What's new

SmokeMonster

Champion
Reaction score
I'm curious to find out the state of the CPS2 development world. Post here if you're working on anything or know of ongoing projects. The last year has seen a lot of cool new releases from various teams and individuals, and it would be cool learn what more we have to look forward to.

CPS2 is a very barebones, kernel-less, bios-less system. A game has to run down to the metal and there's no libraries, sample source code or asset creation tools for it. Which means one has to be a grown up, manly programmer to pick it for program for.

CPS2 is a very barebones, kernel-less, bios-less system. A game has to run down to the metal and there's no libraries, sample source code or asset creation tools for it. Which means one has to be a grown up, manly programmer to pick it for program for.
So the development kit Capcom used was never leaked?

Not that I know of. It's easier to see leaks from something like PS1, PS2 or PS3 based arcade hardware (involves many companies, not just one) than is to see devkits from such dedicated single company hardware. ;)

Likely dev's used FM-Towns PCs and left over X68Ks from CPS1 dev.

Also Dev boards could write data back onto the program roms as some left over Dev tools have a save function, but there is many ways to do this.

Nicely done. Was just thinking earlier of looking into the difficulty of editing palettes on these games. Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter had a far more extensive set of color palettes on the home Saturn release vs the arcade.

Palettes were never encrypted, it's the programming that was. Each color value has 4 bits and a brightness value that is added later after being put into the ram.

Examples
Big Endian(How it's displayed in mame)
In GFX Ram
White FFFF
Red FF00
Green F0F0
Blue F00F

in a hex editor
White FF0F
Red 000F
Green F000
Blue 0F00

And palettes are 16 colours, with the first colour always being transparency. (at least in CPS1, can't imagine CPS2 SF2 is much different)

Nope, even on CPS1 the first color was a color it was the last one that is the transparent but then again on old hard it was the first or last.

Nope, even on CPS1 the first color was a color it was the last one that is the transparent but then again on old hard it was the first or last.
Weird, not with the sf2t rom I was dealing with. Guess it depends on the code.

You could be loading the palettes wrong too. Either way would still look correct.

Also, I got said graphics roms from sf2t/Hyper Fighting to load correctly on a cps2 with just interleaving the bytes on graphic roms just right.

Back