What's new

Eurotimmy

Student
Reaction score
I recently decided (I woke up about 3am one night) that I didn't like the thought of the very old rechargeable battery soldered, from factory, to my Hyper 64. I figure one day it'll leak.

Across the multimeter in the past weeks it reads between 2.2v and 2.6v... so, time for it to go.

First thought was to find a thread on how to disable the charge circuit, then I'd add a battery holder and the standard CR2032.

I didn't find any info on deactivating the charge circuit so I added the battery holder and instead I have put a 3V MAXELL ML2032.
(I got 2 of them for £5 on eBay)

I have attached the old battery and the new battery images for reference.
Hopefully the charge circuit is correct for the ML2032.

Thought I'd share this for any comment (or criticism) but mainly for anybody else who might contemplate this in future to find the thread.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 828
Nice! I will need to do the same. Why holder did you use?

Would be nice to know how to deactivate the recharge circuit thought.

I am revisiting this as I'm contemplating updating the battery holder and battery to ML2430 (or another 2430 equivalent).
In my initial post the original battery is the Toshiba IVR2430 and I replaced it with the Maxell ML2032.

Possible candidate ML2430 spec sheet

ModelCapacity
(mAh)
Physical Size

diameter (mm) x height (mm)
Note
ML20204520 x 2I figure this is a backward step as it's less capacity
ML20326520 x 3.2This is what I went with initially

Dreamcast users sometimes use ML2032 in place of an original ML2430
ML243010024.5 x 3.0Equivalent capacity to original but will require a new holder

Note: when I did this mod to ML2032 it caused no issues however I only ran it like this for a few (~3) months... it didn't get a long-term workout and I didn't monitor the battery levels to see if the charging / discharging was optimal.

I need to mod a couple more boards now, have others updated theirs?

Last edited:
Looking through this thread as I am thinking of doing the same? Wondering if it would be safe to replace the current battery with an ml2032. The stock battery levels are low and its time to replace.

post a better picture of the battery and the area above it, and the other side of the pcb and i'll work the charge circuit out

Reactions: nem
lithium-thionyl chloride and other lithium rechargeables dont have much capacity,
they never kept the clock running long in the dreamcast.

Back