What's new
Obviously I don't know anything technical about all this but at the $400ish price point, it would be very reasonable. I think the carts for Marvel Capcom 2 and Zero Gunner 2 together would cost about that much.
I need to buy more Naomi boards to host a cvs2 and mvc2 Tournaments. If that happens, I could run 3 tournaments in a year if I don't crash and explode in a nuclear fire.

We must bring Arcade fight tournaments back to the glory days.

@Darksoft - Hell yes bro! Please give us a naomi multi! I have to agree that the naomi system is a fickle beast and adding the power resources and dialing in the voltages to make sure the netboot + cfcard is just a pain. Not to mention having to actually load the game takes forever and is almost long enough for my desire to play that game to disappear. ( i know, first world problems!) but still!

My cps2 multi and cps3 multi get far more play because i can just turn them on and get going (granted cps3 still needs to load, but that that just once) instead of everytime with for netdimm naomi.

Naomi + Capcom i/o + Multicart = naomi heaven!

LEt me know i can throw down a deposit for this!

Do not bother da man until he is done with the NEOGEO Multy.. :thumbsup: .. NEOGEO Multy is priority ALL and nothing else

Someday my whole arcade setup will all wield the power of Darksoft...it'll be awesome. I support the Naomi multicart.

guys, do you realize DIMM board is actually 'RAM-cart' ?
but you saying 'we didn't like it and want same thing but made by someone else', which looks odd.

also, you already have NAOMI flash-carts, it is Melty Blood Actress Again, Radirgy Noa, Dynamite Deka and others who uses Xilinx Spartan FPGA-based 'M4' type cartridges. they all Flash-ROM based and can be reprogrammed to some other game(s).
that's how someone (Joerg?) made that GD-to-cart conversions like Ikaruga

Well it's not actually the same, Netdimms are ok in functionality, but it's power requirement are out of any logic. We are talking about a Dreamcast here, it makes no sense that you need to use funky power supplies to power this thing.

But I agree that an easily flashed flash based solution is even more convenient.

Last edited:
Right my main concern with DIMM's has always been power requirements, secondly the loading time involved.

guys, do you realize DIMM board is actually 'RAM-cart' ?
but you saying 'we didn't like it and want same thing but made by someone else', which looks odd.

also, you already have NAOMI flash-carts, it is Melty Blood Actress Again, Radirgy Noa, Dynamite Deka and others who uses Xilinx Spartan FPGA-based 'M4' type cartridges. they all Flash-ROM based and can be reprogrammed to some other game(s).
that's how someone (Joerg?) made that GD-to-cart conversions like Ikaruga
This thread got hijacked somewhat with dreams of a Naomi multi cart. That is probably two years away. For now, how do we figure out how to convert those NAOMI carts that we never play into GDROM games we will play. Personally, I want CvS2. That's it. How does this "Joerg" do it? Where can we get this info?

For now, how do we figure out how to convert those NAOMI carts that we never play into GDROM games we will play. Personally, I want CvS2.
Same... Infact I'd pitch in some Paypal funds to get a small run of conversion carts made.

I traded emails in the past with Joerg and he does not do CvS2 or SF3 upper.. There are about five games that I want from the GDRom so I reached out to him to convert each of them into a separate cart.. he only does a handful and mainly the shmups games. I did not like his approach on needing a special bios to run his conversions.. the only game that did not need his special bios was IKAURGA.. that game can run from a normal naomi..

This was my want list..

Border Down - (looking for this one as GD-ROM)
Ikaruga - (At some point will get the boot cart since it does not need spacial bios)
Under Defeat (looking for this one as GD-ROM)
Capcom Vs. SNK 2 : Millionaire Fighting 2001 ( this one I purchased GD-ROM not long ago)
Street Fighter 3 upper ( this one I purchased GD-ROM not long ago)
Shikigami No Shiro II / The Castle of Shikigami II ( this one I purchased GD-ROM not long ago)

"Right now i can only sell IKA + BORDER DOWN + UD" Joerg

So he isn't sharing the info how to achieve this then? If so, we can just close up this thread and start a separate one for a NAOMI multi cart.

As far as I know "his" BIOS is not HIS. It's the multi bios from p1pkin which you can get for free "everywhere".

I've already got the multi BIOS installed, I just need the "magic" cart.
But if he won't/can't do CvS2 then I have no use for his services.

You already have NAOMI flash-carts, it is Melty Blood Actress Again, Radirgy Noa, Dynamite Deka and others who uses Xilinx Spartan FPGA-based 'M4' type cartridges. they all Flash-ROM based and can be reprogrammed to some other game(s).
So what are the "magic carts you need to buy that are re-programmable - Get one of those and work out how to reprogram it and you're a good chunk of the way there as Sega have effectively built the flash cart for you....

I don't think Joerg has shared anything in his entire life. lol.

I've already got the multi BIOS installed, I just need the "magic" cart.
But if he won't/can't do CvS2 then I have no use for his services.
Agreed. No CvS2 on cart, then this isn't worth the effort to pursue and will wait for whenever/if ever Darksoft produces a Naomi multi. CF and NetBooting is fine, for now.

My only requirements for any potential NAOMI multicart are:
  1. The power draw is the same as an actual cart
    1. Allowing for power through JAMMA edge w/Capcom I/O (we can sell our Sun PSU's, yah!)
  2. No special bios required to run the cart
    1. This is likely going to mean there is no OSD menu
    2. Fine with no OSD, just keep remote board cable DIY-able or ship with a 3ft-5ft cable

maybe we can figure out how its done by ruling out how it can't?

So what is the security on the Naomi? is it the shape of the cart like a old nintendo cart? Or dose the Naomi have to read the Rom IC for a manufacturer code before loading the Rom?

- Can you write to each 44pin Rom IC individually. Then solder to a donor board?

- would a very "brute force" solution be? -aka...a lot of soldering....

Is it possible to turn a Net Dimm into a 44 pin Rom IC writer? Then solder the Rom ICs to a donor cart?

solder 44 pic IC interchangeable sockets to the Rom set solder pads on the Net Dimm. Then make brake out cables from the Net Dimm to the Naomi.

So it all function as a regular Net Dimm but you can switch out the Rom ICs to be soldered to a donor cart....may be...no?

Totally get it would be a huge mess of wires and soldering to have a functioning setup with the net dimm separated form the MB and accuses to both side of the Net Dimm. Just thinking if this is "theoretically possible".

pulled out few carts for the sake of conversation. left to right: Gunspike, MVC2, DOA2 ME
gEERc1q.jpg
I2JJAkc.jpg
gMxmYkS.jpg

Last edited:
So what is the security on the Naomi?
look at MAME sources, there several types of it (3), all documented

is it the shape of the cart like a old nintendo cart? Or dose the Naomi have to read the Rom IC for a manufacturer code before loading the Rom?
no, not that stupid :)
there is custom ICs wich does data decryption and decompression, so usually games upload some secured data into RAM (cartridges have special RAM for this), then read data decrypted/unpacked by security IC.

- Can you write to each 44pin Rom IC individually.
you cant write anything seen on your photo, there is Mask ROMs only

I feel like it would be quite the feat to make a multi cart that could run with the limited power draw. It would be awesome to see, by all means, but it just seems unrealistic just in my opinion.

I think time could be better spend in the short term in a couple areas; easy drop-in replacement for DIMM batteries, and looking into the supposed mod for a capcom IO to provide enough 3.3v to eliminate the need for an extra PSU. I've never bothered doing my dimm batteries because of the procedure involved.

Back