What's new

stringbean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had this Blast City cab sitting in my shop for a few months now and my plan is to restore it by the end of December. I originally picked it up off eBay along with an Astro that I previously restored back in August time frame. My goal is to give this cab a really good deep cleaning and bring back as much of its former glory as possible without going as far as repainting. This guide will hopefully be helpful to others looking to do something similar and provide loads of information via photos.

The cab is fully functional as is right now, but has years of nicotine buildup along with rusted out and corroded parts.
RUhQKXn.jpg

D7AKe6g.jpg

The door panels have seen better days, but hopefully with some good cleaning products, elbow grease, and a little luck I can get most of the original color to return.

utdoDEU.jpg

QionIYP.jpg

GdI7Typ.jpg

I know some people like completely disassembling a cab before cleaning, but I prefer to do it part by part because I'm paranoid about losing bolts/screws/etc and/or forgetting the order in which to reassmble everything.

33Hx6q8.jpg

From the inside, the control panel looks a little gross.

LVUutu9.jpg

I removed the control panel and the front monitor bezel. I was looking around the internet for other resources on blast city disassembly and sure there is the Bass Fishing manual with the exploded view of everything (see here pg 86), but there really aren't many guides on step by step disassembly. Not that it is all that difficult, but the best resource I found was from Spacies Arcade on YouTube (see here for that video). I also watched his series on the Astro City he restored and he details out a bunch of helpful little details.

JrdzR9p.jpg

After removing the old rusted out control panel I can see there is quite a bit of rust and staining going on with the plastic. I plan to hit this with the simple green (or zep which I have for some reason instead) and a plastic brush + magic eraser. I'll be ordering some new control panels from @alberto1225 and won't need this old one. Anyone know of something better to do with these other then just trash them? I assume there has to be someone out there wanting these older panels.

alNZT3d.jpg

Time to get scrubbing. Lots of the really gross stuff came off pretty quickly, but there is some deeper staining here that I'll try to get in another pass with buffing compound and a circular buffer later.

Ly7aeAc.jpg

The bottom of the control panel doesn't look much better. And, you can see there is a lot of corrosion going on with the metal. My plan is to see if I can gather up all the worst corroded metal parts and give them a multi-day white vinegar bath later.

BpsjWfA.jpg

Some of the really dirty stuff seems to be coming off with the simple green so that's good.

WZ9ELM2.jpg

Tada! I guess I forgot to take an after picture of the top part when all rinsed off, but here is the bottom. Next, I'm going to get the buffer out and see if I can get some of the deeper stains out. Most of my availability to work on this stuff is going to be on weekdays, so I'll make more progress each day of the week and post here. I'm not entirely certain how far I'll go when it comes to the restore. I would love to recap the monitor and power supply, but I don't have that fancy Hakko desoldering sucker iron that makes it really easy and I also really hate using a solder sucker. There is the option to send off some of these things as well, but I haven't decided on that yet. It seems I could get more benefit by just buying some good tools. I have so many things that could used to be recapped with some of those fancy Nichicon caps. I still remember back when I was in college trying to desolder stuff using a solder rope - that was the worst.

I know some people like completely disassembling a cab before cleaning, but I prefer to do it part by part because I'm paranoid about losing bolts/screws/etc and/or forgetting the order in which to reassmble everything.
I'm one of the "completely disassemble" people and I had the same fear of forgetting how to put it all back together. I just took a ton of pictures with my phone and any screws/bolts/etc would get wrapped in masking tape and taped on the part they belong to. But hey, everyone's got their own way that works for them.
Anyone know of something better to do with these other then just trash them? I assume there has to be someone out there wanting these older panels.
I'd try to find someone who wants them. Especially since that looks like an original panel. Once the buttons and sticks are out they don't take much space to store. I did the same as you and replaced all my panels with repros and the old panels are leaning up against the wall by my cabs.

@stringbean i'll be interesting in the control panel, If you will to ship it internationally.

The bottom of the control panel came out really nice btw.

Any body know where to source some replacement plexi for these? Looks like someone got mad and put out a cigarette in part of mine... ;(

@stringbean i'll be interesting in the control panel, If you will to ship it internationally.
Sure! I'll send you a PM.

Alberto has really nice 100 yen stickers for these. I only bring it up becuase i just got a batch of them from him!
Great advice! I was just looking at them and think I'll get one. The one on my panel has some yellow stain I wasn't really able to remove while cleaning. I didn't show this, but before I started cleaning there were 3 or 4 stickers on top of the 100yen sticker I had to remove. I actually thought it was missing the 100 yen sticker until I peeled all the others off and there it was.

I'd try to find someone who wants them. Especially since that looks like an original panel. Once the buttons and sticks are out they don't take much space to store. I did the same as you and replaced all my panels with repros and the old panels are leaning up against the wall by my cabs.
where did you get the repros?

