What's new
I have had several AW american cabinets setup for guns, and dont EVER remember 2 coin counters in any of them.

I can tell you, that I have found some interesting stuff with Ghost Squad and the i/o - the smaller cabinet uses only one coin switch line, and ties both mechs to it. The larger cabinet used two separate coin switch lines as it separated left and right player. I tried wiring up a 2nd switch line, in the smaller cabinet, and it came up with a coin error till I undid the work.

The I/O knows what it should be expecting, or the I/O is being told by the game and the system. I would check your cabinet, and see if the coin switches are tied common, or separate....and if so try the opposite, and see if that doesn't fix it.

Other way I have seen coin error on atomiswave , is if a coinswitch is held down, it will eventually register out as a coin error and reboot the atomiswave (seen this first hand on Extreme Hunting 2 while testing a bad coin switch)

I sincerely hope any of this helps as you test.
I have a Sega gun testing rig at the shop, using confidential mission...and i would switch it to run a pi and the AW games...but if I got busted messing with our test fixtures for my personal work...well...it would not be pretty. If I can sneak a shot at it in late one night, or on the weekend, I will try.

happ 45's work fine on atomiswave gun i/o's, but to my knowledge, the naomi gun i/o would have no idea what to do with them.
most Naomi gun games work on Infrared instead of the light sensing optos in the .45's. Therefore they need the gun I/o from sega, and the ir sensor array to work.

The exception to that is Ninja Assault, which runs a namco gun i/o, and uses standard namco light sensing guns....that may be the best option for testing atomiswave games, as you could definitely replace the namco guns with happs...but I don't know if the atomiswave games would even recognize it.

I do have two Ninja assault setups though, so that may just be worth a shot, once the hollidays wind down, and I can get my sanity back.

Hey ! dont know if you need some other feedback, finaly got some time to put my Naomi Confidential Mission up and running, and testing all i can find with Naomi 1 and 2 mother boards. (can burn any bios if needed)

-Confidential Mission, Maze of the Kings, Lupin, Death Crimson ox: working fine.

-Clay Challenge: coin error, pretty sure it worked somewhow, need to test it further...

-Sports Usa: calibration menu doesn't work properly, when I press trigger to start calibration, it shoots at the same time the 1st target, but even if I aim first target before pressing trigger to start the calibration, it seems that it sets wrong values, so calibration is never good (P2 almost don't move).

-Gun Survivor 2: seems to need analog guns, unplayable.
-House of the dead 2: very slow, unplayable.
-Need to test others...

Last edited:
Which BIOS do you have and which Naomi are you playing it in?

Thanks for feedback.

Conversions don't work well on multi eproms. Can you try regular eprom. Latest oficial version please.

Tried 21576H with Naomi 1 and 23605C with Naomi 2, nothing better with those (even with Jap region setting).

I tried a few things, and could get into Clay Challenge game menu, and the calibration is good in this one, now have to figure out how to get rid of this coin error...

I tried these 2 games on my Naomi 1 in my Ghost Squad cabinet and it didn't work, Sports Shooting didn't see the gun inputs and Clay Shooting would not boot. All other naomi gun games work find including the HOTD2.

Attachments

• gsquad.jpg
    gsquad.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 228
Hey ! dont know if you need some other feedback, finaly got some time to put my Naomi Confidential Mission up and running, and testing all i can find with Naomi 1 and 2 mother boards. (can burn any bios if needed)

-Confidential Mission, Maze of the Kings, Lupin, Death Crimson ox: working fine.

-Clay Challenge: coin error, pretty sure it worked somewhow, need to test it further...

-Sports Usa: calibration menu doesn't work properly, when I press trigger to start calibration, it shoots at the same time the 1st target, but even if I aim first target before pressing trigger to start the calibration, it seems that it sets wrong values, so calibration is never good (P2 almost don't move).

-Gun Survivor 2: seems to need analog guns, unplayable.
-House of the dead 2: very slow, unplayable.
-Need to test others...
Gun survivor 2 uses 4-axis analog guns as it's more like a first person shooter than a light gun game. It's the only arcade gun I have ever seen with that design. In addition to the two regular X Y pots, it has two linear potentiometers (sliders). You push the gun forward to walk forward and sideways to side-step. kinda like how you use two analog thumb-sticks to play FPS games on consoles.

You could probably play it with any regular positional gun plus an analog joystick for movement. I assume the 3rd and 4th axis pots connect to where you'd normally connect the player 2 X Y wipers to (unless it used a custom I/O).

I really want one of those Gun Survivor 2 guns to play FPS games. I think it's an awesome idea. There has been one for sale on eBay for a while but the guys is asking silly money considering it's listed as "untested". I bought some linear pots to make a diy version at some point instead.

It's the only arcade gun I have ever seen with that design
its not really unique, basically it is same rotary-stick as was used in number of 198x shooters (Midnight Resistance, Ikari Warriors, Jackal, etc) but, this time it is an analogue stick.

It's the only arcade gun I have ever seen with that design
its not really unique, basically it is same rotary-stick as was used in number of 198x shooters (Midnight Resistance, Ikari Warriors, Jackal, etc) but, this time it is an analogue stick.
It's nothing like those old rotary sticks aside from them both being joysticks on some level. The Gun Survivor 2 gun uses linear potentiometers which is the key part. It allows you to walk backwards while side-stepping without tilting the gun. You could walk back and left while aiming up and right.

There are plenty of 3 axis analog joysticks with rotary motion but the GS2 gun is the only one I know of with 2 axis linear motion plus 2 rotary axis on one stick. It's what allows you to play an FPS game with one hand.

It allows you to walk backwards while side-stepping without tilting the gun. You could walk back and left while aiming up and right.
and that's exactly how works controls in mentioned earlier older games ;)
Gunsurvivor2 uses basically same rotary-stick thing, but analogue and have UZI toy put on top of stick.

No it isn't. The Ikari Warriors one is a regular joystick with a rotary axis on top. It doesn't have 4 axis or any kind of linear motion. You could never use one to play FPS games one-handed, even if they were analog, which they are not. See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkNdjM_O9BA

The GS2 gun is like a regular 2 axis positional arcade gun on top of an X Y linear motion slide table. You can push the whole gun forwards and sideways and tilt it forward to aim up and down and rotate it, to aim left and right.

This guy demos it in this vid. Jump to 1.30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vy95RUucGY

As I said, there are plenty of 3 axis joysticks but I know of no other with 4 axis on one stick, or with both linear and rotary potentiometers.

and tilt it forward to aim up and down
no, you can not do this - there is no such feature.

I know of no other with 4 axis on one stick
read game service manual, where is detailed drawing of gun - you'll see there is only 3 (three) potentiometers.
you may also look at game service mode I/O test - there is only 3 gun axis: pitch (move forward-backward), roll (move left-right), yaw (rotate left-right).

no 4th axis, at all, and out of curiosity - what makes you think this gun have one ?

Back