What's new

Omni11

Student
Reaction score
I have this game partially working in my InitialD cabinet.
It's behaving strangely. It boots into the calibration/service menu. Using the service switch to exit causes it to reload the service menu. Holding in the start button to exit will exit to the atomiswave screen then back to the service menu. If I hold in the service switch in the atomiswave screen, it will load the game's car racing intro, then go to a black screen. Not able to freeplay start or coin up.
Tested with 2 mobos, a multi bios and the only other I have which is an old B version bios.

Added a video example:

Any ideas?

I have this game partially working in my InitialD cabinet.
It's behaving strangely. It boots into the calibration/service menu. Using the service switch to exit causes it to reload the service menu. Holding in the start button to exit will exit to the atomiswave screen then back to the service menu. If I hold in the service switch in the atomiswave screen, it will load the game's car racing intro, then go to a black screen. Not able to freeplay start or coin up.
Tested with 2 mobos, a multi bios and the only other I have which is an old B version bios.

Added a video example:

Any ideas?
That loos crazy. It must be the multi bios.

That loos crazy. It must be the multi bios.
Only other bios I have is an export B. Multi and B bios do the same thing. Tested in 2 Naomi 2 motherboards.
I'm going to open up my Crackin' DJ machine tonight and try out a regular Naomi motherboard.

that JVS IO you use ?
yep, sega jvs IO
DSC_0292.JPG

It's behaving strangely. It boots into the calibration/service menu. Using the service switch to exit causes it to reload the service menu.
I had the exact same problem with Lupin the shooting, it was an I/O, region, and cab configuration issue. if I was using anything other than a Type 1 I/O with the coin meters spoofed, set to japanese region and cab type set to horizontal and 2 player it would do the behavior you described (going back to service menu).

I would make sure you coin meters are spoofed, maybe try a different I/O board if you have one. try both regions and make sure your cab config is set to 1 player. failing that maybe try terminating all of the unused analog inputs to ground so they have a solid reference point instead of floating.

it could just have problems with NAOMI 2... I've noticed a number of people having problems running NAOMI 1 games on NAOMI 2 hardware.

for all the blame that gets thrown at the multi-bios have we actually confirmed that to be the problem with any of these games?

I own the actual cab/game, faster than speed is pretty terrible. I'd suggest getting Maximum Speed to run instead its a much better game.
index.php

I haven't taken the time to boot this up yet, but I have a Naomi 2 that I'll be using. If I get a chance today, I'll see if I get similar behavior.

One thing that comes to mind is proper voltage settings. I have crazy issues with Chihiro all the time and have to adjust 5v up or down to get it to work. Sometimes CTHR will boot and not accept any inputs, not even the test and service switch on the Chihiro motherboard.

Could that maybe be an issue here? Maybe measure the 5v and make sure it's staying pretty consistent when the game is booted... maybe adjust up to 5.2 or something and fully power down and try again.

I confirmed I get the same behavior as @Omni11 on my NAOMI2.

I have an N2 that came from an ID3 setup, and I have never messed with the bios, so I assume it's relatively stock and not a mutli-bios. I'm not seeing where I can get info on the bios in the test menu.

Edit: Scratch that. I have run it successfully now and posted below.

Last edited:
did i see a loose white cable here??
Wait a minute! That's going to be the issue, I think! That looks like a coin meter spoof wire.

I have a coin meter removed in my cab, so my Type 1 I/O would be in the same condition as @Omni11, and that's why I'm getting the same behavior!

I just plugged in my custom I/O that reports no issues with coins (i.e. coin meters present) and Faster Than Speed boots and plays perfectly in my NAOMI 2!

did i see a loose white cable here??
Wait a minute! That's going to be the issue, I think! That looks like a coin meter spoof wire.
I have a coin meter removed in my cab, so my Type 1 I/O would be in the same condition as @Omni11, and that's why I'm getting the same behavior!

I just plugged in my custom I/O that reports no issues with coins (i.e. coin meters present) and Faster Than Speed boots and plays perfectly in my NAOMI 2!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
It wasn't me, it was your setup. I like happy endings :)

Can you please guys confirm that both driving games work 100% for you?

Can you please guys confirm that both driving games work 100% for you?
In my limited playtesting on my custom I/O, it looks like controls are working fine. I noticed on FTS for the brake pedal in calibration I'm seeing where the analog value is jumping quite a lot and automatically filled in a large portion of the meter before I pressed it in. I honestly don't know if it's a matter of me reporting the value incorrectly or if it's interpreting something incorrectly, but I think I'm handing that channel the same as the others. The brake pedal appeared to work correctly in game, though. It's not like it's auto-braking or anything as far as I can tell. I'll post a pic of the screen when I get a chance.

Here's a pic of the FTS calibration screen:
FTS calibration screen.png
It's like it keeps jumping from -92 to 0 automatically.

Here's a pic of MS calibration for comparison:
MS calibaration screen.png
The brake value consistently stays at -92/-91, leading me to believe the FTS brake issue isn't due to my I/O.

weird question but is the brake signal split across 2 analog inputs? if you set analog values for channel 3,4, etc. does it effect the brake value on the input screen?

weird question but is the brake signal split across 2 analog inputs? if you set analog values for channel 3,4, etc. does it effect the brake value on the input screen?
That's an interesting theory.

My only evidence against this is that for all other channels not in use, I'm reporting 0x00 without actually reading any analog data on my Arduino, which should NOT equate to 0 on this meter. This meter treats 0 as the center which would be around hex value 0x80 reported by for an analog channel.

Last edited:
Back