I've had this Blast City cab sitting in my shop for a few months now and my plan is to restore it by the end of December. I originally picked it up off eBay along with an Astro that I previously restored back in August time frame. My goal is to give this cab a really good deep cleaning and bring back as much of its former glory as possible without going as far as repainting. This guide will hopefully be helpful to others looking to do something similar and provide loads of information via photos.

The cab is fully functional as is right now, but has years of nicotine buildup along with rusted out and corroded parts.
RUhQKXn.jpg

D7AKe6g.jpg

The door panels have seen better days, but hopefully with some good cleaning products, elbow grease, and a little luck I can get most of the original color to return.

utdoDEU.jpg

QionIYP.jpg

GdI7Typ.jpg

33Hx6q8.jpg

From the inside, the control panel looks a little gross.

LVUutu9.jpg

I removed the control panel and the front monitor bezel. I was looking around the internet for other resources on blast city disassembly and sure there is the Bass Fishing manual with the exploded view of everything (see here pg 86), but there really aren't many guides on step by step disassembly. Not that it is all that difficult, but the best resource I found was from Spacies Arcade on YouTube (see here for that video). I also watched his series on the Astro City he restored and he details out a bunch of helpful little details.

JrdzR9p.jpg

After removing the old rusted out control panel I can see there is quite a bit of rust and staining going on with the plastic. I plan to hit this with the simple green (or zep which I have for some reason instead) and a plastic brush + magic eraser. I'll be ordering some new control panels from @alberto1225 and won't need this old one. Anyone know of something better to do with these other then just trash them? I assume there has to be someone out there wanting these older panels.

alNZT3d.jpg

Time to get scrubbing. Lots of the really gross stuff came off pretty quickly, but there is some deeper staining here that I'll try to get in another pass with buffing compound and a circular buffer later.

Ly7aeAc.jpg

The bottom of the control panel doesn't look much better. And, you can see there is a lot of corrosion going on with the metal. My plan is to see if I can gather up all the worst corroded metal parts and give them a multi-day white vinegar bath later.

BpsjWfA.jpg

Some of the really dirty stuff seems to be coming off with the simple green so that's good.

WZ9ELM2.jpg

Tada! I guess I forgot to take an after picture of the top part when all rinsed off, but here is the bottom. Next, I'm going to get the buffer out and see if I can get some of the deeper stains out. Most of my availability to work on this stuff is going to be on weekdays, so I'll make more progress each day of the week and post here. I'm not entirely certain how far I'll go when it comes to the restore. I would love to recap the monitor and power supply, but I don't have that fancy Hakko desoldering sucker iron that makes it really easy and I also really hate using a solder sucker. There is the option to send off some of these things as well, but I haven't decided on that yet. It seems I could get more benefit by just buying some good tools. I have so many things that could used to be recapped with some of those fancy Nichicon caps. I still remember back when I was in college trying to desolder stuff using a solder rope - that was the worst.
Looking good! +1 for Alberto

This marks day two of working on the control panel. Progress was slow because it was in such bad shape. I had to take more then a few approaches to cleaning off some of the grime before finding something that would work but I'm happy where it ended up at the end of the day. The first thing I did was give the entire body of the arcade a thorough look over to see if I could locate all the missing/incorrect screws which I'm hoping @alberto1225 can supply me with when I get some panels from him. He has been able to source screws I thought I would have to find alternatives to in the past and even been kind enough to send me some free of charge when I didn't even order anything. <3

A quick look at the control panel today shows that I was able to get some of the surface dirt off on Friday but not the dirt that was deeper engrained in the plastic or the corrosion built up on the metal parts.
A0WbVO4.jpg

Look at that metal. It feels rough to the touch and I can make out all the little pits caused by corrosion over the years.
iauRo4t.jpg

I removed as many metal parts/screws from the control panel as I could find and left most of the other stuff on the arcade so as not to get things confused. Then, I filled a tub I have with a mix of white cleaning vinegar (very cheap stuff) and water. Time to give everything a vinegar bath!
LbDPd7D.jpg

The effects were pretty amazing. This pic is unfortunately after everything had been in the bin for about 20-30 min, but you can see the vinegar had already started breaking down the rust and corrosion. One by one, I pulled things out and took a plastic scrub brush and gave them a nice scrubbin which pulled the remaining rust off.

Check out the before and after on the control panel hinge.
xJWJu3b.jpg
cSJZlK7.jpg

Another part that looked exponentially better (but of course I forgot to photo it individually) was the latch that locks the control panel shut.

It also looks like KC somehow left what I believe is a New Net City part in the coin bucket on accident so I cleaned that up too.
3UC05c5.jpg
SOQlBIg.jpg

Next, I pulled that nasty old 100 yen sticker off and cleaned up the spot. I thought I might need to use some Goo Gone, but just slowly picking at it and peeling it back by rubbing with my finger did the trick.
4ep3ULw.jpg
R0YUNw1.jpg

I took all the metal parts to the sink and rinsed the vinegar off them next.
uoYhmXo.jpg

The vinegar was a little aggressive on the bolts and washers painted black and actually removed some paint unfortunately. And I also noticed the chrome brackets that hold the glass piece in place for the control panel had a thick layer of adhesive on the backside which I later removed using a small plastic razor blade and Goo Gone.

