What's new

penrhos

Grand Master
Reaction score
I bought a broken PANA Custom supergun from YAJ as it wasn't getting any bids so the price was nice and low. So for the grand sum of 9,800 YEN (inc postage & fees) it was mine. It sat in SMJ storage for a month while I picked up some other bulky goodies and then I sea freighted the lot back to the UK.

62 days later it was sat in my garage ready for a rebuild.

Initial checks weren't good, one auto-fire switch was missing,two fire buttons jammed when you pressed them and there was no +5V when you powered it up. Worst of all the front edge had black duck-tape covering a whole load of rusty mess.
DSC04443 (Large).JPG

Pop it open and all the internal wires are soldered onto the pins for the switches - So I'll be getting the soldering iron out to fix that little lot, good job I've got a working one I can use as a map when I reconnect everything.
DSC04444 (Large).JPG

A quick clean inside and all's good, no rust, nothing is missing. I've already swapped the power lead for a UK one with an Earth connection in this picture.
DSC04445 (Large).JPG

As I'm in the UK - Flick the two switches from NTSC to PAL for video output (encoder does s-video & composite video output, there's also an RGB output on an 8-pin din on the side).
DSC04446 (Large).JPG

Another reason I like the PANA's they have 110/220 switchable PSU's inside - so slide the switch across to 220V and you have a UK spec supergun - simples!
DSC04447 (Large).JPG

On the end you have the edge connector and all the adjusters & leds - Autofire speed & indicator, RGB+Sync adjustments, Speaker on/off, stereo/mono switch, volume pot. A headphone socket & the RGB output socket.
When switching it on only the +12V & -5V leds were lit (so no +5V output).
DSC04448 (Large).JPG

Another thing I love about the PANA - all power lines are fused and the one for +5V was blown, swapped it for a fresh fuse and everything is working again!
DSC04449 (Large).JPG

So that's the electrics & insides sorted - what about the outside?

First I stripped off the tape & sanded down the rust and grime, masked off the upper half of the panel and tried respraying just the leading edge - it looked shite so to plan-B

I removed all the buttons,switches & sticks and stripped it back to bare metal using Nitromours. Put rust treatment along the front edge and gave it two coats of primer, followed by a couple of coats of matt black paint.DSC04429 (Large).JPG

DSC04430 (Large).JPG

DSC04438 (Medium).JPG

I still wasn't quite happy with the finish so I thought of "muddy" on J+ and UKVAC and picked up a repro' Electrocoin CPO.
DSC04437 (Medium).JPG

After a bit of a fiddle and 30 minutes with a craft knife to cut all the holes and trim off the excess

Player 1 - Sanwa OBSF30's in pink - Sticks are LS-32's.
DSC04456 (Large).JPG

Player 2 - Sanwa OBSN30's in Green - Sticks are LS-32's.
DSC04457 (Large).JPG

Another 30 minutes of careful trimming with a craft knife for ventilation slots along the back.
DSC04463 (Large).JPG

And new rocker switches for the auto-fires & square push-to-make buttons for P1-start, Credit, P2-Start.
DSC04465 (Large).JPG

And I think we're getting there.

An hour or so of soldering to reconnect all the buttons - good job I have another one I could reference for all the connections.

Player-1
DSC04459 (Large).JPG

Player-2
DSC04458 (Large).JPG

Reconnect to the PCB on the end so buttons are connected to the edge connector.
DSC04464 (Large).JPG

Put it all back together and plug it into my trusty 1084S via RGB
DSC04470 (Large).JPG

Stick a JNX Atlas on the end of the JAMMA loom and plug into a Pandora-3 for a bit of testing, tweak teh +5V a little...
DSC04471 (Large).JPG

And we're good to go.

Next project - Dead PANA custom to VGA Supergun.

Last edited:
I have one of these things...but the power supply went and it was annoying trying to get another to fit. I do like the speaker on them - though mine plays a bit low.

Nice job!

Not to keen on the colour choice, but that's preference. :)

Nice!

I guess I'm more a fan of matt black finshes, but looks much better than the original one anyway!

I think it would look better with red buttons & balltops - but I only had 8 of those spare, I do have enough of the black/grey Sanwa's but they didn't look right on the red/black/blue background. If I swap them it'll either be for plain red or red with a black surround.

Nice. I got a Sigma Raijin sitting around that needs the same treatment. Maybe I'll get to it after the holidays.

Very cool. Glad to see it's properly earthed, I own a Vega 9000dx and it wasn't earthed, friends Sega Boardmaster is the same. Wonder if anyone's ever been hurt using these things in Japan?

As I'd had a few comments about the button colour choice - I ordered some black & red Sanwa's to replace the others, I used black ball tops as the red ones I had didn't quite match the shade of red on the buttons... And I have to agree it looks 100% better now.

20161223_230406 (Large).jpg

It's nice priced! "unfortunately" I have more than enough Superguns and arcade panels.

I guess you are going to sell it quick anyway ;)

Last edited:
That's why I'm selling a couple - When you have 9 superguns sat on the shelf and tend to use the same one all the time it's time to thin out the collection and sell some of the duplicates.

Back