What's new
All Racing games will use digital input along with the Analog ones, like gear switching, turbo, or events like Jambo Safari.

Most of them will only use AD0 & AD1 and 2 or 3 digital inputs.
They actually use three. AD0 for wheel, AD1 for gas, AD2 for brake.

Racing and analog USB support (including exotic) would be my number one priority :)

"Normal games" would be also very nice of course.

An important and basic question...
What do you guys mostly want this for:
  • consolization/bench for normal games
  • Racing
  • Exotic titles you can't play on your normal cab, i.e. odd controllers etc
  • Hacking/Playing around with JVS
All of them, but in may case for racing/shooting consolized games.

Some Naomi games, like zombie revenge, or Virtua Striker on Triforce support Analog joysticks, so AD0 & AD1 will be used for player 1 and AD2 & AD3 for Player 2.

What kind of details do you need for Racing games?

Best regards.
The goal is to make things as simple as possible (but not simpler:)) - is it realistic to have one racing mode?

I've only got access to crazy taxi right now, which uses lever up/down for forward/reverse gear, not very practical to have those on the d-pad - so those would have to be remapped to a for example X/A. So I guess I need details on which inputs racing games have in addition to wheel/gas/brake.

I think there will at least be 3 modes - but hopefully not more.
  • only one stick connected - both left and right stick active, output to analog 0,1,2,3
  • two sticks connected - only left stick active output to analog 0,1 on player1, and analog 2,3 on player2
  • push left stick for 5 seconds - switch to race mode, race mode uses left and right trigger for brake/gas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_controller#/media/File:360_controller.svg

• Racing
Racing
Consolization
Exotic titles

I'm not enough skilled for hacking :P :D

Exotic titles you can't play on your normal cab.
Yup this is me, I've always wanted a nice arcade racer setup but I don't have the room for another cab.

If I could use a force feedback usb wheel and treat the board like a Supergun in my livingroom. :)

• Racing
My main concern is racing, by far.
Then, exotic titles and playing around with JVS (even if I'm just starting from scratch...).
I'm not in consolization for now.

Analog assignments are a bit of a mess.. Right now I read up to 6 channels pr input device that can be assigned to analog 0-5 (left/right stick, left/right trigger).

Can anyone list any games it would be natural to have TWO physical input devices (except gun games) that does analog?

so far:
  • zombie revenge -2 analog sticks
  • Virtua Striker - 2 analog sticks

Last edited:
Can anyone list any games it would be natural to have TWO physical input devices (except gun games) that does analog
What do you mean by "physical input devices" you mean players or simply games that need more than 4 channels.

There are of course gun games which have 2 players each with 2 analog channels
the virtua striker games support analog sticks which again has 2 players each with 2 analog channels
the baseball games have 2 player with 3 analog channels each (2 for the stick and 1 for the bat control)
driving games have 1 player but with 3 or more analog channels (steering, gas, and brake) some driving games have additional analog controls, for instance Sega rally has an analog ebrake handle. I believe f-zero also has a tilting motion in the steering wheel that would be another analog channel)

flight sim games generally have 1 player with 3 or more analog controls (2 for the flight stick and 1 for the thrust control)

the fishing games usually have 1 player with 3 analog channels, 2x for the reel position and 1 for the reel spin speed.

I can't think of any game off the top of my head that would need more than 6 channels for all players but there are definitely 2 player games that need 3 per player, and 1 player games that need 4 per player.

EDIT: just remembered Namco world kicks (NAOMI) which has 4 players each with 3 analog axis. 2x for the stick and 1x for the ball for a total of 12 analog channels.
worldKicks.jpg

that's kind of an edge case though

EDIT #2:
House of the Dead 4 and Silent Hill arcade both have additional analog channels for the accelerometer to perform the "shake" action in game, I'm unsure if that's just 1 additional channel per gun or if it's actually 3 additional channels per gun for acceleration in all 3 dimensions.

Last edited:
Can anyone list any games it would be natural to have TWO physical input devices (except gun games) that does analog
What do you mean by "physical input devices" you mean players or simply games that need more than 4 channels.
There are of course gun games which have 2 players each with 2 analog channels
the virtua striker games support analog sticks which again has 2 players each with 2 analog channels
the baseball games have 2 player with 3 analog channels each (2 for the stick and 1 for the bat control)
driving games have 1 player but with 3 or more analog channels (steering, gas, and brake) some driving games have additional analog controls, for instance Sega rally has an analog ebrake handle. I believe f-zero also has a tilting motion in the steering wheel that would be another analog channel)

flight sim games generally have 1 player with 3 or more analog controls (2 for the flight stick and 1 for the thrust control)

the fishing games usually have 1 player with 3 analog channels, 2x for the reel position and 1 for the reel spin speed.

