What's new
NORMALLY the card reader is either powered by the S-CONV PCB (the 2-pin connection there) or if there's ONLY a C-CONV PCB, a branched connection with a cable going to the exceed for data, and a cable going to +5v/GND

please advise with what your setup is and/or photos.

I have found an easy way to use JUST the EXCARD with no external PCB if you have an S-CONV+C-CONV based setup and a simple pin reassignment on two plugs, and I'm also making some dedicated wiring sets to connect the EXCARD directly to the C-CONV (which apparently some games came with, but I have no examples of onhand), but again, with no need for external power.

I have the PS2 controller ports harness that hooks up to the 16 pin port on the front of the 256 near memory card slot 2. I had found someone selling it on ebay, so I can plug Ps1 or Ps2 controllers in.

NORMALLY the card reader is either powered by the S-CONV PCB (the 2-pin connection there) or if there's ONLY a C-CONV PCB, a branched connection with a cable going to the exceed for data, and a cable going to +5v/GND please advise with what your setup is and/or photos. I have found an easy way to use JUST the EXCARD with no external PCB if you have an S-CONV+C-CONV based setup and a simple pin reassignment on two plugs, and I'm also making some dedicated wiring sets to connect the EXCARD directly to the C-CONV (which apparently some games came with, but I have no examples of onhand), but again, with no need for external power.
The way mine is setup, I have the Jamma harness connected to the Jamma (B) I/O board, there is a wire that comes off of the 9 pin that connects to my psu that connects to the 2 pin adapters that come out of the wires that hook into the excard board. Without that power wire connected the system fails to see the card readers. the other end of those wires is connected to the S-Conv boards which then connect to the card readers themselves.

Are you saying that the s-conv boards could somehow provide the power? Or is that some sort of different configuration then what I am using?

Also one more question defor, card reader 2 is being seen by the game but when I put a card in it, the card is not read, could it need a cleaning? Dirty sensor perhaps?

Last edited:
wow i totally misread all of the above.. oops.
seems i had an old version of the thread on my screen before i replied...

yeah I need to make some more controller adapters as well for 256..
sadly only a real few games support... :(

Well I now have both card readers working without any major problems. Only problem is that one of the card readers will eject the card while the other will not, I have to push the mechanism with my hand manually to get the card out. Could it be a bad Solenoid? It reads and writes the card fine though.

Also, Anyone know anything about Namco System 357 Card readers for Tekken 6 Bloodline Rebellion, are they completely different ones or just a new interface board?

I have a random question I just thought of, My Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection game is TED2 Ver A (Ver B1 in test mode), If I used my Data card on another machine with a different version of T5DR (Say TED1) would it work, are all versions of Dark Resurrection cross compatible with data cards or will only the version the card was made on work?

The card reader uses TAG RFID technology?

it is possible to dump this kind of card in infinite use :rolleyes: :love: ?

@Mini_Goat_King for what its worth, i have been told that Tekken 5 cards do not work for Super Dragon Ball Z

@defor do you have any info on the Naomi IC emulator? i would like to look into the possibility of making Namco System 256 Super Dragon Ball Z more accessible because the IC cards are becoming more difficult to come by

Tekken 5 cards are region locked as well as game locked. You can use a Tekken 5 card on DR which will upgrade it to DR so long as the region matches but it can no longer be used on previous versions.

As for emulation you would need to crack the cipher used with these cards which is currently unknown.

Wait, do the cards function if the game is offline?

Last edited:
Back