What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
Derick2k left this comment in another thread and it felt as though the response was way too off topic and more suited for the introduction forum... so here's a response with a brief history of my involvement with arcades.

Man, just thought about it, your collection of arcade goodies must me incredible.
I have a few interesting pieces but I'd but I'd hardly call it "incredible". I've only actually really been collecting in earnest for the last 3 years.

I'd grown up near the "legendary" FunSpot and always loved arcades. When I was looking for a summer job in college I decided I wanted to learn how arcades worked so I put on a nice professional looking outfit walked into FunSpot asked if they'd hire me as a tech for minimum wage until I learned the ropes and could become a more full-fledged tech ...they told me to get lost. So I went down the street to the boardwalk arcades near the beach with the same offer and they asked me if I had a change of shirt because they wanted me to start that second. From 2001 through 2003 during the summers I worked full time as a tech repairing machines on a boardwalk arcade, I started from zero and learned everything I needed to know about electronics from the head tech who was the dean of Electrical Engineering for Rhode Island tech.

During that time I got a free dedicated Double Dragon, a dedicated Contra and a Make Traxx Cab that had been converted into Ring King as well as some spare monitors and a few other random, uninteresting parts. I gave the Contra to some friends and accidentally cracked the neck board on the Ring King the very first time I took the back panel off. I later bought MK1 MK2 and UMK3 PCBs on eBay and built a new Control Panel for the Double dragon cab so I could play them properly.... I was familiar with KLOV (the database before they had a forum) and the old RGVAC news group but I never signed up for any of them. The cabs were all free since they were slated for the dump so my only real investment were the MK PCBs, some buttons/sticks for the new CP and some hardware bits. As a poor college student I was pretty happy with it though and MK PCBs were about 1/4th the price then that they are now.

That's all I had for arcade stuff until around 2013 The Ring King sat in a dusty corner never fixed and the Double Dragon/UMK3 cab would get turned on for parties but otherwise remained unused. I'd been out of college and working a good job for a number of years when I decided to buy a KI2 cab since that was my all time favorite arcade game and I really wanted something bigger and nicer than the UMK3 in a DD cab. Then less than a year later I bought Virtual On, then a DDR and so on. I've since sold the Double Dragon cab (after converting it back to double dragon) as well as the (still broken) Ring King cab.

Before buying KI2 I was big into collecting Limited Edition console game, I've since nearly stopped buying those to fund the arcade habit but you can watch this video walk through I made of my "Game Room" just a few months before I picked up KI2

As for what I have for machines currently...
Killer Instinct 2 (Dedicated)
ki2_t-molding.jpg

I bought on eBay as a completely trashed and gutted cab that had been converted to Turkey Hunter USA. I had it shipped and completely overpaid. I think the PCB I bought from Mitsurugi-W before I knew who he was :) The machine is completely done and it came out quite lovely. Since the pic above I've found a cover for the bill acceptor slot and sourced proper CP artwork (that's a story in and of itself)
Build thread on KLOV: http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=267561

Cyber Troopers Virtual On Oratorio Tangram v4.2 (Twin Unit)
13129440_498939930316762_1208830126_n.jpg

I came across an original OMG Twin-Unit on eBay and thought "how cool would it be to own THAT" then noticed it was being sold from a local resort hotel. They wanted to change out some games in their game room and were eager to get rid of it so I made a deal off-line and they were nice enough to load and deliver half the machine (while me and friend loaded and drove the other half). The game was originally on a board walk arcade in Old Orchard Beach Maine and covered in rust and filled with sand. I stripped it and rebuilt it getting most of the metal sand blasted and powder coated, replacing nearly all of the nuts bolts and washers and replacing all of the rubber flooring as well as polishing all of the unpainted metal parts. I eventually sourced Model 3 VOOT PCBs from Japan and converted the power supplies to JVS and rewired for easy swapping between Model 2 and Model 3. I still need to convert all of the artwork and modify the Japanese control panels to work on a USA machine. I also need to cap-kit the monitors and build new sub-woofers since the originals are junk :-/ If anyone comes across VOOT marquees Please let me know, it's the last piece I need to complete this.
Restoration/Conversion thread on KLOV: http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=268523

