What's new
A calibration note: For the OR2 wheel, I get better results in FTS if I don't calibrate all the way to the extremes. If I just fill up about 4 bars on either side, I get much more responsive steering.

I did note when trying to calibrate for more sensitive braking, that my car did brake automatically without my foot on the pedal. I don't know if that was due to actual analog jumps or if it's related to the reported analog issue. When I calibrate brake all the way to the extreme, I don't get this behavior in-game.

I haven't mastered drifting, but it does appear to be needed in this game. After a lot of attempts I was able to beat a race. :P

It cheats in favor of the computer, though! I saw my rival t-bone a car and keep on moving. I seem to crash and spin like crazy when I do that.

I checked that "loose" white cable in my IO again. I forgot that's just a quick hack I did to get the shifter to work in the up position for crazy taxi and maximum speed.
As others are posting, maximum speed works fine netbooting with a naomi 2. FTS doesn't work. When I have the time I will try my setup with an original naomi.
Are 2 coin meters either wired up or spoofed in your cab?
Try to boot Jambo Safari and see what your results are. It won't boot without 2 coin meter.
Jambo works fine.

FTS doesn't work.
Can you please elaborate? What do you get? Black Screen? Not working controls?
First post in this thread has the video of what happens. It behaves very strangely, game goes right back to test menu at startup unless I hold service button down. At startup from test menu it will play the intro video then go to black screen.
The game's controls are registering in the setup menu.
winteriscoming mentioned the coin up and freeplay not working, I have same experience. When I do first get it to boot up I see the credit/coin text at the bottom of screen. When it auto boots back to test menu and I get it to start again the credit text is missing.

Don't pull your hair out trying to help figure out what's wrong with my setup for FTS. I hear it's not a great game anyways and I have plenty of other racers working just fine. It's just interesting to mess with this stuff and see if I can make it work.

FTS doesn't work.
First post in this thread has the video of what happens. It behaves very strangely, game goes right back to test menu at startup unless I hold service button down. At startup from test menu it will play the intro video then go to black screen.The game's controls are registering in the setup menu.
winteriscoming mentioned the coin up and freeplay not working, I have same experience. When I do first get it to boot up I see the credit/coin text at the bottom of screen. When it auto boots back to test menu and I get it to start again the credit text is missing.

Don't pull your hair out trying to help figure out what's wrong with my setup for FTS. I hear it's not a great game anyways and I have plenty of other racers working just fine. It's just interesting to mess with this stuff and see if I can make it work.
OK. All Clear. I thought for a second that you got a blank screen.

FTS doesn't work.
First post in this thread has the video of what happens. It behaves very strangely, game goes right back to test menu at startup unless I hold service button down. At startup from test menu it will play the intro video then go to black screen.The game's controls are registering in the setup menu.

I noticed after setting free play, I could hard reboot (don't have battery backup so have to netboot again) and the configuration stays in memory. In this scenario the automatic calibration screen at first boot does not come up and I can play. It might be worth a shot to see if that gets you playable. So first boot, set up calibration, maybe put on free play, hard reboot (netboot again if needed) and maybe it will be playable.

For me what I think I'm observing is that no inputs except service/test work in-game after exiting the test menu.

This aligns with your findings because you're going to test menu to verify inputs are working. I don't know what to make of your initial unresponsive inputs, though, as I don't have that issue anymore and was blaming it on a missing coin meter.

I have to say it doesn't seem like a bad game to me at all. I may like it more than Maximum Speed since it's street racing as opposed to more standard track racing.. Though I admittedly haven't put much time in on either title.

I'm working on it guys.... will keep you posted on my progress.... too much on my plate at the moment.

In theory you should be able to get this running in a Jambo Safari, Crazy Taxi, or 18 Wheeler, or Route 66, or other Naomi Upright cabs.

I've got both maxspeed and ftspeed booting at least, and I got the configuration screen for the IO, but didn't seem to have any input on FTSpeed (one version no steering / pedal IO, and one version I can't get buttons working outside the test menus and black screen after the intro), but MaxSpeed seems to work!

It is surprisingly playable too.

DjxF17EXcAIr_Fd.jpg

Attachments

• DjxF17CWsAAEs7n.jpg
    DjxF17CWsAAEs7n.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 284
  • DjxF16-X4AAnPKP.jpg
    DjxF16-X4AAnPKP.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 303
  • DjxF17DWwAAxWUl.jpg
    DjxF17DWwAAxWUl.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 271

Attachments

• DjxXdToW0AA6Msr.jpg
    DjxXdToW0AA6Msr.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 361
  • DjxXdTnWsAIA_F7.jpg
    DjxXdTnWsAIA_F7.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 277
  • DjxXdTiWwAAMRD0.jpg
    DjxXdTiWwAAMRD0.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 278
I havent touched this in a while. So you mean that putting it in regular coin mode makes it work properly? With all buttons, wheel and pedals?

My first attempt was with ftspeed.bin, and when it booted I had zero input.

I switched to ftspeed_v6.bin, and tried again, this time I got inputs as expected in the config screen, however when I booted the game nothing seemed to work at all. I believe during my trouble shooting I had switched over to free play mode even though my cab has working mechs ( I got sick of adding coins via the service buttons). Once it booted for what ever reason it still didn't want to let me press start, and I noticed after the opening demo ran it locked up at a black screen. I think Switched to ftspeed_v5.bin and simultaneously turned off the Free play after reading one of the comments above. This time everything worked, I rebooted and tried ftspeed_v6.bin again, and it all worked again.

The common thread for me in it NOT working was having the coin settings set to Free Play, vs coining up with my real gear. I may have gone in and turned the feedback setting to off too. I'll try to get the details of what worked ironed out later.

Back