying, but since you say 450 is enough... ;)

And yeah, I was going to buy either a Capcom I/O or a Sega I/O Rev. B - at the moment I don't know the biggest disadvantages when I would decide to buy the Sega one (I would plug the Audio into something else anyhow)

And I also intend to buy a Supergun. So... the power problem is really bugging me. Especially since I have a beautiful, fresh, willing Naomi 2 sitting right next to me, whispering in my ear.

*EDIT:kiss:

I have to take a closer look @ Tucson Logic IO

Haven't heard about that... And IO Boards are still a mystery to me lol
You should make a video about that board! :)
No I mean the videos haven’t gone live yet. I have them scheduled for dates in the future :)

No I mean the videos haven’t gone live yet. I have them scheduled for dates in the future :)
I ment the video from your first post here, not the scheduled one! ;)

And weird. I just had a "You have insufficient privileges to reply here.". For whatever reason. Otherwise I would've posted this sooner. ;)

There should be one big thread here with the Naomi (2!) with everything in it. I found a really nice consolized version of the Naomi 2 on the net, but without any tutorial on how to make it

I ment the video from your first post here, not the scheduled one! ;)

And weird. I just had a "You have insufficient privileges to reply here.". For whatever reason. Otherwise I would've posted this sooner. ;)

There should be one big thread here with the Naomi (2!) with everything in it. I found a really nice consolized version of the Naomi 2 on the net, but without any tutorial on how to make it
Leave the link to the “consolized” Naomi and I’ll take a look and maybe pick it apart / figure it out. Or someone else on here might know more too

That is the link:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/consolized-sega-naomi-system-hdmi-ms-1926090859

I guess they used a supergun? Ans cramped everything into the shell of the board?

Or is it no supergun, but a maple to dreamcast adapter?
This was actually the beginning when I decided to buy one. But so many things confuse me, even though hardware stuff is a hobby of mine. And my OSSC just wants the VGA output ;)
yeah without seeing the hardware inside it’s impossible to say what’s going on.

but...power via ATX. Probably tapped the maple adapter pins from the reverse of the filter board. Same with VGA. Throw in a VGA to HDMI sync converter / adapter and bam...”consolized”

NAOMI had a lot of room in the plastic shell to fit things. I wouldn’t bother to consolize one myself because in all honesty it’s basically done already...VGA and RCA audio out, place to plug power in, and a place to plug controls into.

yeah without seeing the hardware inside it’s impossible to say what’s going on.

but...power via ATX. Probably tapped the maple adapter pins from the reverse of the filter board. Same with VGA. Throw in a VGA to HDMI sync converter / adapter and bam...”consolized”

NAOMI had a lot of room in the plastic shell to fit things. I wouldn’t bother to consolize one myself because in all honesty it’s basically done already...VGA and RCA audio out, place to plug power in, and a place to plug controls into.
I guess so too @ soldered from the inside.

I don't want to cut into the shell, since I plan to get the Naomi 2 into a cabinet at some point. But for now I chose to wire some extension cables onto an adapter for the maple ports, so I don't have to kill off any controller / arcade stick. ;)

And yeah, I saw that now @ a lot of room - yesterday I opened the Naomi 2 up and cleaned everything and exchanged the old fans with new silent ones, and added some buffer so the big fan isn't rumbling inside the shell anymore. :)

naomi2_fan_replacement.jpg

And I really can't wait for your next video. I'm literally refreshing my YouTube feed because of you! lol
Because the only thing I really don't get, is the PSU wiring. For example it doesn't make sense to me (at the moment at least) why there are two cables inside one slot. But hopefully your video will clear all that up. ;)

Last edited:
I guess so too @ soldered from the inside.

I don't want to cut into the shell, since I plan to get the Naomi 2 into a cabinet at some point. But for now I chose to wire some extension cables onto an adapter for the maple ports, so I don't have to kill off any controller / arcade stick. ;)

And yeah, I saw that now @ a lot of room - yesterday I opened the Naomi 2 up and cleaned everything and exchanged the old fans with new silent ones, and added some buffer so the big fan isn't rumbling inside the shell anymore. :)

naomi2_fan_replacement.jpg

And I really can't wait for your next video. I'm literally refreshing my YouTube feed because of you! lol
Because the only thing I really don't get, is the PSU wiring. For example it doesn't make sense to me (at the moment at least) why there are two cables inside one slot. But hopefully your video will clear all that up. ;)

Lol videos come out every Tues/Weds/Fri/Sun

Still wondering when that next videos shows up 😝
Happy new year by the way. :)

Other question.
I managed to power the Naomi 2 and NetDimm+Raspberry with a single 450v atx PSU. (And an adapter of course)

It all works (thanks for help so far! :) )
Next would be the Sega I/O board+the same supergun you use in the video.

Would it be possible to power all of it with the same PSU? Could I somehow split the 24pin connector for both the Naomi *and* the Supergun? And as far as I understand, the Supergun would power the IO board over JAMMA...? I am _so_ close in finishing everything lol

Question! I’m wiring up my own stick for the same super gun used in this video. For the GND from the joystick do you plug that into the same terminal as the gnd from the buttons? I got a db15 screw in terminal from Amazon similar to yours.

Question! I’m wiring up my own stick for the same super gun used in this video. For the GND from the joystick do you plug that into the same terminal as the gnd from the buttons? I got a db15 screw in terminal from Amazon similar to yours.
Yes you can share ground between the buttons and pins if you want. I have both ground wires in the same terminal post

First tutorial you were waiting for is up : https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/jvs-at-home-a-video-series-part-1-i-o-devices.16344/

If you have questions leave them on the post I linked and I'll help you out :)

Back