What's new
maybe it's protected.

i remember when netbooting all started,
some games did checks on the cart hardware that needed patches to fix.

btw, how to make a cartridge from a cartridge?
zombie revenge to be exact.

use the netboot conversion as the base??

The fact that my Naomi freezes when CF booting, and that people same problem I have on the cart with legit carts makes me thing it's something else but I don't know. Not sure if it's one of those picky games or what. I've already tried H export bios, and G JP bios, just to see if my multibios was the problem.

What kind of JVS IO do you have ?
I have pretty much all of the main ones, Capcom, Sega (with PSU), Sega Type 2 (the non-Jamma one), Taito. Of course I don't have any analog harness wired up to them. Since I do not own a driving cab. Would that cause the freezing? It seems like Crazy Taxi boots without i/o so I didn't think it would matter.

I vaguely remember some issues with Crazy Taxi back in the day.

Can anyone confirm that they have a working netboot version of this game ?

The version I tested was CRC32: 0x8089c476 and that does not work.

alright if cf/netbooting freezing is normal than maybe my naomi is fine, but then I need to figure out what causes my cart conversion to not load.

Can anyone confirm that they have a working netboot version of this game ?
I have a working netboot version of this game.

It's actually the most forgiving in terms of IO requirements. IIRC it's the only driving game that booted with every IO I had at my disposal.. and one of the few games that will even boot without any IO installed at all.

perhaps CT doesnt like Capcom IO ?
I Tested the net-boot version working with Capcom IO: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...k0Vkt2VYgUQ4K_61LXv6UA/edit?ts=56dc5b76#gid=0

I'm not sure if it matters, but @rtw pointed out to me a few weeks ago that the Capcom IO actually came in two versions.
A v1 and a v2, so it seems the v1 has problems working with the Taito X2.
Could v1 also have issues with CT, where the v2 has not?

I have a working netboot version of this game.
It's actually the most forgiving in terms of IO requirements. IIRC it's the only driving game that booted with every IO I had at my disposal.. and one of the few games that will even boot without any IO installed at all.
Can you tell us the CRC32 of your game and maybe ... cough cough share a backup ? :D

it doesn't matter what I/O I use, I have em all, it's something else. It could be the donor cart I used, it could be my naomi. Since my naomi freezes on cf boot.

Hmm, maybe I'll try pulling IC22 from that netboot bin and compare it to the mame dump

I had asked Darksoft to look at this because I was trying to fix a Crazy Taxi at an arcade by replacing the broken GD Rom drive with a CF kit. It always freezes shortly after booting but if I recall correctly it worked fine if netbooted. I may be wrong about that. I never got it fixed before I moved. :(

Ah, that's the same thing that happened on my naomi with cf booting. I'm also making this Craxy Taxi cart for an arcade to repair their machine, hoping that it would just work. But I just can't seem to get it to load.

Okay, I seperated the netboot Crazy Taxi.bin and compared the IC22 with the Mame one and there were differences!

Programmed it, put it in my cart and now it loads and seems to work just fine. Thanks for the help!

Thanks Twistedsymphony and rtw for basically leading me down this path.

The bin I used was from here for reference, it's basically a mirror of the neoarcadia stuff (not sure if I'm allowed to post it here?)

Last edited:
@pzlate not a huge surprise :)
for the record - most of cartridge games for NAOMI is protected, using game specific encryption-compression chips. obviously, original games will not work if was programmed to some another rom board, or game will work with "funny" effects like slowing down within time, or have drunk camera, etc. depends on each game protection implementation.

so, you have to use game binaries where cracked protection, for some strange reason people call these cracks "converted for netboot".

Hopefully someone will be able to fix the CF boot version at some point. :)

Back