What's new

Hellfromabove

Professional
Reaction score
So I got a Madonna cabinet this past weekend. The cabinet has been in storage for 12 years, but time has not been kind to it. One of the things I tested was the monitor, but the cone does not seem to light up orange which means it probably needs a replacement chassis. However, the monitor that the Madonna has is an MS8-25F which is semi hard to come by. I found these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-R...hash=item1c2a31489f:m:m3FLQiCB1TWUiaWocPJ6S4Q

It looks to be a semi-universal chassis for 25", 27", and 29" monitors. My question is what are the advantages and disadvantages of using this as opposed to a chassis specifically made for the monitor one has? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Any time you use a chassis not dialed specifically for your tube/ring/yoke combo you run the risk of severe/uncorrectable geometry errors among other potentially damaging side effects.

I would recommend you replace the entire monitor (save the frame you might need it to mount), if you can't find your specific chassis...
Or send the chassis way to be reworked/repaired (if possible), I sent my old WG7500k to Chad for a full recap+flyback replacement (seems he mostly only does American stuff).

I have heard of another guy on the east coast who can work on Nanao's, but I never got his contact info (because I necked my tube on a narrow basement door frame *snap*) before I got to repairing the chassis.
Maybe another member can help out? I'm sorry I'm blanking so hard on the nickname, something like East Coast Khai (but I know that isn't it).

All good, thanks for that info. I did find a local company called PNL that does rework and repairs. Thankfully, they're about an hour from me so I might just drive it by when I'm ready to work on my Madonna.

Btw, what does "5K KANDY KLUB" mean :P ?

did find a local company called PNL that does rework and repairs.
always go for repairs over replacement.

Those universal chassis "work" and AFAIK don't have any significant reliability issues, but quality wise they're fairly crappy especially when compared to a rebuilt Nanano or WG.

All good, thanks for that info. I did find a local company called PNL that does rework and repairs. Thankfully, they're about an hour from me so I might just drive it by when I'm ready to work on my Madonna.

Btw, what does "5K KANDY KLUB" mean :P ?
I shipped a chassis to PNL for repair a few months ago. Had some horizontal issues that I didn't want to mess with.
He has the tubes for most monitors so only needed to ship the boards.
They did pretty good work and returned it pretty quick.

always go for repairs over replacement.

Those universal chassis "work" and AFAIK don't have any significant reliability issues, but quality wise they're fairly crappy especially when compared to a rebuilt Nanano or WG.
Noted, thanks for that info!

I spent a pile of money on one cab.
Lol, gotcha. If I may ask, which cab?

I shipped a chassis to PNL for repair a few months ago. Had some horizontal issues that I didn't want to mess with.
He has the tubes for most monitors so only needed to ship the boards.
They did pretty good work and returned it pretty quick.
Very helpful information! I'm glad you had a good experience with them. I'll definitely take it there then.

Another question, so my monitor has a good amount of screen burn (I think it was a dedicated Mahjong cab in a previous life). I take it there is no way to replace the glass envelope on the front that is burned and get it replaced, right?

I am shipping my MS8-29FSG chassis to PNL this Friday. I have heard nothing but good things about them. Keep you guys posted on how it goes.

PNL received my chassis on Monday. They then called me the same day to get my billing info. Today, I received notification that it is on the way back shipped via UPS w/tracking. The service was $80. The total cost of the service with return shipping was just over $103. Not too bad.

I'll update this with the results of this work once it gets here next week or so.

PNL received my chassis on Monday. They then called me the same day to get my billing info. Today, I received notification that it is on the way back shipped via UPS w/tracking. The service was $80. The total cost of the service with return shipping was just over $103. Not too bad.

I'll update this with the results of this work once it gets here next week or so.
Awesome, thanks for the update!

That's pretty much the same price and turnaround I had. I've heard it may take longer if he's swamped with work, which is to be expected.

Hope it goes well. I was really pleased when I got my stuff back, plugged it in and had a beautifully working old crt glowing back at me.
Put the crt in the cab and had quite a few beers enjoying 2 player T-mek for the first time since I was a teenager.

Welp, I got it back and it still doesn't work. I am asking him to give me a call.

Back