Fix it Felix Jr Replica/MAME cab
10617164_732098863510345_1863561668_n.jpg

A friend of mine bought an original Donkey Kong machine at a state auction for $50, it played DK Jr and sat in his garage for years and stopped working one day. He wanted me to help him convert it to a light gun-shooter. I wanted to build a Fix it Felix so I convinced him to sell it to me for $100 and I would help him find a more appropriate machine for light gun games (He now owns a really nice dedicated Area 51 that I found him). The DK cab had PCBs for both DK and DK Jr but I never could get either one of them running again (though I honestly didn't try very hard) I Build a cheap PC for GroovyMAME with a Hyperspin front end running a custom vertical theme and then loaded it up with Fix it Felix and any MAME game that worked with a vertical monitor and 2 buttons. I need to recap this monitor and restore the chipping/gouges on the cab sides so I can actually apply cab art. I'm also considering trying to swap in a 25in K7000 monitor. (since the pic above it's received all new t-molding)
Incomplete Build thread on BYOAC: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143048.0.html

Last edited:
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (in an MK2 cab)
11374458_456212667895410_198480337_n.jpg

I didn't actually intend to own this machine, I had bought a set of 3 San Fran Rush the Rock machines from a pinball collector in CT. he offered me this machine for another $100 on top of the original deal. I was renting a Uhaul truck to pick up the rush machines anyway so it was a no-brainer. The Rush cabs were complete and worked but ended up being really REALLY shitty with substantial water damage to at least two of them. I tooled around with them for a bit but ended up just re-selling them. I was planning on cleaning up and reselling the UMK3 cab. I had a pair of brand new Happ competitions sitting around so I bought a set of all new buttons, disassembled cleaned and rebuilt the control panel with all new hardware. The monitor had this issue where it would lose sync and then fix itself if you whacked the side of the cab, I installed a cap kit and a flyback, and reflowed the solder joints on all the connectors assuming that was the issue. The picture was gorgeous but the sync issue remained. It took me a while but I eventually tracked it down to a cracked pot on the remote board.

As a huge MK fan when MKX came out I threw a release party and thought it would be cool if I brought the UMK3 machine into the game room from the garage. Since then it's grown on me and now I'm thinking more about sourcing an original MK3 metal Panel and proper artwork to make a legit looking UMK3 companion for my KI2 cab.
No build thread for this one...

Kraylix V3/MAME
11189806_1381729225489992_393616001_n.jpg

I had the Fix it Felix cab which covered most vertical games and I started building an ultimate "hyperspin" setup that covered nearly every emulatable console, as well as MAME, Model 2 and 3 emulators Demul for NAOMI and Taito Type X dumps as well as a few PC games (like MK9). My original plan was to install it in the KI2 cabinet with a JAMMA switch but that fell apart when I realized I hadn't done my homework on interfacing a PC with a 15K monitor. To be fair I did research I just didn't research enough into the specifics of my setup so I decided I would look into a proper LCD cab. I wanted a Vewlix and at the time they were still $2500 before importation. I started planning out building my own clone when I saw a Kraylix cab pop up for sale on eBay about an hours drive away from me. I made a deal offline and basically picked up the cab for half of what it would have cost to buy and ship a fully assembled/painted one. The deal didn't include the monitor or any of the hardware. I bought a Samsung monitor and had to design and built my own VESA mount for it since the V3's were designed to work with an older specific Philips monitor that didn't have those. I bought all new buttons and sticks, speakers, speaker amp, coin door, locks and then wired the whole cab from scratch and de-cased my PC and mounted all of the components to a piece of fitted MDF. The artwork that's in the cab is what came with it. It's Mortal Kombat themed and pretty crappy. I had someone print up proper original Kraylix art but the print quality ended up being pretty shitty so I never installed it. There's a lot of work I still want to do to this machine, though ideally I'd like to pick up a CRT candy cab and build another PC for that and then make this cab dedicated to just LCD games.
No build thread for this one anywhere, though I do have a few in-process pics on my

