What's new

Hellfromabove

Professional
Reaction score
I am creating this thread as I have not been able to find a thread just dedicated to the Type X family. My good friend Niko has been asking me to upload some pictures of some of the items I have as they would be good to use for educational and research purposes. I will create a few posts below this listing some of the components and games I have. All images will be linked back to my imgur account that you can access here.

This post will show pictures of a couple of Type X3 games that I have.

The first game here is Gunslinger Stratos:

rHOhdVo.jpg

This is a basic picture of the Taito Type X3 game.

ZC02XYb.jpg

Here is a picture of the rear portion of the security key. As you can see, it has an abbreviated name of the game that it is paired with, the model number of the TX3 HDD, and a unique serial number for the game.

fHZ46RT.jpg

As you can see, this is definitely different from the USB security dongle that had previously come with the TX and TX2. This is a heightened security measure taken by Taito to better protect their games. It has an IDEesque type connector at the top that plugs in to the TX3 hardware's proprietary PCI card.

8YXrblf.jpg

The TX3 HDD is mounted similarly to the TX2 games we have seen in the past. It is a SATA drive that is the size of a laptop hard drive. Only real difference between this and a TX2 game is the physical size and space on the HDD (biggest that a TX2 game has been on was 250gb).

LHJda5s.jpg

Here you can see a close up view of the logo on the TX3 security key.

This post will go over another Type X3 game that I have, Lord of Vermillion 3.

BqGo5rK.png

When I saw this listing, I knew I had to grab it. This was a very interesting one as you will see from the image. If you notice, the drive in the middle of the picture says "MAIN UNIT" where as the others state "SATELLITE". So there is a main home unit that all the satellite units communicate with. Finally, you will see that the unit on the bottom right has a sticker that lists it as version 3.201 which is an updated version of the game. Hopefully the rest are originals and that is an upgraded version. Each board/ drive has their security dongle with it as well so you can compare between them. I was not sure when I would find the set together again so I nabbed it.

CSCye7a.png

A picture of one of each unique drive in my possession along with their security dongles.

315X0oz.png

A close up image of the main unit board/ drive and security dongle.

QTlCoGN.png

A close up image of the satellite unit board/ drive and security dongle.

4cUn1tH.png

A close up image of the satellite unit version 3.201 board/ drive and security dongle.

Last edited:
This post will be for one of the NESICA RFID readers I have.

fUnUiq5.jpg

This item is usually placed on to an arcade cabinet that has NESiCA compatibility. The peripheral uses the network connection on the TX2 or TX3 hardware to connect to a ranking database. The user would take their NESiCA card, scan it when prompted by placing it on top of the NESiCA RFID, and it would pull their player profile. The player profile consists of different items based on the game. Some games just have ranking where as others allow you to win in game credits that allow you to purchase new character colors, costumes, voice actors, etc.

OUSNKiD.jpg

A view of the main board for the reader. It has a couple micro USB connectors that are used to connect it to the the Type X2 board.

F2aGSjV.jpg

A closer look at the bottom of the board.

loXNREg.jpg

This is a view of the internal board. It connects to the bottom board and is the main reader portion of the unit.

gd79wau.jpg

A picture showing both boards connected.

FBytYb9.jpg

The white board you see there is an LED board for the unit. It has the capability of lighting up in a White, Yellow, Green, and Red color. The color it lights up depends on the status it is passing back.

Last edited:
This post will focus on the Fast I/O PCI-E board, I/O JAMMA board, and components.

SAK7skQ.jpg

The card you see installed with the 8P8C female connectors is the Fast I/O PCI Express card that is installed in a TX2. These boards allow you to connect the Fast I/O board to your TX2 hardware so that you may play games that require Fast I/O. The reason there are two ports is due to the fact that there are some games that support more than two Fast I/O boards at a time. The only game to my knowledge to date that does this is Darius Burst.

DWw8WJA.jpg

A close up view of the top side of the Fast I/O PCI-E board.

JrLplvx.jpg

A close up view of the bottom side of the Fast I/O PCI-E board.

vfiut0r.jpg

This is the illustrious Fast I/O (FIO) board. As you can see, it is pretty extravagant compared to most other I/O controller boards that are out on the market. I honestly have no idea why they even bothered to make this. This thing costs like ten times more than what a normal I/O controller goes for.

