What's new

jugu

Professional
Reaction score
I picked up a System 256. When I power it up, connected to my Vewlix, I get no picture, and no startup beeps. I am also unable to open the DVD tray or see any lights. However, I know the DVD drive works, as it is fully functional when inserted and powered up on a regular PC. I have my dips as so:
https://app.box.com/s/12vf85pj5nfd5tdxtmgwcy7pmuj4ebtu (#1 off, #2-4 on)
Which I took from this site:
http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Namco_system_256

Are my dip settings correct? What is the expected behavior when no game and or dongle is inserted? The system is getting power, the red led is lit and I've verified 12v and 5v are dialed in.

Any idea?

Thank you in advance.

is it an original dvd drive or a user replaced drive?

When no game or dongle is connected you should at least hear a few dings and then the duck quack sound repeating. You will get no video output at all. DIP settings do not matter until well into the boot process.

You will not get any other indicators unless a good dongle is inserted and the boot process has reached the disc load part of the cycle- the DVD drive locks closed on boot as long as the ATA cable is attached.

There is a small LED that is visible between the two dongle slots on the front of the system that may show some life (offhand I can't recall without a 256 in front of me- I'm at work)

The only worthwhile test of a 246/256 really is with a known good game dongle.

I am more than happy to look at the system if you cover shipping both ways (you can leave the drive out to cut down on shipping costs), and/or sell you a cheap game for testing. Likely other closer members may be able to help too.

Swtich #4 being on would have the system set to Composite Sync, if you monitor needs Separate Sync you will need to turn that switch off.

Also make sure your audio amp is getting power as the audio from 246/256 is unamplified so if you do not have a amp hooked up that could also cause you to hear nothing.

good point there gamemaster14.. I always test these pcb's using headphones so I don't think much about the in-cab issues for sound.
Switch 4 only matters IF you're in 15k. in 31k, the system only outputs separate, but with no game, it won't output anything until the FPGA is initialized to disable the video and sync muting.

are the LEDs on? did this PCB ever work?
Yes, the LEDs are on. I was told it was working fine before being shipped out. The only issue physically that I found was that the system fan was dead. I'm replacing that tonight and I'll try with a dongle inserted tonight when I get home. The DVD drive looks original to me, I can post pics tonight. I'll also check my audio connections as I didn't hear a peep or a quack from the unit.

Thank you Defor, if I can't get it working with a dongle inserted I'll shoot you a PM and get started on a repair of some sort.

Thank you guys for your help.

Quick update, the system works! With a dongle inserted for Capcom Fighting Jam, I was able to power up, open the disc tray, and load the disc. I was able to play a couple of rounds.

Thank you guys for the help!

awesome!
just make sure to set the jumper (inside the right side of the system) to "246+" mode if you're running CFJ.. the game will run too fast otherwise.

awesome!
just make sure to set the jumper (inside the right side of the system) to "246+" mode if you're running CFJ.. the game will run too fast otherwise.
Thank you for the tip! I guess I'll have to keep it there when playing any System 246 game? The only other game I have is Sengoku Basara X.

Hi, did you get Basara X Cross working?
I have a similar issue. I’ve got a System 256, Capcom Fighting Jam works but SBX Cross doesn’t - black screen and no sound. I just bought it and was told it was working.
Do you have to put it into 246+ mode to work?
Thanks

Sengoku Basara X is a 246 game so if its compatible, I would imagine your 256 would need to be in 246+ mode in order for it to work, I dont have any personally experience with the game because unfortunately I dont own it.

I got it to work, I needed to put the 256 in 246+ mode :)

Back