Dance Dance Revolution (Japanese 1st Mix)
12093414_1652280834989377_1344996006_n.jpg
Bought this on eBay in non-working condition cheap, Paid more to have it shipped to me from Michigan than the price of the machine, then spent another $800 on parts to fix it up. The original Kortek monitor had been replaced with a Neo-Tech that was failing and very poorly installed since the mounting ears didn't come close to lining up and all the video wiring had been hacked to shit. I Managed to find a brand new Makvision Tri-sync monitor locally for $100 (some poor high school kid bought it to build a MAME cab and his parents sold it out from under him as punishment for something) repaired all of the wiring, rebuilt the entire dance platform with all new sensors all new nuts bolts washers and spacers all new sensor brackets and even all new arrow plastics. Completely disassembled the dance platform cleaned and rebuilt with mirror polishing of all of the unpainted metal parts. I also rebuilt the subwoofer enclosures and installed new sub-woofers and rebuilt and reinforced the marquee box and converted the marquee from florescent to dim-able LED lighting. I also managed to source a super-rare original 1st Mix Marquee from Japan. I do have the original System 573 PCB running DDR Extreme (the highest version available for this hardware) but built a PC to run Open In the Groove and it's setup with several thousand pop/top 40 songs. Though I can swap to a database with the complete list official DDR tracks and custom step charts that totals over 10,000 tracks :S
On this machine the PC sits outside the cab but I'd like to mount it to a piece of MDF inside the cab like an original PCB I'd also like to migrate to Step Mania 5 and set it up with a more party friendly theme. I also want to try sourcing scans for the DDR 1st Mix pop-art so I can print replicas but those things are impossible to find.
The closest thing I have to a build thread is my lighting output interface thread here: Dance Dance Revolution Extreme Simulation (Stepmania) with working lights.

The Typing of the Dead (Dedicated Net City Upright)
12144043_133033910386698_807524581_n.jpg

I've loved Typing of the Dead ever since I played the Dreamcast version back in college, obtaining an imported Japanese arcade version seemed like a near impossibility until an acquaintance of mine on KLOV who knew I wanted one mentioned to me that a guy named "KC" had a Lupin the Typing in his warehouse in California. I bought it and had it shipped and to my delight it was originally a Typing of the Dead and simply had the artwork covered over by Lupin the Typing. I uncovered all of the original art, disassembled and cleaned the whole machine and stripped/repainted the control panel and keyboard brackets. Currently it's got a Dreamcast running the English language version. Hopefully one day we'll get the NAOMI conversion 100% and I can put the original NAOMI hardware back in it. It still needs some cosmetic work done, I need to retrobrite the yellowed front plastics. I also need to source original "side art" for the pillars as well as the the zombie keyboard topper that goes above the marquee. I wouldn't mind scanning and translating the instruction graphic but that's a fairly low priority.
Restoration/De-conversion thread on KLOV: http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=345961

Currently I'm working to convert my home theater projector into a room-sized light-gun cab and I'm also looking to get a Taito Egret 29 as well a Pinball and a couple of Sega Driving cabinets.

So yeah that's a "brief" history of me and arcade machines.

Last edited:
nice collection of things your have there. and oh what a sexy voice you have ;)

I believe a trend is going to start. We are all going to introduce/re-introduce ourselves to give everyone some insight as to where we all came from.

Yup, some nice arcade goodies. :D

And that KI2 cab, very very nice.

I believe a trend is going to start. We are all going to introduce/re-introduce ourselves to give everyone some insight as to where we all came from.
so true !!!
amazing stuff, man that K2 arcade looks so sexy!!!!

I'm tempted to get one....I need more gundam figures though.
Great story of determination, IDK if I would have handled the FunSpot rejection as well.

BTW I've got that same IKEA display in my game room. ;)
IMG_20160804_172753.jpg

I'm tempted to get one....I need more gundam figures though.
They're quite nice. We actually have 4 of them, 2 in the game room and 2 more in my wife's reading room. though I kinda want to get rid of the two in the game room because that would let me fit a whole additional arcade machine.

Back