What's new
Can you please guys confirm that both driving games work 100% for you?
In my limited playtesting on my custom I/O, it looks like controls are working fine. I noticed on FTS for the brake pedal in calibration I'm seeing where the analog value is jumping quite a lot and automatically filled in a large portion of the meter before I pressed it in. I honestly don't know if it's a matter of me reporting the value incorrectly or if it's interpreting something incorrectly, but I think I'm handing that channel the same as the others. The brake pedal appeared to work correctly in game, though. It's not like it's auto-braking or anything as far as I can tell. I'll post a pic of the screen when I get a chance.
@Mitsurugi-w I think he reported something like that in the past. So IIRC FTS had random brake jumps but MS was OK. Is that right?

The brake value consistently stays at -92/-91, leading me to believe the FTS brake issue isn't due to my I/O.
Ok, so the steering wheel is behaving similarly in FTS when I move it off center. The meter quickly fluctuates between 0 and the actual value. Accelerator is not doing this.

So IIRC FTS had random brake jumps but MS was OK. Is that right?
I think we posted at the same time. MS looks fine on all analog channels. FTS looks to jump between the center (0) and actual value for both Steering and Brake.

did i see a loose white cable here??
Wait a minute! That's going to be the issue, I think! That looks like a coin meter spoof wire.
I have a coin meter removed in my cab, so my Type 1 I/O would be in the same condition as @Omni11, and that's why I'm getting the same behavior!

I just plugged in my custom I/O that reports no issues with coins (i.e. coin meters present) and Faster Than Speed boots and plays perfectly in my NAOMI 2!
Wow, going to have to look into that white cable this weekend. Thanks for catching that.

@Mitsurugi-w I think he reported something like that in the past. So IIRC FTS had random brake jumps but MS was OK. Is that right?
Yes we were trying some tests on that before I moved. Maximum Speed worked perfectly but was having some brake issues and rarely steering issues in FTS.

In my limited playtesting on my custom I/O, it looks like controls are working fine. I noticed on FTS for the brake pedal in calibration I'm seeing where the analog value is jumping quite a lot and automatically filled in a large portion of the meter before I pressed it in.
I believe this is common problem when reading analog input with arduino. the reading value can be jumpy. there're many ways to "smooth" them, i.e. this, or this one, or this. but i never tried them personally, so i don't know which would work best. i once made an usb game controller hid and have same problem, but no chance to try out the filters.

In my limited playtesting on my custom I/O, it looks like controls are working fine. I noticed on FTS for the brake pedal in calibration I'm seeing where the analog value is jumping quite a lot and automatically filled in a large portion of the meter before I pressed it in.
I believe this is common problem when reading analog input with arduino. the reading value can be jumpy. there're many ways to "smooth" them, i.e. this, or this one, or this. but i never tried them personally, so i don't know which would work best. i once made an usb game controller hid and have same problem, but no chance to try out the filters.
They jump slightly, but not to the degree that I would be seeing the reported behavior. In all other games and even in Maximum Speed, I don't get the same behavior.

When I get a chance I can plug my Type 1 I/O back up and spoof the missing coin meter and see if FTS behaves the same with that I/O.

I'm inclined to agree with @winteriscoming that degree of jumping is also happening with a regular JVS, so it's rather a conversion issue that I need to take care of.

I wanted to follow up on the analog issue I reported for FTS.

It appears the issue is only in the initialization screen at boot. When I go into the input test menu after initialization, the values for steering and brake do not seem to be jumping. They stay steady.

Given that the initialization screen is just for inputting the extremes of the analog channels, I don't think the jumping is affecting anything because the necessary portion of the bar gets filled up on the affected channels anyway. The jump only tends towards the middle of the bar, which falls within the range on both the steering and brake.

My impression based on behavior in-game is that there are no issues with these channels. It may not be worth messing with unless others report issues in-game.

What about MS. Is it also working well for you in-game?

@Mitsurugi-w IIRC you said that "Maximum Speed worked perfectly but was having some brake issues and rarely steering issues in FTS."
I'm confused now :)

I noticed the same thing but even after calibrating from the in game menu I would see some issues. Mainly steering but maybe I just suck at the game too. I never seem to be able to beat the computer, ever.

MS works perfect for me.

One more FTS observation on the analog issue:

I didn't realize you could get back into the calibration menu. It currently boots into the calibration menu first, and that's where I see the jumping. If I proceed and let the game start, go into test menu and then calibration, I am not seeing any jumping on the calibration screen.

Edit: However, coins seem to be unresponsive after getting back into the game from test menu calibration. I can get back into test menu and see coins activate momentarily in I/O Switch Test, but never seem to coin up in game.

Edit 2: It seems no inputs, except service/test are responsive in the given scenario. I edited coins to turn on free play and cannot start a game. Is entering the calibration menu after game start known to kill inputs in game?

Last edited:
One more FTS observation on the analog issue:

I didn't realize you could get back into the calibration menu. It currently boots into the calibration menu first, and that's where I see the jumping. If I proceed and let the game start, go into test menu and then calibration, I am not seeing any jumping on the calibration screen.

Edit: However, coins seem to be unresponsive after getting back into the game from test menu calibration. I can get back into test menu and see coins activate momentarily in I/O Switch Test, but never seem to coin up in game.

Edit 2: It seems no inputs, except service/test are responsive in the given scenario. I edited coins to turn on free play and cannot start a game. Is entering the calibration menu after game start known to kill inputs in game?
I wasn't aware of that.

I checked that "loose" white cable in my IO again. I forgot that's just a quick hack I did to get the shifter to work in the up position for crazy taxi and maximum speed.
As others are posting, maximum speed works fine netbooting with a naomi 2. FTS doesn't work. When I have the time I will try my setup with an original naomi.

I checked that "loose" white cable in my IO again. I forgot that's just a quick hack I did to get the shifter to work in the up position for crazy taxi and maximum speed.
As others are posting, maximum speed works fine netbooting with a naomi 2. FTS doesn't work. When I have the time I will try my setup with an original naomi.
Are 2 coin meters either wired up or spoofed in your cab?

Try to boot Jambo Safari and see what your results are. It won't boot without 2 coin meter.

Back