What's new
would be really nice to get support for "Cyber Diver" and "Half Life 2" on the TX2 and "After Burner" on Lindbergh :)

would be really nice to get support for "Cyber Diver" and "Half Life 2" on the TX2
are those games even runnable on a multi X2 right now? last I heard was that while dumps exist, they're not raw drive dumps, and are missing substantial stuff to make them work.

I'm not sure, I always thought that the reason they don't run is because you need a special "unicorn-like" JVS I/O....

are those games even runnable on a multi X2 right now? last I heard was that while dumps exist, they're not raw drive dumps, and are missing substantial stuff to make them work.
I know people who are running the dumps on normal Windows PCs. So if there is anything "incomplete" about them I'd suspect it's due to something Type X hardware specific.

I can't imaging the I/O would need to be all that special, it's just a bunch of analog inputs, i don't think the cab even have any special outputs. Assuming the pedals are analog (which they might not be) that's only 6 analog channels and a normal Sega I/O board has 8 (not sure about normal Taito I/Os). unless maybe the scroll wheel on the right stick need something special ?

Again, just to clarify; this is different than the JVS-Pac in what ways? I know the JVS-Pac only handled digital inputs; so this board will allow for analog as well as to include options for analog steering wheel options (with FFB?) with USB and guns with USB (Aim-Trak?). There is also some programming of controls allowed to ensure Type 3 compatibility. Sorry, just want to clearly understand how it would be used and excited if it has these features.

Again, just to clarify; this is different than the JVS-Pac in what ways? I know the JVS-Pac only handled digital inputs; so this board will allow for analog as well as to include options for analog steering wheel options (with FFB?) with USB and guns with USB (Aim-Trak?). There is also some programming of controls allowed to ensure Type 3 compatibility. Sorry, just want to clearly understand how it would be used and excited if it has these features.
The way I understand it, it's kinda the other way around.
Where a JVS PAC is used for connecting a JVS I/O to a standard PC USB port, this device is for connecting a USB gamepad, steering wheel whatever to a JVS I/O to use with arcade hardware

Yes, it's the other way - something like this:
mini-io-diagram.png

The green stuff is what I'm working on.

Guns etc would be the the top green box, where I suspect most of the messy stuff will live, which is why it will be open source so people can tinker.

if it was all opensourced i can see others putting in the leg work. lets hope we can make this a community project when that happens.

Last edited:
if it was all opensourced i can see others putting in the leg work. lets hope we can make this a community project when that happens.
What about yourself, got anything to contribute?

If you're looking for an open source JVS I/O to contribute to there is https://github.com/charcole/TeensyJVS There are already a few threads on this project in this forum.

I get the impression that Invzim doesn't want to open source his work.
I want people to be able to play with it, but I do not want people to sell cheap alternative boards and use the software I wrote. Binary file that needs a license key of sorts?

ive shared some stuff myself already. im not looking for some kind of neogeo style drama. one developer on a thing burns them out and we never get to a good product that survives past that cycle.

Last edited:
ive shared some stuff myself already. im not looking for some kind of neogeo style drama. one developer on a thing burns them out and we never get to a good product that survives past that cycle.
I don't mean to be a complete jerk here, but this is a product being worked on by invizm...
if anyone knows the details on the JVS protocol and the proper way to make things work, it's him...
Hell, unless I'm mistaken, Capcom themselves have used his products in the past.

Look at the history he's had with the JVSpac, and his contributions to the open-source JVS community this far already.
I'm in complete agreement with how he's proceeding with the project because he's literally doing all the legwork.

If ANYONE wants to change the interfacing between the RPI and the JVS add-on, it's going to be open and able to be simply done by interfacing to the daemon.

In the end, for those people who want FREE, the work he's doing (the PCB is a very simple design, and anyone can simply dump their SD card) can be easily stolen/pirated, but I know where my money's going to be for a quality product with great support.

Clearly Invizm's delivered in the past, and is working on this project and the JVS2JAMMA device, and I know he'll deliver on this.
I for one think we should support the work he's doing, open or closed source, it's still a boon to our hobby and shouldn't good work be repaid?

If you want to work on an open source version, feel free to start your own- people have only been calling for the need for this for......
YEARS, yet no major work outside some basic JVS interfaces for AVR have come out of it.

Maybe in time, when/if invzim is finished he WILL open source everything.

For now this is an active project he is currently developing, thus would like to prevent knockoffs from cutting into his potential sales.
I understand, and I don't see anything wrong with this.

I'm very interested in the future of this project, so I would prefer not to jeopardize its completion by denying the author deserved profit/timed exclusivity.

no im not atatcking him for this. good job invizm hope many more such good products

IMG_0018.JPG

Was able to reuse a quite a bit of code, but still quite a way to go as you can code differently when you have more than the 2048 BYTES of ram the JVS-PAC has + it's the other direction :) Communication seem stable so far.

No idea about price point, maybe 50USD shipped without raspberry or SD card?
Oh my god. I need that in my life! When can I preorder?? I will be able to play games outside a cabinet using regular pads! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regardless if this is open source or not, all I can say is:

f26.jpg

A little update, the shared memory approach works really well and helps in keeping different complexities contained within different software. It works well, I've been playing a little but sadly both my joypads (logitech) misbehave (under linux?).

2016-08-10 raspberry mini io.png

I've ordered parts for a (really) small batch, and sent the PCB files to a PCB manufacturer today - first time I'm doing rounded corners and cutouts (for the USB type connector) some other experiments so hope they turn out ok. Added footprint for a header in case anyone wants to solder header pins and stack something on top (like the shield used with netbooting).
As I had some issues getting my USB wifi dongle to work via a hub on the zero, I got a PI3 (with >1 usb port) only to find out the low-level hardware stuff is different on it, so also got a B+. The software now detects which board you have, and use the appropriate hardware registers.

It would be super-cool to use the blue-tooth on the RPI3 for wireless pads, but unfortunately the blue-tooth on RPI3 uses the 'good' UART on the PI, which is needed for JVS - so I had to remap it back to the GPIO pins.

I'm not doing any pre-orders, lists or the like until I have working boards & software in my hands.

Anyone here got a racing cab that can share some details on which analog channels go to what, which buttons are in use etc?

Anyone here got a racing cab that can share some details on which analog channels go to what, which buttons are in use etc?
AD0-AD3 are for Player 1
AD4-AD7 are for Player 2

In driving games, AD0 is wheel, AD1 is Gas and AD2 is brakes.

In shooting games, it's AD0 for X axis and AD1 for Y axis.

Buttons are normally mapped as joystick buttons.

What else do you need?

Back