What's new

nonosto

Champion
Reaction score
Hello

I would like to share one question without aanswer since 22 years ago. In Sega saturn you have first SEGA AGES vol. especially Outrun, After Burner and Space harrier. So when I unmount iso I found compressed ROM (never succces to open it) and some very light file (exe...). Sega Saturn equipped with 68000 original and clone (SH2) and much more powerful than original hardware. Saturn ver. is enhanced with full 60 fps and no limited number of object slots. And maybe this game is more closed to the programmer's idea like some stage accelrated in space harrier versus original.
My question like it's same chipset familly, is it just a re ccompiled code with I/O specific file? If we assume that is it the definetely games version? No need original hardware.

THX

M2 did the games, and they are known for using emulation when/where possible... So it may have some form of emulation layer running at its core for accuracy.
However, and especially given the graphical complexity of the Saturn hardware (VDP1/VDP2) I'm pretty sure the video and sound layers are being ported.
Just a guess, I don't have any PROOF for you, only my limited understanding of the hardware and popular "tricks" of that era.

Good assuming, a mix betwen port and emu, sure I/o controller emulated. So the purist question: perfect or not port. For me not, because is enhanced like I said closed to original idea thaanks saturn's power. If someone have original part and compare with saturn port?

Back