U3aKfKQ.jpg

A close up view of the top left portion of the FIO board.

o5k1OXP.jpg

A close up view of the top right portion of the FIO board.

jM42cYc.jpg

A close up view of the bottom left portion of the FIO board.

tdC2qaA.jpg

A close up view of the bottom right portion of the FIO board.

zycxjIN.jpg

A look at the under side of the Fast I/O board.

ZubwcFi.jpg

This PCB is very simple. It is used in Sega Lindbergh cabinets to change the pinout of some of the pins on the harness that is installed inside the cabinet. Smart of them to do that, but did they really need to create a PCB for it? They could have just create a small connector. Maybe this was easier to mass manufacture, who knows...

t5mAc8z.jpg

An under side picture of the conversion PCB.

I22ug8W.jpg

Here is a picture of both of the boards connected together with the harness that was provided. Again, the wires on the harness could just as easily have been swapped around...

Last edited:
Amazing stuff. soooo very jelly right now.

@werejag

Looks like Soyandroid uploaded the pic I sent him a few months back of the TX3 dongle. You can view it in his thread regarding Type X3 hardware.

Heres some high res images of a Taito Type X2 model 208A and the internals of a BlazBlue CS dongle.

Most would have seen a TTX2 before but just for reference for others i thought i should upload some.

Motherboard:
xOKwSEe.jpg

2K9D9el.jpg

Video Card:
QaYhO7h.jpg

sq0kbqR.jpg

RS485 to RS232 JVS sub board:
RVSB0iF.jpg

j25utRR.jpg

Dongle:
eGuMW5w.jpg

oacjuvt.jpg

Heres some high res images of a Taito Type X2 model 208A and the internals of a BlazBlue CS dongle.

Most would have seen a TTX2 before but just for reference for others i thought i should upload some.

Motherboard:
xOKwSEe.jpg

2K9D9el.jpg

Video Card:
QaYhO7h.jpg

sq0kbqR.jpg

RS485 to RS232 JVS sub board:
RVSB0iF.jpg

j25utRR.jpg

Dongle:
eGuMW5w.jpg

oacjuvt.jpg
Awesome dude, great stuff!

suggesting this be moved to the TTX section for easy finding

I found this due to the said easy finding. Great pics and thanks for sharing!

Finally got around to taking some pictures of my TAiTO VS KIT P.C.B. Here they are:

4DauOSv.jpg

This is the TAiTO VS Kit PCB. This allowed the operator to link up a NESiCA setup in a head to head setup (two cabinets with 1 player control panels). This allowed setups to have things such as multiple RFID readers connected to a single Type X2 or even split video and audio without any drop in power.

f2lQUWY.jpg

This is a picture of the V1 side of the board. The right VGA connector is where the main video would come from the Type X2 and plug in. The left VGA connector is the first video connector where the signal would get split off and to to the monitor of that cabinet. The middle white connector is for the power connector where the board gets powered from. The green connector is a 3.5mm audio jack. The audio comes from the Type X2 and plugs in to here to get split off. The black connector to the right of the green connector is also a 3.5mm audio jack. This is one of the ports that the audio gets split off to. All the way on the right we have the USB-B connector. You will need to use a USB mini-B to USB-B cable to plug one of your NESiCA RFID readers in to this port.

AUcbpB0.jpg

This is the V2 side of the board. On the left, we have a USB-A connector. You will need to use a USB mini-B to USB-A cable to plug in the second NESiCA RFID in to this port. I do not know why they chose to have a USB-A connector for one and a USB-B connector for the other. Honestly, it makes no sense to me. The black port is a 3.5mm audio jack that is used to split off one of the audio outputs to your player 2 cabinet. On the right is a VGA out for the video to be split to the player 2 cabinet as well. One thing I am curious about is why these have VGA connectors instead of DVI-D connectors. I mean the video card on the Type X2 has DVI-D ports and not VGA ports. They could have easily put DVI-D ports on this and allowed the operator to use an adapter from there...

ilb2AIF.jpg

Close up view of the left side of the board.

4SfTvzx.jpg

Close up view of the right side of the board.

Hope you guys find this helpful.

is the usb/jvs just a straight pass through.

also i think it being usb type a and b will be from before nesica and for an additional jvs io

Back