What's new

decimata

Student
Reaction score
I have a Killer Instinct arcade machine and when the controls were originally wired up they were done like crap.

I don't want to solder anything because I'm lazy. So does anyone know were I can get a kit or pre done wires that would connect from the joystick and buttons to the harness? Like a "plug it in" all nicely done set?

First of all you should never solder anything in a harness. Soldering should be reserved for PCBs. Harnesses should be all crimps.

Is your Killer instinct machine a dedicated cab or a conversion? In a dedicated cab Midway uses this single in-line pin header connectors that are self crimping (I don't know the name), when I restored my dedicated KI2 I bought a used harness on ebay from another machine and stole the connectors off of it then re-pinned them with all the correct wire colors from the service manual. (If anyone else knows the actual name of these connectors please enlighten me)

13618413183_81d81ea2d1_b.jpg

The buttons and sticks assuming you're using the original HAPP/IL equipment should all use 0.25 sized quick disconnects. I personally recommend the open barrel uninsulated connectors like those sold by FA: https://www.focusattack.com/250-6-35mm-open-barrel-non-insulated-quick-disconnect-terminal/

with a separate insulation sleeve: https://www.focusattack.com/nylon-250-quick-connector-insulation-sleeve/

not only do these look great, but they're the only way to get a proper reliable crimp (with a proper crimping tool).

of course if you're in a conversion cab then none of these connectors may be correct for your setup.

It's a dedicated cab, and those connectors looks like what I have in my cab. I feel like there are two sets of them.... I'll take a look at the links and compare the pictures I took for the connector. Thanks so much for the help, I really want to finish restoring this to its original glory and I'm pretty close....

It's a dedicated cab, and those connectors looks like what I have in my cab. I feel like there are two sets of them
There are 3 connectors going to the cp in a dedicated KI cab one for player 1 controls, one for player 2 controls and a 3rd for the player 1 and 2 kick buttons.

The Player 1 and 2 connectors should come off of the JAMMA harness and end at the bottom of the control panel box on the right side. then there is a male to male connector and a second harness that runs to all the quick disconnects on the buttons. The kick harness is similar except it has a harness that runs from the kick header on the PCB to the bottom right of the control panel box instead of the JAMMA harness.

This is the only picture I have of my setup:
ki2_day4_05.jpg

If you need additional pictures of specific harness sections let me know and I can snap some.

Back