I can't think of any game off the top of my head that would need more than 6 channels for all players but there are definitely 2 player games that need 3 per player, and 1 player games that need 4 per player.
Virtua Striker is what I mean - something that would be 2 physical (USB) controllers, one pr player.
Driving games will be one physical controller.
I think the baseball games use a rotary encoder, which is something I will look at in the end - as the only rotary input via usb would be a mouse/trackball. Same with outtrigger.

Say for virtua striker, or zombie revenge - the usb->jvs mapping will depend on how many controllers are connected, and in which order. While for a racing game it's a simple remap within the device.

Sorry if it's complicated, but this is a somewhat complicated issue, which is unfortunately not related to 'arcade tech' at all..

I think the baseball games use a rotary encoder
I don't believe so, at least not for NAOMI. AFAIK none of the baseball games use the rotary encorder I/O and looking at the panels it looks to be a simple pot.
ctbwm651-img600x450-14638334866wwzjz10126.jpg

rotary wouldn't make sense for this anyway... you use rotary encoders when you can have "infinite" travel in one direction, you use analog when you've got physical bounds within which the input can travel.

But not dedicated controls pr layer it seems - so should fit right into the 'single usb device remapping' scheme.

I believe on the Sega JVS I/O boards even though there are 8 analog input channels it still allocates the first 4 for player 1 and the second 4 for player 2.

IIRC games that support 2 players with 2 analog channels each usually use channels 0 and 1 for player 1 and channels 4 and 5 for player 2.

A good question might be if any 1 player games ever use analog channels 4-7

An area where I believe your project goal aligns with mine is trying to figure out many of the JVS driving game controls.

What would be cool is if we could have some kind of control wiki where we identify the controls for a given title, making sure to identify digital inputs at I guess their player # position (P1-button 2, etc) or corresponding pin number on the 60pin digital connector on Sega I/O boards. While most drivers I've booted to align on the analog channels, some have default inverted steering, like Club Kart.

One aspect to keep in mind are that some driving games have oddball dedicated controls that would likely need their own dedicated controller configuration to accommodate.

For example: WMMT has a 6 position shifter that uses 4 digital inputs. No switches hit is neutral. The up/down positions only trigger an up/down input for 3rd and 4th gear. Then you have up/left for 1st, down/left for 2nd, up/right for 5th, and down/right for 6th. On top of that, the shifter has to be kept in position to keep the car in gear. I'm not sure how you would manage that well on a controller in an intuitive manner.

If you forego managing oddball shifters, you could just come up with a list of games that need to be restricted to automatic transmission mode.

An area where I believe your project goal aligns with mine is trying to figure out many of the JVS driving game controls.

What would be cool is if we could have some kind of control wiki where we identify the controls for a given title, making sure to identify digital inputs at I guess their player # position (P1-button 2, etc) or corresponding pin number on the 60pin digital connector on Sega I/O boards. While most drivers I've booted to align on the analog channels, some have default inverted steering, like Club Kart.

One aspect to keep in mind are that some driving games have oddball dedicated controls that would likely need their own dedicated controller configuration to accommodate.

For example: WMMT has a 6 position shifter that uses 4 digital inputs. No switches hit is neutral. The up/down positions only trigger an up/down input for 3rd and 4th gear. Then you have up/left for 1st, down/left for 2nd, up/right for 5th, and down/right for 6th. On top of that, the shifter has to be kept in position to keep the car in gear. I'm not sure how you would manage that well on a controller in an intuitive manner.

If you forego managing oddball shifters, you could just come up with a list of games that need to be restricted to automatic transmission mode.
I found that datasheet on a French forum:
http://www.gamoover.net/redacteur/Iro/JVS_Pinout/JVS_Pinout_Race.xls
(Be patient, it's quite an heavy one).
Couldn't that be a good starting point?

Yeah, it's a bit of a mess..

I will most likely end up with a config file with pr.game settings that can do stuff like reverse the axis etc.

Trying to make a table for this stuff, pm me your email and I'll enable write access to it:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Bazfl_2w5wG69Ihldm0-iYa2jCNiAptJtXZDFdynJDQ

Back