What's new
Reaction score
I need to power a 5 inch fan by my arcade PSU. I have a fan now that's labeled 12v 0.27a with 2 pins. Can I just connect one pin to +12v and the other to ground? I'm guessing it will spin way too fast if I do that.

I'm happy to get another fan if that would be better. Is there a type of fan that's easy to connect to an arcade PSU?

That's just how much current it draws. You can check how many amps your PSU supplies. It's usually written after the voltage. Regular arcade PSUs usually put out 1.5 to 2 amps.

Works great! But the fan is a little loud. I'm looking at quiet 120mm fans on Amazon but everything seems to be 3-pin or 4-pin. If I connect the right two wires to the PSU will it just run at full speed without the other two pins connected?

If I connect the right two wires to the PSU will it just run at full speed without the other two pins connected?

Correct. The third pin is for the tachometer signal, the fourth one is for pulse width modulation. The ones you want are GND and +12V. But yeah, you can just leave the other two unconnected.

Back