The two L shaped brackets are actually for an Astro City, but included on this cab so I'll have to acquire some of the appropriate Blast city brackets. They are used to hold the control panel shut and the Blast City brackets are actually supposed to be slightly narrower.

jjptHrK.jpg

Now, I have to back up a little because I forgot to mention cleaning the panel itself.
UvQg74J.jpg

You can see in the above pic the panel has some serious leftover dirt to be reckoned with. The stuff on the 1 player side near where someones wrist would rest was particularly deep in the plastic. The plastic itself has deep cuts and gashes from watches or knives or who knows what rubbing against it for years probably. Then, the dirt was nestled in those crevices. At first, I sprayed the rust stains with vinegar as well as the other stains and let it sit for 20 min before trying to scrub/rub it off. This didn't seem to do anything. So, I took my Simple Green and sprayed it and then took a scrub daddy plastic scrub pad and aggressively scrubbed this area. This helped a little but still didn't get rid of the worst stuff. So finally, I took out my electric buffer and used a rubbing compound on the plastic. This helped the most so far.

Qqg4hme.jpg

You can see this helped quite a bit but there was still a bunch of leftover dirt embedded in there. Next, I wiped the plastic clean and pulled out some of my Meguiar's Oxidation Remover to see if that would have any better results. It did. Even though it's technically meant for fiberglass it did a fine job on the plastic here. Using that, I cleaned the remaining dirt stains out, but couldn't really buff out the deep scratches in the plastic. Maybe someday I will sand the plastic or something to smooth this out and do a repaint.

LvHj3Ae.jpg

As for the rust, I wasn't able to clean that very well. Anyone have any tried and true ways to clean rust off plastic other then vinegar? Maybe I'll give the vinegar another shot at some point, but to be honest after cleaning it up as much as I did I felt it would be okay since those stains will sit below the metal control panel insert and won't be visible.

The Meguiar's also did a fine job of polishing up the bottom of the panel and removed some stains that were still there.

YjJx0KQ.jpg

Once I finished buffing I put the panel back together, but I will probably do some more stuff to it. The back of the glass insert has missing black paint from scratches so I would like to find something I can fill those in with. Also, I may at a later point buff out the wrist spot some more on the control panel. but, aside from that, I figured I would throw it back together and call it good for now. I had a repro blast panel laying around that is not from Albert so I threw it on top. I'll still be getting some panels from Albert for both 1p and 2p since I like his so much though.

ybg4Tec.jpg

It also looks like KC somehow left what I believe is a New Net City part in the coin bucket on accident so I cleaned that up too.
SOQlBIg.jpg

It's been a while since I had my hands on a Blast, but I'm pretty sure that 'New Net City part' is actually the lock tang for the cashbox door (which would explain why it was in the cash box). The Blast has a very cool (and kinda overengineered) three-way lock; the rotation of the lock itself rotates a cam that secures the door horizontally and pushes some vertical bars into the top and bottom of the door frame. You can see it on Page 70 of the Bass Fishing manual here, and on page 44 of the JP Blast manual here.

1607412852109.png

White vinegar is awesome stuff when used right; I had a similar experience a couple nights ago where a totally messed up CP hinge just cleaned right up after a short bath in it.

I found your Astro restore very inspiring; I adapted some tricks from it when I was working on my own over the last few weeks. I'm sure this thread will be just as fun to watch. Good luck!

Awesome work! I am probably going to get a Blast City myself next year, so need to pin this thread for future cleaning!

It's been a while since I had my hands on a Blast, but I'm pretty sure that 'New Net City part' is actually the lock tang for the cashbox door (which would explain why it was in the cash box). The Blast has a very cool (and kinda overengineered) three-way lock; the rotation of the lock itself rotates a cam that secures the door horizontally and pushes some vertical bars into the top and bottom of the door frame. You can see it on Page 70 of the Bass Fishing manual here, and on page 44 of the JP Blast manual here.

Wow, that's pretty cool. I had no idea. When I looked at the inside of the lock box I just assumed that it functioned identical to the Astro City. Thanks for the tip!

Also, glad to hear you found something helpful in the Astro City thread. If you came up with any useful modifications on ways to do things I would definitely be interested to hear them. :)

I've been considering replacing the stock PSU fan with a Noctua NF-A8 FLX since I see a few online have mentioned it works well and is much quieter. Does anyone know the correct voltage for the fan? 12V/5V?

tbh, i don't remember if i really had to change the connector, but i think i did - i chose the one i used because it was supposed be the quietest model that should work but i'm pretty sure the difference between the two noctuas is negligible - especially when you're running a game with sound :)

Back